Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging Lock - Prevent unauthorizzed disconnection at public charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the J1772's I use looks like this. Would the lock work on this or similar?

A3303599-BDEB-4608-AF9A-7A95A52038FA.JPG

That's an interesting question - I've seen that type but with a shorter shroud. Perhaps there's an added piece (as yet unconsidered) that could somehow work with the ring to operate even with that shroud

If it doesn't work for you, I'll take it back for a refund. I knew from the beginning there might be some adjustments to make or handles that we hadn't seen before.

To be specific: yes, only the J1772 has the issue this product is designed to prevent. So, in the following situations, the charger would lock to the car, and not unlock unless you were there and commanded it:
- Tesla Universal or High-power charger at home, hotel or work
- Supercharger anywhere

For charging anywhere else with J1772 public infrastructure, the solutions include:
- CapturePro charging lock
- for charging stations with the 'lock hole', you can insert a small luggage lock

I don't know of any other solutions out there, and especially not any that work directly with the existing Tesla locking in the model S.

Not sure what Spatter is saying, and if he's referring to the solutions shown above.

David

Dumb question - the cable normally locks into the charge port right? So the "rouge unplug" is only a problem when using the J1772?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's an interesting question - I've seen that type but with a shorter shroud. Perhaps there's an added piece (as yet unconsidered) that could somehow work with the ring to operate even with that shroud

If it doesn't work for you, I'll take it back for a refund. I knew from the beginning there might be some adjustments to make or handles that we hadn't seen before.

You are a good man! Keep coming up with solutions for MS owners.

Why would Chargepoint or any other J1772 "owner" put up with you locking access to their connector? We've discussed sharing plugs for charging, but I'm not sure about locking others out. After all, some of these charging stations are for a fee and I'm not sure if I'm the owner of one, I'd want it locked up so other customers can't use it. Have you asked Chargepoint if they have any objections?

Why would Chargepoint or any other J1772 "owner" put up with you locking access to their connector? We've discussed sharing plugs for charging, but I'm not sure about locking others out. After all, some of these charging stations are for a fee and I'm not sure if I'm the owner of one, I'd want it locked up so other customers can't use it. Have you asked Chargepoint if they have any objections?

Good questions. How about we ask CP if they want their J1772 removed before the charging is done? I assume that any responsible user of a J1772 would return once the charging is done and disconnect.

R2, I don't think anyone expects an owner to lock the charging connection permanently. It's designed only to make sure that the charging session completes - My materials recommned that customers using the lock definitely unlock and unplug as soon as they have charged enough. Also I am preparing and will make available a 'call card' to attach to the lock which can provide contact info (presumably cell phone) to be used if another user has a charging emergency. Finally, the device was designed to be removable in an actual emergency.

You may also not be aware that many networks' charging handles have locking mechanisms available already - please see the picture on post #1 of the other thread, here., so there's no reason to beleive that I've created some new function or anything that the networks would comment on or require permission.

I truly don't see a huge difference in leaving your car in a parking spot for charging thus taking up the charger, and actually locking the charger. Most times in either case the next user can't get in range to charge; it's incumbent on all of us to be fair and not misuse a limited resource, and in both cases we recommend customers do exactly that. Further, I'll revisit my instructions and website and make sure I drive that point home.

Last edited:
I truly don't see a huge difference in leaving your car in a parking spot for charging thus taking up the charger, and actually locking the charger. Most times in either case the next user can't get in range to charge; it's incumbent on all of us to be fair and not misuse a limited resource, and in both cases we recommend customers do exactly that. Further, I'll revisit my instructions and website and make sure I drive that point home.

I don't see a difference either. I don't want anyone removing the J1772 before my MS completes it charge. I can put my cell number on the dash if someone wishes to call me the minute the MS finishes charging. I can walk out, disconnect and move my MS from the charging only parking place.

I don't see a difference either. I don't want anyone removing the J1772 before my MS completes it charge. I can put my cell number on the dash if someone wishes to call me the minute the MS finishes charging. I can walk out, disconnect and move my MS from the charging only parking place.

Soon I'll start shipping (for new and existing owners) a 'call card' you can place right on the CapturePro so that it's visible - but a dash sign isn't a bad idea either.

Don't some other cars that take the J1772 directly lock it to the car like Model S does with it's own connector? I'm pretty sure my company's Chevy Volt will start alarming if the J1772 is unplugged while the car is locked. This solution, I believe, is simply meant to address the fact that with Model S, there are two pieces to the puzzle and it holds them together as an assembly.