Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Rust on Rotors in a few hours ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zas

Model X 90D
Dec 24, 2012
Toronto
On a wet rainy day, my car was parked outside for about 8 hours when i came out to go home i saw this..

Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

Looks pretty bad !

But after a 15 min drive.. they looked like this

Capture6.JPG
Capture5.JPG

I am wondering if any of you are seeing the same amount of rust after just a few hours.. and if this has any long term effects on the Rotors ? solutions ?

These problem arrived at any EV that I have seen until today.

The rotors will rust much faster because the surface is not so often used as in an ICE car.
The case is that in every EV you will use the mechanical brake much less.

In the end you will replace the rotor not because they are too thin you will replace it because they are to rusty.
If the rust thickness become to thick, it will be affect your baking in an emergency situation.

A solution can be that the car take on the brakes very slighty to clean the rust off every second ride for one oder two miles ?

I know from the past, Mercedes has taken a automatic drying program in the E-Klasse when the brakes get wet. The brake take on automatically wo dry the rotors for best braking.
A little bit rediculous but that was selled as an advanced technology.

Zas what you are seeing is very normal for rotors, this will happen on all cars when the rotors get wet and the humidity level allows oxidation before evaporation. Use of brakes will naturally clean this surface rust off the rotor, just like when you learn to drive you should be taught to ride your brake a bit after going thru a substantial puddle to dry your rotors and pads so they will be ready in a panic situation. Nothing wrong here.

As long as you brake often enough so that the pads always have a clean and smooth area to swipe it's not a problem. The rust occurring outside the swept area is appearance only. (Some Prius dealers have talked people into replacing the rotors because of that--I don't expect this to be a problem at a Tesla service centre. Just one more reason to avoid car dealers.)

Your breaks will also likely squeak until the rust comes off. Also not a problem.

A good way to stop that is to do 5 or so emergency stops from 65 mph (hard enough that the ABS engages).

Make sure that:
a) You do this on a wide, dry road.
b) Nobody is behind you.
c) You don't have stuff lying around inside the car / trunk / frunk.

The breaking power of the MS is quite impressive...

In the cold, wet weather we've been having, I have also been finding that my brakes are "sticking" to the rotors when parked. Several times I've put the car in gear and had to give it a bit of power until it kind of "snaps" free. Never experienced that on past cars before...

Rotor rust is a minor problem, until it gets imbedded into the brake pads. From there, it can get burned into the rotor surface under hard braking, resulting in pulsing brakes. I had terrible problems with this on a couple of Audi cars until I upgraded to high zinc content rotors. I wish Tesla would do the same.

In the cold, wet weather we've been having, I have also been finding that my brakes are "sticking" to the rotors when parked. Several times I've put the car in gear and had to give it a bit of power until it kind of "snaps" free. Never experienced that on past cars before...

I experience this stickiness also. Rotors get a light rust coating after I wash the car, but shine right up after some braking, just like on my other cars.

These problem arrived at any EV that I have seen until today.

The rotors will rust much faster because the surface is not so often used as in an ICE car.
The case is that in every EV you will use the mechanical brake much less.

In the end you will replace the rotor not because they are too thin you will replace it because they are to rusty.
If the rust thickness become to thick, it will be affect your baking in an emergency situation.

A solution can be that the car take on the brakes very slighty to clean the rust off every second ride for one oder two miles ?

I know from the past, Mercedes has taken a automatic drying program in the E-Klasse when the brakes get wet. The brake take on automatically wo dry the rotors for best braking.
A little bit rediculous but that was selled as an advanced technology.

???

I have never seen anybody replace rotors because they are too rusty.

Even in the S you end up using the bakes a little bit when you drive.

They will never get to a point where they "rust through" and must be replaced because of that.

Have you ever had that happen to you?

I've had a similar situation after washing my car and leaving overnight
Haven't figured out how to leave the car in neutral.
Brakes keep getting applied after I lock the doors