Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging experience at Folsom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my second Supercharger experience at the Folsom supercharger after driving up from Fremont to visit some friends in the area. I got a nice burger at the nearby City Burgers with some friends after a fellow Tesla owner recommended it. By the time we were done the car was just about fully charged with a range charge. From there I ended up driving to San Francisco then back to Fremont with plenty of charge left over. It was hard to follow the speed limit as well. :biggrin: I noticed that not all of the chargers were labeled as 90KWh though.

I had about 70 miles of range left after I arrived home in Fremont and over 100 in San Francisco. I have a P85 and did not take it easy during the drive either. I didn't need to do the range charge at all, but since I don't have much experience going long distances with my model S yet I decided to do a range charge. A standard charge is more than sufficient.

Thank you, 100 miles is definitely a good

Heck, I did a roundtrip from Los Altos to Davis with my 60 kWh a couple weekends ago and had plenty of charge left each way (although I did take advantage of the 70A charger in Davis for the return). I want to say I had 60 rated miles or so leftover on the return after a standard charge of 190 rated miles. So you will have tons of charge to spare in an 85.

Heck, I did a roundtrip from Los Altos to Davis with my 60 kWh a couple weekends ago and had plenty of charge left each way (although I did take advantage of the 70A charger in Davis for the return). I want to say I had 60 rated miles or so leftover on the return after a standard charge of 190 rated miles. So you will have tons of charge to spare in an 85.
Wow that's pretty good!
Hopefully Tesla releases their CHAdeMO adapter very soon, as there's one in Fairfield I believe as well as a ton in SF

Where is the 70A charger in Davis? What adapter did you use? Heading for Auburn next month and the SC at Folsom is a bit out of the way.

Where is the 70A charger in Davis? will be going to Vacaville later this month. from Harris Ranch to Vacaville is 204 miles, cutting it bit close for my taste.

It's in a garage at 4th and G. I assume you have twin chargers to take advantage of this. Just let me know if you're going this Sunday as I may need to use it in the afternoon!! I wish I could send a note to all of the merchants in Davis letting them know that my wife and I have stopped in their town and shopped and eaten at their restaurants all because of this 70A charger.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is the 70A charger in Davis? What adapter did you use? Heading for Auburn next month and the SC at Folsom is a bit out of the way.

J1772 adapter works fine at this location.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow that's pretty good!
Hopefully Tesla releases their CHAdeMO adapter very soon, as there's one in Fairfield I believe as well as a ton in SF

I really was impressed with the range. We kept speeds to 70mph or under for drive up to Davis -- about half at 65 and half at 70 -- and didn't have AC on. I didn't chart this, but it seemed like we were getting at least 80% of the rated miles if not more. I had plenty of rated miles left over when we got to Davis, not even close to having range anxiety. I seem to be getting very good range on my 60 compared to what others have reported on their 85s, and am wondering if some of this might have to do with the weight differential.

Coming from the Bay Area, and having done both (a) using 70A chargers in Davis and Auburn and (b) detour to the Folsom supercharger, I have to say that the detour to the SC is definitely worth it. Saved at least 2 hours compared to (a).

Where is the 70A charger in Davis? will be going to Vacaville later this month. from Harris Ranch to Vacaville is 204 miles, cutting it bit close for my taste.
Take the detour to Gilroy. Using the SC there will save you time despite the added miles. Bay area traffic might factor into the equation, so your timing may vary.

I'm planning a trip from Los Altos to Tahoe this weekend and was planning to recharge at the Folsom Supercharger. How many bays are there? Is there usually one open or do you typically have a wait? Which of the bays are 90kW? Thanks.
I think they're all 90kW capable, depending on how many cars are there. I believe (and have tested) that spots (counting from the left) 1 and 3 are paired, and 2 and 4 are paired. So if you see a car in 1 or 3, park in 2 or 4. If there's 2 or more cars, then try and figure out who was there first and take the corresponding paired spot if possible. You will start out charging slowly but as the other car ramps down or leaves you should reach charging at the full rate.