Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge your EV while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But what problem does it solve?

Instead of sitting in some form of kerb-side or wall mounted enclosure, part of the charging technology can now be embedded in the tarmac? I'm not sure I see any benefit of this for parking lots over the traditional cable 'n' plug, since the system will still need a box above ground for the EV owner to operate.

Charge-while-u-drive sounds attractive, but installation costs will have to be passed on to customers as higher $/kWh and the disruption to existing routes while they install the "charging lane" or zone will be considerable.

Like Ultra-Fast charging stations, it might be cost effective when EV volumes are high, but that will take several years. In the meantime battery pack range will be improving and may close the market window.

One of the real benefits of the grass roots evolution of the EV is that we have (thus far) avoided getting locked into proprietory charging systems in favour of simpler and cheaper technology which has to run off domestic electricity supplies.

In this respect it is a good thing that the EV1 project failed and that the Volt will (hopefully) introduce many drivers to the simplicity, convenience and lower cost of home recharging, so helping to build acceptance for pure EVs. Charger Standards Converge

Keep EV recharging domestic!

I know that Tesla are looking at three-phase charging, but I hope all future cars will be both three-phase and single-phase compatible.