Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody want to comment on the craziness of trying to tow one of these with a Model S?
( Yes I know Tesla says dont do it )

The problem, as I see it, is that it would significantly reduce your range, and usually when you tow one of these it is because you're planning on taking a road trip and travelling a significant distance. On the other hand, I guess you'd have someplace nice to relax as you re-charge every 50 miles or so :biggrin:

My hypothetical scenario is to get the thing about 260 miles from my house to the Oregon coast ( with a supercharger at the ~100 mile mark ). Once on the coast, short hops from one oceanside RV park to another with long lazy 40 amp recharges is fine.

Anybody want to comment on the craziness of trying to tow one of these with a Model S?
It's crazy because there's no trailer hitch on the Model S!

( Yes I know Tesla says dont do it )

I'd love to know how you plan to do it! I believe installing the trailer hitch (bolted or welded onto the chassis how exactly?) is almost certainly going to void nearly all of your warranty. If you're up for that, I'll be very entertained to read about it. Watch out for galvanic corrosion from aluminum/iron contact, watch out for the issues inherent in shifting the weight/force balance of a car not designed to tow anything, and, well, I'll be very entertained to see how you engineer it!

I have the Torklift hitch on my MS. However, I use it for my bike rack only and have not towed anything with it.

Torklift Central - Tesla Model S Ecohitch Trailer Hitch|Ecohitch|Seattle|Kent|Auburn|Puyallup|Tacoma|Renton|Covington|Sumner|Bellevue|Burien|Enumclaw|WA

Very cool. I have no idea how much weight that installation can tow -- it's hooked through bolts which are designed to hold, basically, a bumper -- but it's a nice design, and would obviously work well for a bike rack.

It was on their Facebook page. John Glenney in Kentucky is the owner.

image.jpg

I have been considering installing a TorkLift EcoHitch setup and using it to tow my motorcycle. I have gone back and forth and my main concern (past the range issue) is the autoleveling of the suspension. I've weighed my trailer at the ball receptor and it is ~150lbs of tongue weight. So it's not too bad it just really far back and that leverage point could make the suspension work overtime constantly auto-leveling.

My Subaru Impreza WRX towed it just fine with very little impact to the driving dynamics (gas mileage was another story).

I am still going back and forth on it and I feel buying a used Ford Transit Connect for $7k is much less risky then killing my suspension and paying for it out of pocket since I voided the warrantee by towing with the MS.

I would be very very worried about dynamic forces on my hitch towing a trailer. Sure your static tongue weight is ~150# or so. But what about as you decelerate, or go over a bump, or rise. You could easily put more than 1000# of force on that hitch. Not to mention lateral forces that are probably not designed into that hitch.

I am not saying you can't do it, or shouldn't do it. But be very careful, and expect failure, and hope for success. The picture of the lawn mower might not mean they actually pulled the trailer. And that hitch attachment wouldn't add any tongue weight (but would lateral weight) like a trailer would.

Think about this. You could probably pickup the trailer tongue by hand. But could you hold onto it while towing? Probably not. There are a lot of dynamic forces that will go into pulling a trailer. Make sure you evaluate them.

It was on their Facebook page. John Glenney in Kentucky is the owner.

Neato. That's one big battery-electric lawnmower. :) And here I was thinking that battery-electric lawnmowers weren't yet ready for really big yards! :)

Anyway, that's probably a light enough load (and low to the ground... and well balanced...) that it would be pretty safe. Doesn't say anything about whether it would work to tow an actual trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been considering installing a TorkLift EcoHitch setup and using it to tow my motorcycle.
Have you considered: if it's a small motorcycle, you might just be able to put it in the trunk.

I would be very very worried about dynamic forces on my hitch towing a trailer. Sure your static tongue weight is ~150# or so. But what about as you decelerate, or go over a bump, or rise. You could easily put more than 1000# of force on that hitch. Not to mention lateral forces that are probably not designed into that hitch.

I am not saying you can't do it, or shouldn't do it. But be very careful, and expect failure, and hope for success. The picture of the lawn mower might not mean they actually pulled the trailer. And that hitch attachment wouldn't add any tongue weight (but would lateral weight) like a trailer would.

Think about this. You could probably pickup the trailer tongue by hand. But could you hold onto it while towing? Probably not. There are a lot of dynamic forces that will go into pulling a trailer. Make sure you evaluate them.

This is definitely a concern. There is also the concern of going of significant bumps, uneven pavement, and emergency stops/starts. TorkLift does rate the hitch for 2000lbs (class 2) so that is an assurance that the properly mounted hitch can hold up to the stress that I would put to it. In the end I feel the juice isn't worth the squeeze on this one and replacing the suspension bits out of warranty will probably be more expensive then just buying a tow rig of some sorts.

Have you considered: if it's a small motorcycle, you might just be able to put it in the trunk.

The model S is big...just not that big :p The motorcycle that I want to trailer is my track bike and it only weighs 420lbs w/ all fluids ('07 Suzuki GSX-R 750). It's certainly not in the Harley Davidson weight class and shouldn't add too much stress to the car.

I got my Torqlift hitch installed months ago, just decided to make a dump run today. I have a light trailer, and have been hauling in trailers my whole life, including a RAV4EV and my gutless Prius. The Torqlift hitch is designed for 2000 lb load, 200 lb tongue, and I am nowhere near that, and I drive carefully when trailering.

Tesla is allowed to void only that which might be affected by the trailering. It does not "void your whole warranty". I can easily imagine greater than 200 extra lb in back by taking my brother and sister in law for a ride (500 lb).

Anyway, thought you might like a picture. Glad you can't see the dirt too well from there. I'll clean it up for the weekend, after the dump.

Trailer 002 sm.jpg

@roblab - You have inspired me. I am going to pull the trigger on the EcoHitch and give it a shot. If I don't feel comfortable I can just pull it off and sell it. No harm in giving it a shot and the cost of entry is low enough to not be a "pocket burden". This has been the main reason I haven't taken my motorcycle to the track this year since I don't have a towing solution anymore.

Edit: Has anyone wired up a harness for trailer lights?

Last edited: