Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug nut socket size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cool thanks. should be helpful

I'm thinking about some wider 19 or 20" wheels so I can try to beat some of the faster kids in the next local autocross. My 21 continentals are pretty toast after this weekend! :cool:
and i need to either rotate my tires or get some new rears on the 21"s too, I tried accelerating a little quick today and i was slipping like crazy :tongue:

I'm answering my own question. Both 13/16" and 21mm seem to fit ok.

It's 21mm.

A 12-point 13/16" will fit, but rather snugly, and not all the way on the lug nuts. A 6-point 13/16" will not fit on mine.

(When dealing with higher-torque applications you really want to use 6-point sockets where you can. 13/16" works in a pinch, but it's too easy to round the edges.)

Hmmm... My 21mm lug nut socket doesn't fit on my car (with stock 19's). I also have a 7/8" socket, which fits, but is loose -- so I'm thinking my car has 22mm lugs on it (7/8" is a bit over 22mm...). But I don't have a 22mm socket to test. Any reports of 22mm lugs on other cars?

FWIW, I have a loaner today and the 21mm socket fits the loaner (with the 19" Cyclones)...

As 13/16" is (exactly) 20.3675mm, the difference is 1.73 percent. I never hesitate to use a fractional driver with a metric nut, or vice versa, in such a situation. A similar closeness occurs at 5/8"<-->16mm: there the exactness is 15.875mm, or just 1.00 percent off.

It's 21mm.

A 12-point 13/16" will fit, but rather snugly, and not all the way on the lug nuts. A 6-point 13/16" will not fit on mine.

(When dealing with higher-torque applications you really want to use 6-point sockets where you can. 13/16" works in a pinch, but it's too easy to round the edges.)

@Flasher got it.

I just rotated my tires at 5k. 21mm was a perfect fit.
When it came time to Torque to the required 149ft/lbs, I pulled out my 3/4 torque wrench, and only had a 6pt 13/16" and it would not fit over the lugs. The 21mm was a perfect fit.

Although I doubt I will "tinker" with this car the way I've done with many of my past cars, I really hope this car isn't like Chevrolet where they have a mish-mosh of metric and standard hardware on the car!

Does anyone have a link to a 21mm thin wall socket that actually FITS on the lug nut, when it's on the standard 19" OEM wheels?
I've bought a set on Amazon, and it has both 21mm and 13/16", which both FIT the lug nut when it's not on the wheel (the 21mm is a tighter fit), but, the sockets (either one), will NOT fit the lug nuts when installed on the wheels, only a tiny bit (like 1/8") fits on the nut.. I did buy sockets with plastic protectors around them, but cut them off, and the socket still does not fit. I am looking for a link on Amazon (or any other place) for a socket or socket set that someone bought, that actually FITS the OEM 19" lug nuts when installed on the wheels. Thanks.

FYI, this is the set I bought, and cut off the protectors, still do not fit lug nuts on the wheels:
Wilmar Performance Tool Wilmar W32902 5-piece 1/2 inch Drive Thin Wall Imperial Sockets - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com

Edit: found another set on Amazon, has anyone tried these? they claim they fit "tight mag wheels":
Anytime Tools Lug Nut Impact Socket Thin Wall Set Flip 6 Sizes METRIC/SAE 1/2 Drive Service Tool - Lug Tires - Amazon.com

Last edited:
a) I don't have 19's but I believe my 21's utilize the same lug nuts and hole diameter
b) the first set of sockets that you deployed were thin walled, so I don't think the second set (also thin walled) are going to resolve this issue (but for $23, it's worth a try, I do use something similar)
c) I am going to side with William13, especially if other shops have rotated your wheels in the past and quite possibly used the incorrect socket size along with impact air tools

Good-Luck!

Linkster is correct. The 21mm worked when the nuts were new, after a couple of rotations and tire changes (by others), they don't fit anymore. The problem is that there is a silly cover over the nuts which gets bend out of shape easily.

Reactions: David99
I managed to ruin a lug nut once trying to use the wrong socket size on it. Took it into the service center to try and buy a new one they just handed me a new one for free. Immediately went to the store and bought the right size (with the new socket in my hand). Haven't had any problem when using the proper 21mm socket.

I have the Summer Tires/Wheels, I'll check when I get home to see if either the 21MM or 13/16" fit with a spare lug nut in the wheel hole
(I have a set of 20 spare OEM's if anyone needs some, came with my 2nd set I bought from a TMC user)

Now I'm wondering how to remove them and change to the new lug nuts I bought on Amazon, if neither socket will fit.

I have the Summer Tires/Wheels, I'll check when I get home to see if either the 21MM or 13/16" fit with a spare lug nut in the wheel hole
(I have a set of 20 spare OEM's if anyone needs some, came with my 2nd set I bought from a TMC user)

Now I'm wondering how to remove them and change to the new lug nuts I bought on Amazon, if neither socket will fit.

As long as you don't care, you can just use a slightly larger size 22 mm or so.

Any chance you can get a close-up pic of your lug nuts inside the wheel holes so we can see if they are mangled :cursing: like artsci's pic:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 873
Last edited:
Any chance you can get a close-up pic of your lug nuts inside the wheel holes so we can see if they are mangled :cursing: like artsci's?

tried the new lug nuts I bought at Amazon, and one of the 20 spare OEM nuts in my summer wheels, the 21MM fits both sockets, and fits in the hole in the wheel with the thinwall socket on the nut. I can only agree the nuts on the car now must be horribly mangled, 21MM or 13/16", neither one seats more than 1/8" on the nut. My Model S is going in for its annual service on January 5th, I think I'll ask them to remove the mangled lug nuts and put on the Amazon solid steel nuts... thanks.

Any chance you can get a close-up pic of your lug nuts inside the wheel holes so we can see if they are mangled :cursing: like artsci's?

If that's directed at me no, I traded the car already. Someplace around the house I have the lug nut that I mangled, they didn't want it when I went in to get a new one. For what it's worth that lug nut definitely would not fit in a 21mm socket.

I'll add I'm just using a 21mm socket with a 3" extension with a torque wrench (old gauge style, all of which are Craftsman). I'm not using fancy air tools.

Edit: Found it. Pictures of my messed up lug nut (didn't get the 13/16" socket on completely) and the torque wrench setup I use now attached.

IMG_20141223_194922.jpg

IMG_20141223_195011.jpg

IMG_20141223_195001.jpg

Last edited: