Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luxury Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These guys seem kinda lame to me.

luxury-electric-2010.jpg

"The Luxury Electric Company was created in 2007. It is the trade name for Potential Difference, Inc. In addition to the implied social meaning, potential difference is also the electrical science definition of voltage."
Heh... Clearly written by someone who doesn't understand "electrical science".

From the press release on ABG:
"The new battery technology will allow full charges from any outlet in as little as 10 minutes."

Last edited:
These guys seem kinda lame to me.

Heh... Clearly written by someone who doesn't understand "electrical science".

From the press release on ABG:
"The new battery technology will allow full charges from any outlet in as little as 10 minutes."

probably the author is ahead of the traditional "electrical scientist".

For example (there are other technical solutions as well feasable):

If your on a 380 Volt industrial outlet (available in Europe and i guess in the US as well, at every petrol station, Wall Mart, car service station, restaurant parking lot you name it) and charge a (super) capacitor (which subsequently converts that electricity into chemical energy) - e.g. to a suitable battery why not charge in minutes?

Last edited:
probably the author is ahead of the traditional "electrical scientist".

For example (there are other technical solutions as well feasable):

If your on a 380 Volt industrial outlet (available in Europe and i guess in the US as well, at every petrol station, Wall Mart, car service station, restaurant parking lot you name it) and charge a (super) capacitor (which subsequently converts that electricity into chemical energy) - e.g. to a suitable battery why not charge in minutes?

I did some quick numbers using the roadster as a baseline, with a range of 140 miles. These numbers are rough estimates, but I calculate that for a 140 mile range driving at about 55mph, the energy storage system will need to be roughly 30kW. At this size, it would take about 35 min. to charge the pack using 240V at 210Amps. Assuming the worse case error in my estimates, 17.5 min to charge a pack that can go 140 miles.

You all can decide how to use these numbers. They can be fudged to make 10 min work. A higher voltage at the charger might work, but that is not practical. Then again, 480V lines are doable. They key to making EV's work is to make charging stations as compatible with the power infrastructure as possible. That means, 120V and 220V for consumers, and greater than 240 for commercial.