Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My audio upgrade for "Watt ME" - Reus Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my P85, especially now that I have the summer wheels on the car. However, I have been quite disappointed in the stereo system even with the upgraded stereo and the parcel shelf.

Years ago I had a custom stereo installed in my Porsche Boxster which was designed and installed by Reuss Audio specifically for that car - they don't do all cars but chose models that they think make sense and then do a dedicated design. I have never had another car stereo that came close for sonic purity and sound stage. This is not a boom box stereo but something that does full justice to rock and Classical music (I am a Pink Floyd, Who, Eagles, Yes type of person). One of the great advantages of their system beyond the "designed for the car" sound is that the upgrade is non-invasive. They put their own designed and custom manufactured speakers in the factory speaker slots and install a custom built amp hidden in the floor of the frunk. I could remove their system and put the factory system back and you would not know anything had been changed.

The guys at Reus have now completed a design for the Model S based on the same principals and claim that the sound blows away what I have in my Boxster. They tell me that the amp for the Model S is custom designed to be efficient as well as sonically pure so should have a minimal drain on the battery. Based on my experience with them I went right ahead and ordered the upgrade.

Reus design and install their systems themselves but are located in California. Based on demand they fly a tech to the east coast, typically NY, to do installs. I am now reserved for the July time frame and I encourage anyone else in the Northeast who really cares about sound quality to check them out at Reus Systems.

I am merely a repeat customer of Reus and have no other tie to them. Anyone who is considering a stereo upgrade should check them out. Happy to provide demos of the Boxster to anyone in the Westchester area. PM me if interested.

Yes, they will be coming to Ny to do my install. I am looking at a July install date at this point. The delay is a bummer but will be worth it. I suggest that you call them for full details on what they do. My experience is that you can't tell visually that it s not the factory stereo but sonically huge difference. Rick is the guy who helped me and delivered the first S upgrade. You can call him at 954-857-8929.

Are they coming to New York to do your model S. I am very interested in an upgrade and would like details on what they are going to do. Can you fill me in a little?

Folks, I have my car back after getting the sound upgraded at Reus, and it sounds incredible. I am going to post a full review in a few days, but the short version is, it's a dramatic improvement in sound presence, imaging, clarity, and bass response. There was no loss of cabin storage space either! Stunning transformation. I will eval with a variety of music sources, MP3, FLAC, .wav, slacker, XM, radio, AAC and ALAC files.

Sent via Tapatalk

Folks, I have my car back after getting the sound upgraded at Reus, and it sounds incredible. I am going to post a full review in a few days, but the short version is, it's a dramatic improvement in sound presence, imaging, clarity, and bass response. There was no loss of cabin storage space either! Stunning transformation. I will eval with a variety of music sources, MP3, FLAC, .wav, slacker, XM, radio, AAC and ALAC files.

Sent via Tapatalk

What does this kind of upgrade cost?

What does this kind of upgrade cost?

I'm not sure what Reus is planning to charge for the system I had installed. They actually have a process, whereby you install a system in your vehicle, then if you return a leased vehicle, or sell the vehicle, you pay to have the system removed, then installed in your next vehicle. It is a flat fee, and encompasses all engineering and customization costs for the new vehicle. $1500 is the cost. I had my M5 system removed, then the system was developed and installed for the Tesla. Because they are two dramatically different vehicles, each system is heavily customized for the model of car you have. For instance, my M5 had twin 10" subs in the rear as part of the system. It worked for that car, but doesn't work for the Tesla given the hatchback design. The Tesla system is completely invisible, with a swap out of many of the speakers, and the system has a high power amp with low current draw that was developed by Reus and exceeds 500W RMS power output.

I spoke with the guys at Reus Audio yesterday. They will replace most of the speakers and add an amp for the new subwoofer followed by tuning of the car. It is stero not surround with much batter range and staging. Takes a full day for each car. Price TBD and includes your share of the travels costs. They are coming to NYC and were more than willing to make a side trip to Boston if there is demand. Seriously considering it but would like to hear reviews from others before committing.

I did a search for Reus Audio. Seems there are good and bad reviews. The good state the sound is incredible the bad were about deposits taken and long wait times. I filter what folks put on the internet as personalities get in the way of the truth. From the reading I have done it seems most everyone who has installed a system states it sounds excellent. I am looking for quality not loud and bass shaking. Seriously considering doing this when they come to NY area. Just need a price for the system....

Spoke to Cliff (General Manager) yesterday. He says they've finished their design for a regular MS, and are almost done designing the upgrade system for a Sound Studio MS. His estimate of an upgrade cost for an MS with SS was about $4,000 plus one's share of travel costs if they come out to you instead of you going to them. I'm quite interested in this upgrade and will wait to get more information from them as they get their details in order.

