Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommend a new phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
I would like a new mobile phone. Not in a hurry to buy anything, but I want to research and solicit advice ahead of time.

Would like a GSM handset with LTE capability. Don't want a tablet or anything huge.

Opinions on:

Android vs. iOS generally?
iPhone5?
HTC One?
Other phones?
Model S compatibility?
Alternatives like Windows, Blackberry, and Ubuntu?

My thanks for your help!

I can only speak to the iPhone but like it. Works with Model S fine. A new iPhone should be coming out this summer so if you can wait, might be thing to do. Can always pick up an iPhone 5 for cheaper once new version comes out.

Ericson GH 388. Best phone I ever had. No LTE though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366414473.711393.jpg

iPhone5 hands down, no question. thread can be closed. lol

No one has a good word for the latest Android or Windows phone?

I can only speak to the iPhone but like it. Works with Model S fine. A new iPhone should be coming out this summer so if you can wait, might be thing to do. Can always pick up an iPhone 5 for cheaper once new version comes out.

I think I would be fine with the 5. I don't want to be the first buyer of iPhone6 and any bugs it might have. Some of my friends jumped on the iPhone4 on release day, and had to deal with the antennae debacle.

I swear by Nokia phones. Sound quality, reception, and overall durability are all truly the best out there. Battery life is also typically very good. I also think WindowsPhone8 is better than Android and iOS.

Get a Nokia Lumia 920 and get the best thing you can get if you really want LTE.

Not to mention ahimberg's unofficial Tesla app for Windows phone is very very good!

if you want to join the rest of the sheeple...

The dark horse that none dare mention seems to be Blackberry, the glorious past king of the Smart Phone realm. If I really wanted to go against the grain the Z10 would be the phone to do it with, but I'm not sure how long Blackberry will be alive, and if there will be a Tesla app for their mobile phones.

Between my wife and I, we've owned every iPhone model and we've owned about 5 Android phones.

She prefers the iPhone, I prefer Android. I love my Galaxy S3 and I'll be getting the Galaxy S4. The reason I prefer the Galaxy S3 is simply the screen size and real estate, the phone's speed, and the flexibility that Android provides.

If Apple would just adopt the widget concept, I could probably get behind the iPhone - it's an integrated part of everything I do.

My brother runs mobile enablement infrastructure for a Fortune 100 company, and so he gets to play with a lot of the various devices. He really likes the new Blackberry (f/k/a RIM) devices that are coming available; and, since with a slight repackaging they can run Android apps, he doesn't suffer flexibility issues.

When my Nokia 8910 died about 18 months ago I looked closely at the Samsung Galaxy S and the iPhone 4S.
From a usability point of view I was hard pressed to pick the difference. Eventually i went with the iPhone as all my music is in iTunes so it meant it was easier to setup.
Don't have my Model S yet but others on this forum seem to think it works well with occasional bluetooth streaming issues.
I'm very happy with the iPhone and my iPad 2 with the exception of the lack of flash player.
The lack of flash player or an alternative will probably mean I wont replace it with an ios device.
But as I tend to keep things for a long while Apple has time to resolve this although they seem not to be interested in doing so. :frown:

Like so many other things, this is about personal preference. Android, Windows Phone, and iOS all work fine. Blackberry OS also works, but I think they're going to get killed off so I'd avoid them.

I prefer the flexibility, choice, and better technology of Android, so my choices would be the HTC One or Samsung GS4. The iPhone doesn't have NFC, doesn't have a removable battery (or decent battery life), doesn't have the option of different screen sizes, doesn't have a desktop, doesn't have widgets... anyway, it doesn't have a bunch of things I want. And Apple products are consistently more expensive, which was OK when they had superior hardware, but that's no longer true.

That being said, the iPhone is basically the #2 choice in the market. Even though I don't like it, millions of people do like it and so it deserves consideration.

iPhone 5s in available in June-ish
Galaxy S4 or HTC One for Android available now
Nokia Lumia 920 for Window Phone available now

I'd say that one of these is the right choice based on your carrier/location

More then just the actual phone should be considered, what about service & warranty or education when it comes to a new product, Apple wins hands down. Where do you go for warranty or repairs with android devices? The carriers store or Best Buy...good luck. IPhone in the home is fantastic, pictures taken on your phone automaticity in IPhoto when you get home & jump on your Mac or when Grandparents come over & you can show them pictures on your TV thru AppleTV vs huddling around a 4.5" in screen is killer, I can go on but but so far nothing beats Apples ecosystem & service IMO.

Last edited:
More then just the actual phone should be considered, what about service & warranty or education when it comes to a new product, Apple wins hands down. Where do you go for warranty or repairs with android devices? The carriers store or Best Buy...good luck. IPhone in the home is fantastic, pictures taken on your phone automaticity in IPhoto when you get home & jump on your Mac or when Grandparents come over & you can show them pictures on your TV thru AppleTV vs huddling around a 4.5" in screen is killer, I can go on but but so far nothing beats Apples ecosystem & service IMO.

My Android phone uses NFC (which the iPhone doesn't have) and TecTiles to change its profile automatically. Bluetooth on when I get into the car, off when I get home. Silent mode when I go to bed at night. And so on.

You obviously get a lot of mileage out of your iPhone -- and that's a very good thing -- but I can do every single thing you mention and even more with my Android hardware because I also know how to use my stuff well like you do. Your mistake is that you are assuming that A is better than B, but you're missing things in the comparison because you are not well-acquainted with B. Both Android and Apple are good options, but in terms of hardware and capability the edge goes to Android, not the iPhone.

As for service and warranty, I can't speak to other carriers but I have high praise for Verizon. My wife and daughter went through seven hardware failures on Blackberry phones and Verizon swapped out each one for a like-new refurbished unit. We've also had one iPhone and one Samsung Galaxy Nexus fail. Verizon swapped out each phone with zero problems. Overnight shipping, too.

Another point the OP should consider is travel. Verizon does not lock Android phones, so I can go to another country and stick a prepaid SIM card in the phone with zero problems and zero rip-off roaming charges. Can't do that with my wife's iPhone 4s, it's locked to the network. Had that problem with both AT&T and Verizon. Apple blames the carriers, and the carriers blame Apple... but what I care about is that I can't travel with the iPhone unless I pay roaming fees... and at $2.00/min and $25/MB for data, that just ain't gonna happen.