Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Wheel Continental Tire Blowout, Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
FYI:

I had sidewall blow out due to pothole on 21" wheels.

Tire Rack is the best place to buy any tires, period. They have almost everything in stock, ship immediately, and can deliver overnight direct to authorized installer if you so need. In my case, Tire Rack and local Tesla Service center both had in stock, but Tire Rack price was $111 less expensive. Tesla also quoted me over $100 to install new tire, and a week to schedule me, whereas going rate for a premium shop that knows how to handle expensive tires/rims etc is <$35 and they can do it any day. So, I save about $150 using Tire Rack and a local installer, plus it gets done as soon as UPS shows up with the tire.

I had a lot of confusion regarding warranty. The Continental tire has a 1 year or 2/32" of tread warranty for road hazards, which includes pothole damage. It took me about 2 days to talk to all of the parties, but here's some info:

* First cust svc rep at Continental said that Tesla would have to submit any warranty claim, since technically they sold the tire OEM to Tesla (not me).
* Tesla (both local service center and galactic headquarters) had to circle the wagons to determine if there was warranty or how to handle. Apparently, this is not something they've figured out yet.
* Tire Rack said if I send old tire back to them, they'd submit to Continental, but I was dubious due to what Continental said.
* I called back Continental, and 2nd service rep said there's NO road hazard warranty on the OEM Tesla tires - though there is one if you buy aftermarket... another good reason to buy it at Tire Rack. Rep said nonetheless they would start a file for me, and if I wanted to have my installer call in the tread wear information and serial number on the damaged tire and I submitted invoice for new tire, they'd think about helping.
* I'm going to send the old tire back to Tire Rack to submit for warranty. I figure they have more leverage with Continental than I do.

So, at worst, I'm out about $325 and 3 days use of car.
At best, I'll have $288 (price of tire) refunded.

I'll post result when this is all done. So far, very impressed with the service from Continental and Tire Rack, especially if Continental comes across with some reimbursement.
Not blown away by Tesla Service on this one, this is something they should easily know the answer to. But, they're like my kids, still love them...
:wink:

UPDATE/RESOLUTION:
* Continental took down my information and gave me a file # to use as reference.
* Purchased new tire from Tire Rack, shipped to installer. Cost: $288 plus tax and $21.27 shipping. Installer received next day. Probably because I'm in Chicago and Tire Rack is in northern Indiana.
* I brought in wheel and tire (didn't want to tow).
* To raise car, you need low profile jack, and pay attention to jacking points. Had to put small block on top of jack to make sure jack did not contact outside jacking point, which is quite small and rectangular.
* Installer put on new tire, balanced, etc. Took less than 1 hour. Cost: $31
* I collected wheel/tire, and replaced. You've got to have torque wrench. Local Tesla service center told me 130 foot pounds of torque for lug nuts.
* I washed old tire, and sent back to Tire Rack. Had to call them, give them Continental file #, and they sent me a Fed Ex voucher for shipping. All you do is take tire and voucher to Fed Ex. No packaging, no $.
* Exactly 1 day later, I checked tracking number and confirmed that Tire Rack had received.
* That same evening, I got notification that Tire Rack had refunded my PayPal $281, which is cost of new tire, less shipping back (which had been paid by their voucher).

I think this was awesome service from both Tire Rack and Continental - especially keeping mind this OEM tire was not under warranty and this was a "courtesy" replacement. Not sure how long Continental will bend over backwards for Tesla owners, but this sure won them some long term allegiance from me! Total elapsed time: 2 days. Total net cost to me: ~$60. That's not counting $150 for low profile jack and torque wrench, but those are things I want to have anyway.

One other note: The Tesla Model S tire repair kit has an integrated jar of tire sealant. That is NOT replaceable. They say you should buy a new kit after using up, but that would be silly. The inflator still works fine, so I'm going to get a bottle of Slime from Pep Boys for about $10 and continue to use the Tesla kit as inflator.

Last edited:
Same experience here.

My first tire, I purchased from Tire Rack. I included it with the car and Tesla put it on when they repaired my curb rash. It was not eligible for warranty from Continental, I learned, because it was OEM.

The next failure was the new tire, I had the local Continental dealer handle, so that he could handle the warranty service. I'm told Continental's warranty claims can take up to 4 months to resolve fully, including credit.

It seems like Continental will cover OEM tires. Michelin doesn't.

So, technically, you can take the tire to any continental dealer to get it replaced. Here is the warranty pdf: http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/CO0912.pdf. It could save you some time or trouble because you wouldn't need to ship ti back to tire rack. Does tire rack cover the shipping costs?

Read carefully. Warranty applies only to replacement tires.

I picked up a screw in a tread block on my Continentals a few weeks ago - only 1500 miles on them. I called Continental to ask if their new tire road hazard warranty applied to OEM tires. They said no, only after market ones I purchase myself, but as a "one time goodwill gesture" they offered to replace that tire for me for free. Great customer service with Continental.