I have had the system for a week, and although I am working on getting through a series of audiophile evaluations for you guys, life items such as work, kids, spouse, and sleep have been interfering lately. For those who just want to know if the system is quality or an improvement, let me at least post a brief review of the system...

I have found five things to be true with the upgrade...

1. The system improves the sound of all audio inputs. What I mean is that the quality of sound is substantially improved, such that inputs from bluetooth audio sources, Slacker, and USB will sound substantially better. It does highlight how crappy XM sounds, though, although even it sounds better than on the stock studio sound system (I have the studio audio upgrade).

2. The bass response is tremendously better. Despite having the studio upgrade with the subwoofer, the bass response was lackluster and flat, with improvement coming only with volume increases to 9 or higher. This is unacceptable for any system. With the Reus upgrade, the bass response is there immediately and you can appreciate the tonal quality better. That being said, it is a tad overkill, and we are working to refine it, although if you are a Belieber or a 50 cent fan, you will be able to shock fillings loose. We are using Fourplay as our reference sound for final tuning. Quite a different experience. They can tune to whatever you like though, which is the best part of using Reus.

3. The power is tremendous and the tonal qualities improve at flat EQ, no longer are wide variations in EQ necessary to attain a useable sound range.

4. The sound stage is set ahead of the windshield, but the sound has a filling quality which removes the need to fade the sound back to rear to get a sense of the rears.

5. I am ripping all of my CD's into FLAC, which sounds spectacular on this new system.

As to the reviews on the web...

Remember that the web highlights many of those who were sufficiently peeved enough to write a scathing review, although you'll find great reviews from reputable audiophile sources as well. The same interpretation can be gleaned about Tesla just from reading this site. Nearly all love Tesla, although we complain here too so you could walk away with the impression that Tesla is either a superb company or a lackluster company depending upon which post you read.

I do know that their basic sound upgrade package runs around $2000 from my experience in the past. Depending upon specific requests and parts needs, the price can vary. These guys have designed $10,000 speakers that are super low profile. The big bonus is that your system can either be a standard upgrade which is proven and tested, or a completely custom experience that meets whatever needs you have, depending on the style of music you listen to.

oh and a 6th point...I have ZERO regrets. I had a $&!#-eating grin on my face as I drove to work yesterday, listening to Mary J. Blige (Come to Me) and thought, "This song sounds so good!!"

Hope this helps!

I have had the system for a week, and although I am working on getting through a series of audiophile evaluations for you guys, life items such as work, kids, spouse, and sleep have been interfering lately. For those who just want to know if the system is quality or an improvement, let me at least post a brief review of the system...

I have found five things to be true with the upgrade...

1. The system improves the sound of all audio inputs. What I mean is that the quality of sound is substantially improved, such that inputs from bluetooth audio sources, Slacker, and USB will sound substantially better. It does highlight how crappy XM sounds, though, although even it sounds better than on the stock studio sound system (I have the studio audio upgrade).

2. The bass response is tremendously better. Despite having the studio upgrade with the subwoofer, the bass response was lackluster and flat, with improvement coming only with volume increases to 9 or higher. This is unacceptable for any system. With the Reus upgrade, the bass response is there immediately and you can appreciate the tonal quality better. That being said, it is a tad overkill, and we are working to refine it, although if you are a Belieber or a 50 cent fan, you will be able to shock fillings loose. We are using Fourplay as our reference sound for final tuning. Quite a different experience. They can tune to whatever you like though, which is the best part of using Reus.

3. The power is tremendous and the tonal qualities improve at flat EQ, no longer are wide variations in EQ necessary to attain a useable sound range.

4. The sound stage is set ahead of the windshield, but the sound has a filling quality which removes the need to fade the sound back to rear to get a sense of the rears.

5. I am ripping all of my CD's into FLAC, which sounds spectacular on this new system.

As to the reviews on the web...

Remember that the web highlights many of those who were sufficiently peeved enough to write a scathing review, although you'll find great reviews from reputable audiophile sources as well. The same interpretation can be gleaned about Tesla just from reading this site. Nearly all love Tesla, although we complain here too so you could walk away with the impression that Tesla is either a superb company or a lackluster company depending upon which post you read.

I do know that their basic sound upgrade package runs around $2000 from my experience in the past. Depending upon specific requests and parts needs, the price can vary. These guys have designed $10,000 speakers that are super low profile. The big bonus is that your system can either be a standard upgrade which is proven and tested, or a completely custom experience that meets whatever needs you have, depending on the style of music you listen to.

oh and a 6th point...I have ZERO regrets. I had a $&!#-eating grin on my face as I drove to work yesterday, listening to Mary J. Blige (Come to Me) and thought, "This song sounds so good!!"

Hope this helps!

How has this impacted your range? I know subs can be draining on a regular battery / alternator set up. Ive ordered the P85.