Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to ATL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arondaniel

Il Sessanta Caricato
Sep 20, 2011
Memphis
Hello everybody,

So my wife got an offer from GSU... We are very excited about moving to the ATL! I'm not sure exactly when, probably later this summer since they want her to teach in the fall.

Anyway, as you all know GA has a sweet EV credit whereas VA (my current state) has none. So moving creates an opportunity for me and maybe a problem too. My car should arrive here in early June, but the earliest conceivable moving date would be August I think. I emailed my DS and she said all they can do is hold the car for 30 days at the end of the delivery window. Not long enough for a GA delivery.

So the opportunity-- I _think_ I'll be eligible for the credit, since I'll have purchased the car in the same year as I registered in GA and started paying GA state income tax. I need to find out if there is a restriction for cars that were registered in another state previously.

And the problem-- driving a "40" kwh Tesla 600 miles... Not sure how that's going to work. I guess I could get it shipped, but that sounds expensive. Any suggestions?

Lastly, either way it'll be great to be in an area with Tesla service and other Tesla drivers around!

-Aron

I would probably think you would need one of these to get your car to Atlanta.

U-Haul: Equipment specs

As for the 60kWh it really depends on what your driving looks like. I have a 55mile round trip commute with 75% being on interstate at 70mph+ (driving against traffic). I could easily make my commute, and run errands after work. On a 40kWh pack.

But I will somewhat regularly drive to my office, drive all the way across town to a job site, then drive all the way back home making my daily miles 90 just commuting. Those days a 40kWh pack would work but would really stretch it, or make me change my driving habits.

Oh and don't plan on driving against traffic. I knew where I would be driving, and chose to (and was able to afford, and find) live in a place where traffic would not be a huge impact on me.

I would think that the car needs to be originally titled and put into service in Georgia for the State credit to apply, but I certainly could be wrong. You should probably check with the the State of Georgia to confirm.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gaepd.org/Files_PDF/forms/apb/levzev_fs.pdf There are some phone numbers in this PDF that are hopefully useful for you to find out about how you might make sure you can get the tax credit.

I would think that the car needs to be originally titled and put into service in Georgia for the State credit to apply, but I certainly could be wrong. You should probably check with the the State of Georgia to confirm.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gaepd.org/Files_PDF/forms/apb/levzev_fs.pdf There are some phone numbers in this PDF that are hopefully useful for you to find out about how you might make sure you can get the tax credit.

I talked to the Georgia EPA, they said cars purchased outside of GA are eligible once registered in GA.

What I just discovered though is this little thing called the TAVT... 6.5% of fair market value, as a one-time tax. So, regardless of the credit I surely don't want to pay 2% to VA and then turn around a month later and pay 6.5% to GA!

So... I really need Telsa to delay my delivery I think. Please Tesla, just one more 40kwh delay!! ;-)