Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia call to ACTION - VA DMV denies Tesla dealer license!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,

Elon just tweeted a few hours ago that Virginia DMV denied Tesla a dealer license! This is really bad for the people of virginia. Let's get organized and write to the DMV Commissioner, Governor and CC your Congressman and Senators. Other ideas? please post widely on FB/Twitter as well.

Twitter / elonmusk: Not all good news. Virginia ...

- - - Updated - - -

Contact details for Virginia DMV Commissioner:

Richard D. Holcomb
Commissioner
EMAIL ADDRESS [email protected]
TELEPHONE - EXT (804) 367-6606
FAX (804) 367-2296

I spoke with my state Senator, Adam Ebbin. He is going to be speaking with the DMV Commissioner tomorrow afternoon. I'll post what I hear of the conversation.

Apparently the DMV has a standard reply for anyone who asks about the decision:

Thank you for your interest in this matter. After carefully reviewing the information and evidence provided at the administrative hearing, it was found that the statutory requirements in Section 46.2-1572 of the Code of Virginia had not been met. However, Tesla is not prohibited from gathering additional evidence and presenting it to DMV as a new request at a future date. Please see the attached copy of the decision to more fully understand the law and rationale for the decision in this case.

License to Sell Cars in VA

Tesla has been given dealer's license to sell cars directly to Virginia residents. It is a done deal and Tesla is working to meet its basic requirements such as number of parking space required at the site, etc...The license to sell kicks in approxinately couple of weeks. They are looking to sell from Tyson's Corner store and are working with Mall management. The news came from local Tesla representative.

Terrific news! I think Tesla is still going to pursue a legislative agenda because the dealer's license deal is likely a single exemption for 1 year for the Tyson's Galleria only. To get additional stores or service centers, Tesla would need to apply for the exemption individually and apply again each year. To truly settle things, Tesla needs legislative action which will start in January. So the fight has only just begun.

Still, good news!

Just got this from Virginia DMV Commissioner's office, confirming what Tesla rep has told us:

"The Commissioner is pleased that Tesla, the Virginia Automobile Dealers Association (VADA), and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), through counsel, came to an agreement and avoided litigation regarding the operation of a Tesla dealership in Virginia. After the initial ruling, the parties to the hearing before DMV engaged in discussions and, after consideration of those discussions and additional information presented, the Commissioner could determine that Tesla may own a Tesla dealership in Northern Virginia. To operate as a dealer, Tesla must meet the statutory requirements applicable to dealers and obtain a license from the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board.

Thank you,
Andrew

Andrew Owens
Legal Services Analyst
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
2300 West Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23220-0999
Office: (804) 474-2238
Visit us at Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles "