Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LAX Airport EV Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard that EV drivers have to pay for parking but that the chargers are free.

Can someone who's been there tell me where the EV parking is in the airport and if there are pretty much always lots of chargers available (or do they need to be reserved somehow)?

Thanks!

I parked in Lot 6 last week and was able to secure a spot with a charger. I believe I got the last available spot. I looked for vacancies when I exited but didn't see any. I agree with the notion that they should be more available now that the parking is no longer free but based on this limited sample I would l suggest that you cannot count on a charger being available. There is no reservation system in place.

This sure beat O'Hare - pay for parking and pay for electricity. And to top it off, they have only 2 parking spots and they are in the short term lots, not the long term ones!

AT least Midway is much better - 2 spots in the long term parking, 3 in the short term (all level 2 chargers) along with a level 2 AND level 3 charger in the cell phone lot...that actually makes some sense.

I parked in Lot 6 last week and was able to secure a spot with a charger. I believe I got the last available spot. I looked for vacancies when I exited but didn't see any. I agree with the notion that they should be more available now that the parking is no longer free but based on this limited sample I would l suggest that you cannot count on a charger being available. There is no reservation system in place.

It's been several months since the original post, but these have filled up. My wife took my Active E to P-6 yesterday (we're both on trips) and all the J1772 chargers were filled. It will be tight with a 80-100 mile range car, luckily she's the more efficient driver when driving either of our EVs (for the most part.)

And they ARE 30A. They're upgraded Clipper Creeks and you have to stay plugged in or you get a ticket. So, I always take a time-stamped photo of the car when I leave for the terminal, just to have some proof that I plugged it in, in case someone decides to unplug me and forget to plug me back in (it's a violation in California to be in an EV spot and not charge (or be plugged in.))

The LAX J1772 ones are on all the time...

I believe when I called they were30 amp stations, but that was a while ago and things may have changed. Call them! Sometimes the private garages are better and more accommodating.

It's been several months since the original post, but these have filled up. My wife took my Active E to P-6 yesterday (we're both on trips) and all the J1772 chargers were filled. It will be tight with a 80-100 mile range car, luckily she's the more efficient driver when driving either of our EVs (for the most part.)

And they ARE 30A. They're upgraded Clipper Creeks and you have to stay plugged in or you get a ticket. So, I always take a time-stamped photo of the car when I leave for the terminal, just to have some proof that I plugged it in, in case someone decides to unplug me and forget to plug me back in (it's a violation in California to be in an EV spot and not charge (or be plugged in.))

The LAX J1772 ones are on all the time...

Thanks so much guys for that great and informative information. Do any of you have any advice for the best "private garages" with charges near LAX that you have personal experience with?

Thanks so much guys for that great and informative information. Do any of you have any advice for the best "private garages" with charges near LAX that you have personal experience with?

The superchargers are only a few miles away from LAX... That's always an option for a Model S... now, I'm not sure if that will work with the vampire drain for parking at LAX at the 30 day maximum without plugging in whilst parked.

The superchargers are only a few miles away from LAX... That's always an option for a Model S... now, I'm not sure if that will work with the vampire drain for parking at LAX at the 30 day maximum without plugging in whilst parked.

Yes, I know Hawthorne is close by but I won't have time to hit it on the way to the airport for a business trip and my flight gets back late at night and I'll be tired from an international trip so I'd rather just be charged up and ready to drive back home without hitting Hawthorne if possible so would love some favorite private lots that might have more spaces.

If my flight didn't get back so late and it wasn't a longer flight I'd be open to Hawthorne but in this case trying to avoid it.

I broached this again with the aiport parking people. There is charging at Lots 1, 4 and 6 which are all short term lots and charge $30 per day. I'm going to be gone 10 days+ and this makes the parking more than my airline ticket!! The long term lots have NO CHARGING whatsoever, but charge $12 per day.

I called several of the independent lots and none of them were willing to accomodate plugging in an EV. It would be nice if one of these would 'step up' and provide charging to the increeasing fleet of EV's that will need charging while traveling from LAX !

Looks like I have to drive a gasser ~500 miles due to the lack of charging. I realize that I could go to the supercharger at Hawthorne, but asking a car full of tired travelers to wait for 45 minutes after a long flight is not going to happen.

I was just thinking about that the other day. The only thing you really need is a 110v outlet on a long trip. I usually fly out of LAX for a week or more at a time and a level 2 for me is overkill. I think having a few dozen or more 110v outlets is more than sufficient for the common traveler.

Exactly! My rule of thumb for a 120V outlet is 75 miles per day. Plenty for a multi-day trip!

I broached this again with the aiport parking people. There is charging at Lots 1, 4 and 6 which are all short term lots and charge $30 per day. I'm going to be gone 10 days+ and this makes the parking more than my airline ticket!! The long term lots have NO CHARGING whatsoever, but charge $12 per day.

I called several of the independent lots and none of them were willing to accomodate plugging in an EV. It would be nice if one of these would 'step up' and provide charging to the increeasing fleet of EV's that will need charging while traveling from LAX !

Looks like I have to drive a gasser ~500 miles due to the lack of charging. I realize that I could go to the supercharger at Hawthorne, but asking a car full of tired travelers to wait for 45 minutes after a long flight is not going to happen.

Thanks again Lloyd. Helpful. Yeah, exactly the point you are making about the asking the car full of travels to wait to charge.... Just not going to happen. Heck, I'm not even in a car full of people...just myself. But I asked myself and I got the answer..... LOL.

I will see if I have time to go up earlier. Hawthorne wasn't busy early in the morning when I went up a few weeks ago. So maybe I'll try to get a full charge and then park in long-term parking. I'm still not sure how many days I will be on my business trip but it will be several days. I haven't had a chance to check out the vampire drain more than a day or two and not two days in a row. I have version 5.0 and it doesn't seem that bad but never have tested it out over more than 1 day at a time. (which I was only losing 2 miles).

I'll post back how it goes. I will be gone at least 3 days so I'll see what kind of drain there is.

Thanks again for the helpful information. This is what it's all about.