Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster #179 with $42K Reserve on eBay - Beware SCAM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ipdamages

Roadster Sport 835
Sep 25, 2011
Las Vegas Area
Tesla : Roadster CONVERTIBLE in Tesla | eBay Motors

Roadster 179, which we saw for sale about three months ago, seems to have shown up again. But it is now being sold from Texas, whereas 179's original seller, Tim, was in Los Altos, California. Here is the TMC thread, which journeyed into comparisons with Porsches and several other topics. The ultimate outcome on 179 isn't indicated therein.

#179 - Thunder Grey/Saddle Leather - Los Altos, CA

It seems from the eBay listing that the seller grabbed the language from the original 179 listing on eBay. It is well-written - sort of. It references things that a true owner would appreciate, like being hand washed, and it is properly described as a 1.5. Here is the language:

Lovingly maintained by a single owner. Excellent condition. Regularly serviced at Tesla facility by Tesla service team. Battery has clean bill of health from Tesla Techs. Only handwashed by owner never at a carwash.As one of the first 200 cars, it came with all options by default.It includes... Roadster #179 (version 1.5) with Carbon Fiber body 3M Paint Shield Brand New Performance Tires on all 4 wheels Soft Top Colormatched Carbon Fiber Hard Top Universal Mobile Connector Spare Connector High Power Connector (available for extra cost) Henry Sharp J1772 Connector (super portable, much better than Teslas) Teslainstalled backup camera Xenon headlight upgrade Owners Manual in aluminum case Original JVC head unit with Navigation, CD, DVD, HDD storage, Bluetooth, Sirius, AM/FM, iPod, and Camera integration Front licence plate bracket (never installed, bumper never drilled) Carpool lane stickers (tastefully applied)
Condition: Cosmetic: Excellent. No dents, dings or scratches. Paint shield intact. Some minor scuffing on door sill where shoe touches as you enter/exit the car. Mechanical: Excellent. Runs like day 1. Amazing torque! Battery: Excellent. Properly cared for, seldom pushed to extremes. Other: New tires (less than 500 miles)

Priced for a fast sale !!! Only 42k..For more photos and details you can reach me at : [email protected]

What seems fishy to me:

1) It looks like a cut and paste from the original 179 listing. There is a space before the first letter of the text. Spaces are omitted between several words. "Colormatched" "Teslainstalled" "handwashed" "carwash." The listed options look to have been from a list, but converted to a paragraph, with no commas between the listed features.

2) It says it has carpool stickers (tastefully applied). But the car is in Texas, so a seller there would have little appreciation for California carpool stickers.

3) The style of writing changes mid-listing, with the final "paragraph" in scattered prose. A space after the word "sale" and before the three exclamation points, no dollar sign before "42k," two periods after "42k," a space after "at" and before the colon...

4) Only three pictures, and those are all Tim's from the original 179 listing.

I might email latimerg47 or the seller (through eBay) but I'm not in the market and I don't really feel compelled to engage someone I think is a scammer in an e-dialogue.

BEWARE!

I can confirm that this is a SCAM!!! I went to buy this last time on eBay. It was posted at 42 for a quick sale, then taken off. When I asked to talk with him he stated that he is deaf and not able to communicate on the phone. Then made up some BS about using eBay Buyer Protection Plan which made no sense to me and a good friend that runs a dealership said that the wording that he used was typical of someone trying to SCAM!!!! Please stay away.

I like that it is reasonably difficult to run a scam within this community. Feedback here on another car helped me steer clear of a Roadster scam attempt several months back. And also helped me when I found the good deal that turned into the Roadster I'm driving now. Such a warm and fuzzy feeling :)

I flagged this on ebay as the same seller without any rating is also selling 3 other luxury cars. All well below book value...some pictures have palm trees....some don't. Ebay just removed bids on these auctions. So I'm guessing they also found it to be very suspicious.

If I'm buying a car of this level I'm flying/driving in to see it first.

Tesla : Roadster CONVERTIBLE in Tesla | eBay Motors

Roadster 179, which we saw for sale about three months ago, seems to have shown up again. But it is now being sold from Texas, whereas 179's original seller, Tim, was in Los Altos, California. Here is the TMC thread, which journeyed into comparisons with Porsches and several other topics. The ultimate outcome on 179 isn't indicated therein.

#179 - Thunder Grey/Saddle Leather - Los Altos, CA

It seems from the eBay listing that the seller grabbed the language from the original 179 listing on eBay. It is well-written - sort of. It references things that a true owner would appreciate, like being hand washed, and it is properly described as a 1.5. Here is the language:

Lovingly maintained by a single owner. Excellent condition. Regularly serviced at Tesla facility by Tesla service team. Battery has clean bill of health from Tesla Techs. Only handwashed by owner never at a carwash.As one of the first 200 cars, it came with all options by default.It includes... Roadster #179 (version 1.5) with Carbon Fiber body 3M Paint Shield Brand New Performance Tires on all 4 wheels Soft Top Colormatched Carbon Fiber Hard Top Universal Mobile Connector Spare Connector High Power Connector (available for extra cost) Henry Sharp J1772 Connector (super portable, much better than Teslas) Teslainstalled backup camera Xenon headlight upgrade Owners Manual in aluminum case Original JVC head unit with Navigation, CD, DVD, HDD storage, Bluetooth, Sirius, AM/FM, iPod, and Camera integration Front licence plate bracket (never installed, bumper never drilled) Carpool lane stickers (tastefully applied)
Condition: Cosmetic: Excellent. No dents, dings or scratches. Paint shield intact. Some minor scuffing on door sill where shoe touches as you enter/exit the car. Mechanical: Excellent. Runs like day 1. Amazing torque! Battery: Excellent. Properly cared for, seldom pushed to extremes. Other: New tires (less than 500 miles)

Priced for a fast sale !!! Only 42k..For more photos and details you can reach me at : [email protected]

What seems fishy to me:

1) It looks like a cut and paste from the original 179 listing. There is a space before the first letter of the text. Spaces are omitted between several words. "Colormatched" "Teslainstalled" "handwashed" "carwash." The listed options look to have been from a list, but converted to a paragraph, with no commas between the listed features.

2) It says it has carpool stickers (tastefully applied). But the car is in Texas, so a seller there would have little appreciation for California carpool stickers.

3) The style of writing changes mid-listing, with the final "paragraph" in scattered prose. A space after the word "sale" and before the three exclamation points, no dollar sign before "42k," two periods after "42k," a space after "at" and before the colon...

4) Only three pictures, and those are all Tim's from the original 179 listing.

I might email latimerg47 or the seller (through eBay) but I'm not in the market and I don't really feel compelled to engage someone I think is a scammer in an e-dialogue.

BEWARE!