Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SCE Rates for TOU-D-TEV effective April 1, 2013???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally switched to SoCal Edison's TOU-D-TEV this month. They even sent out a service technician to verify my wiring.. not sure why but he opened up my panel the part where SCE has there security cable tag on it. He just looked at the service entrance wiring, put the cover back and retagged my panel. He was genuinely interested in the Tesla and knew quite a bit of facts about it already.

So I had the old rates in my Excel spreadsheet and I wanted to verify the summer/winter transition and saw the new rates listed, effective April 1, 2013 linked here

2013-04-18_15-58-33.gif

I hope these aren't typos. I tried to get a more descriptive breakout on the generation/delivery charges in a PDF file, but they seem to be referencing the old rates.

If these are true, I'm a truly happy camper. With our second Model S coming soon (hopefully), that's 9 or 10cents a kWh basically every day, all year long Tier 1 or Tier 2 for the super-off-peak periods.

I always get confused with the math. One goes from $0.13 in Tier 1 of the 4-tier system, to $0.28 in Tier 1 of the EV plan. Not sure what your electricity use is during the day for anything that is connected and requires electricity (eg, fridge, stay-at-home spouse, kids, etc.). My current usage keeps me in Tier 1 (no car yet), so am paying the $0.13/kWh. I think Tier 2 is $0.16, Tier 3 is $0.27, then $0.31. So is the EV plan the most cost efficient for someone like me, especially once I get my car (in 2 days!!) ? I only plan to charge during the weekend (weekdays I would charge at work). My average monthly right now is 233 kWh (260 or 280 i think is the limit to get to Tier 2). My brain hurts.:confused:

I always get confused with the math. One goes from $0.13 in Tier 1 of the 4-tier system, to $0.28 in Tier 1 of the EV plan. Not sure what your electricity use is during the day for anything that is connected and requires electricity (eg, fridge, stay-at-home spouse, kids, etc.). My current usage keeps me in Tier 1 (no car yet), so am paying the $0.13/kWh. I think Tier 2 is $0.16, Tier 3 is $0.27, then $0.31. So is the EV plan the most cost efficient for someone like me, especially once I get my car (in 2 days!!) ? I only plan to charge during the weekend (weekdays I would charge at work). My average monthly right now is 233 kWh (260 or 280 i think is the limit to get to Tier 2). My brain hurts.:confused:

It depends on how much you drivea. I was using 30-40 kwH/day recharging the car on the weekdays. I went from tier 1 to tier 4 on the residential plan in 3 weeks and that's with generating 25-30 kwH/day from my solar power system :scared:. I just switched to the TOU plan and did calculations based on my usage/generation last year, and it's going to save me a couple hundred dollars a month. I made those calculations before they dropped the rate to 9 cents super off peak, so I'll be saving more. This is mostly based on the fact that I am a net generator during the peak times and a net consumer during the off peak hours. I will be selling them the electricity at the higher peak rate, and buying at the lower off peak rates.

It's hard to generalize this since everybody's household consumption is different, so if you really want to find out what is better, then download your historical data and crunch the numbers. The other way is leave it as is and see what your first Month's bill post Model S and act accordingly.

Last edited:
SCE chargers slightly more for second meter ev charging if done at night compared to single meter ev plan. I have requested a rate analysis if I do not change my lifestyle for household usage- comparing the more costly second meter option. With the second meter I could install the 100 amp breaker and use the dual chargers for faster recharge. One per week I do drive to Santa Barbara 250 miles and it would be preferred to fully recharge for the next day. According to the SCE planner it appears few second meters are installed.

SCE chargers slightly more for second meter ev charging if done at night compared to single meter ev plan. I have requested a rate analysis if I do not change my lifestyle for household usage- comparing the more costly second meter option. With the second meter I could install the 100 amp breaker and use the dual chargers for faster recharge. One per week I do drive to Santa Barbara 250 miles and it would be preferred to fully recharge for the next day. According to the SCE planner it appears few second meters are installed.
IIRC, with the time of use plan, you get the best rate on power used between 12AM and 6AM, but you pay more for most of the other juice you use. My mom has a Volt that she doesn't drive much but she does use her A/C a lot. So the regular plan makes more sense for her than the TOU-D-TEV. Eventually she would probably use enough electricity to pay for the second meter option. The only reason I haven't gone to the second meter yet is that I'm planning to add on to my garage and I don't want to pay an electrician twice to do essentially the same thing. I am on the TOU plan, I'm driving around 10K per year and I don't use my home A/C much. The TOU plan is working well for me.

many people don't go with the second meter route because of the initial cost is so high. Anywhere from $2,000-$4,000 to put a second meter in can buy a lot of electricity. TOU-EV do not work well if you have someone home during the peak hours.

Important Update. SCE is cancelling the TOU-D-TEV rate plan which will undermine the effectiveness of solar systems purchased by EV drivers. Why EV Owners with Solar Systems are having their investments compromised so soon and before we can recoup our investment in baffling. What is going on at the CPUC and the State of CA to allow this to happy? Please visit protectourrates.com to become educated and to let our State representatives know about this issue!

Thanks for the link. I will pass it on to some of myEV and Solar friends. I recall seeing something that said we could be grandfathered on old TOU-D-TEV rates. As a solar generater, I dont mind the high PEAK rate because that is the rate I produce, but I do mind the shift from starting at 10am to a later time of 2pm. I would lose 4 hours of high rate production. I am going to call SCE and try to get more clarity.