Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have downloaded Recargo and PlugShare. I don't see a way to offer my Tesla HPWC securely to other Tesla owners with out advertising it to everyone that uses the apps. Have I missed something? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in this effort share with other Tesla owners. RNG

This is an issue I've heard discussed here in Texas with local owners - most of us would be quite happy to help out a Tesla owner in distress, or maybe even others, but wholesale listing of our address or even our phone seem potentially annoying, or worse.

As an example, I'd want to be optionally available at my NEMA 14-50 for owners in an emergency, but NOT be a required part of someone's travel plans. But, other power-sharers might be quite a bit more supportive.

IMHO, a few jerks will ultimately ruin the whole idea, but that might take a while; who knows. 8 \

I have downloaded Recargo and PlugShare. I don't see a way to offer my Tesla HPWC securely to other Tesla owners with out advertising it to everyone that uses the apps. Have I missed something? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in this effort share with other Tesla owners. RNG

As a data point, I've listed my 14-50 on both PlugShare and Recargo, requiring a phone call first (gate on drive). I've had exactly one person call in two years and I was glad to offer it.

Most people aren't searching charging apps unless they need a charge. And you always have the option to remove your information if it becomes bothersome.

As a data point, I've listed my 14-50 on both PlugShare and Recargo, requiring a phone call first (gate on drive). I've had exactly one person call in two years and I was glad to offer it.

Most people aren't searching charging apps unless they need a charge. And you always have the option to remove your information if it becomes bothersome.

An anonymous/blind email system similar to Craigslist would solve this issue. The person supplying plug can decide if they want to respond and provide more info on a case by case basis.

Which of the various charger station apps do you recommend? The list is kinda long: Recargo, PlugShare, ChargePoint, Blink, CarStations, and Open Charge Map

I use PlugShare. FYI they are in the process of merging with Recargo. I think Plug Share/Recargo are 2 of the most popular apps. What I don't like about it is that many stations don't list their amperage... Very annoying!
The other website I use is SunCountry Highway as it lists amperage on all its EVSE's.

Take this with a grain of salt, I rarely use these apps and have only used public J1772's twice (didn't need a charge, just wanted to test out my j1772 adapter).