Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dimming Broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night when driving home my model S running 4.4 refused to run in night-time mode when set to auto. It was around 2am. I have never seen this problem before, anyone else had this problem? Note that the headlights automatically turned on.

On 4.4 when I got my car. So I can't tell if its different. But, I have noticed that the "Controls" screen doesn't seem to go into night mode when I go into my garage. Lights come on, Looks like most of the touchscreen goes to dark mode. But the controls sub window stays bright. Again, not sure if thats normal.

I did notice that the nav screen didnt auto dim since 4.4. To correct it I choose another screen and then go back to nav and it appears dimmed. I know not a fix for auto dim but a work around to the blaring white light without manually dimming.

I noticed that in addition to not dimming the screens at night it is turning on the headlights during the day when the headlights are set to auto. Rebooting the displays made no difference. I'm scheduled to take my car in to service on Thursday to see what they say. I never had these issues with 4.3.

I did notice that the nav screen didnt auto dim since 4.4. To correct it I choose another screen and then go back to nav and it appears dimmed. I know not a fix for auto dim but a work around to the blaring white light without manually dimming.

I think somewhere after 4.1 (4.3?) the google map caching was "improved" to reduce the times where no map tiles were loaded and 3G signal was weak. A side effect of that was that going in/out of night mode did NOT refresh the tiles. I would often be in night mode from my garage and then start driving where the map remained dark. Toggling traffic on/off, for example, would force a refresh.

All in all IMO its an improvement over the blank tiles.