Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have trouble with door exterior door not working? The handle comes out but does not respond when you touch it to open. You can open from the inside. Guess I will have to add that to my fix it list along with the condensation in the rear tail light.

Had this once with my front passenger door. I tugged on the handle, but nothing. I locked and unlocked the car, and it started working again. As I say, just the once.

Had this a few times with the passenger door, and with the trunk.

The passenger door; if I move & open the rear door, the front door then works.

The trunk; I just jiggle my keys in my pocket and half the time it then works.

Strange stuff. Doesn't happen every day, but often enough to cause a worry when I go to demo the car.

In my car I got 2 weeks ago, the auto present only works about 50% of the time but at least it opens when I touch it.

I have a loaner car I picked up yesterday at the San Diego service center and it is having this problem. Several times yesterday although I opened it and the door handle was out, it wouldn't open. I have to click and open and reopen the lock several times before I can get in. This car is a P85 on 4.5 software. Annoying.

I've had this happen three times in 9 months of ownership. Its the achilles heel of the model S. Each time I take it in and they replace the entire handle assembly. They have trouble keeping enough handles in the service center.

They have redesigned the handles a few times to try and get better reliability. The most obvious change was adding a bit of movement to the handle when you pull it. I ended up with quite a mix of old and new style handles on the car. Last week when my drivers door handle failed, they just went ahead and swapped out all the remaining old style handles for new ones.

Doesn't happen to me all the time, but it does very randomly. I'd say 10% of the time it will not open.

There is one issue with doors not opening once in a while. It's completely a different thing when they break and don't work at all.

Maybe the OP can clarify if the door's failure to open is an occasional thing or permanent?

Last edited:
Anyone have trouble with door exterior door not working? The handle comes out but does not respond when you touch it to open. You can open from the inside. Guess I will have to add that to my fix it list along with the condensation in the rear tail light.

Yes, switched for new R R at Tesla center vin 3507, they said YES, no problem, now drivers door acting up.

If it were possible, yes. Does anyone have Model S handles that work 100% of the time?

On firmware versions that are downloaded with a laptop(initial and service center), the handles work flawlessly 100% of the time for me. Once you get an over the air update, there are a few quirks that show up every once in a while. I would attribute weird handle and other sporadic malfunctions to incomplete firmware downloads most of the time.

On firmware versions that are downloaded with a laptop(initial and service center), the handles work flawlessly 100% of the time for me. Once you get an over the air update, there are a few quirks that show up every once in a while. I would attribute weird handle and other sporadic malfunctions to incomplete firmware downloads most of the time.

I think there are two things going on here. I agree that a lot of the sporadic malfunctions are due to firmware issues, but I'm also convinced a lot are mechanical. For example, when I put my car in Park and one or more doors pops open on its own as the handles extend, I'm convinced that's the microswitch inadvertently activating as the handle rolls out (i.e. a mechanical fault).