Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Model S Road-Trip: Eight States and Two Six-Strings, a Father and his Son

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My son and I leave tomorrow for our first real East Coast Road Trip. While I have covered well-over 6,000 miles in 14 weeks, we will cover over 1,000 miles in the next six days.
We have some goals, and I guess we can state them now and see where it all lands.

To use our first Supercharger.
Drive through Times Square.
Drive through Nicola Tesla Square.
To use our second Supercharger.
Awaken to watch the wild ponies of Assateague ponder a Tesla.
Camp out of the back of a Model S.
Camp out of the Frunk of a Model S.
Buy used Cowboy boots and maybe a cowboy hat.
See Camden Yards.
See Williamsburg or Gettysburg, and eat a lot of Burgers.
Leave no exhaust.
See a Broadway Show.
Run the Rocky Stairs in Philly.
Play guitar in eight states.
Play soccer in Central Park.
Play soccer on a beach.
Play soccer somewhere it is totally prohibited.
Watch gas stations breeze by like summer fields.

Will let you know how it's going. Advice for the route is welcome - we are flexible.
We have lots of time, no hesitation, and no reservations - except the Fat Canary in Williamsburg, and Book of Mormon in NYC. Have not reserved one hotel or campsite.
Route: Mass Rhode Island Connecticut New York Delaware Virginia Maryland Pennsylvania NY CT RI MA

Here we go.

Last edited:
Sounds awesome! We would love to see some pictures, especially the Model S out at Assateague! I assume you'll be doing a lot of charging at RV parks (for the higher amp charging than public stations), let us know which ones you end up at-- I've tried to keep Plugshare updated with RV parks other Model S owners have used. I'm also keeping track of overnight hotel/cabin charging locations here: http://dcubed.com/evmap/ - best of luck!

Last edited:
Jim,

Somehow you're skipping my home state, the Garden State. Unless there's a new tunnel?
An aversion to Bruce?

When you get back I'll let you in on our Tuesday/Thursday pickup soccer games...

Have a blast,
/Ed

PS: May I also suggest contacting Tom (ActiveE Mobility: Driving an Electric BMW 1-Series) who was instrumental in my conversion to electric cars and helpful in picking out my solar panels. He has a great restaurant in NJ with free charging.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip. I had a father-graduating (high school) son East Coast ballpark trip planned for late May but it looks like the State Finals track meet will get in the way, unfortunately.

Enjoy - and post updates with photos!

Hi All -

Decided to go and meet up with Jim and his son at the Milford CT Supercharger on the first leg of their road trip. Hadn't seen Jim since November for the Motor Trend announcement. Was great to catch up this evening!

We continued onward down to the city and I veered off to my home in Westchester NY as they continued down to manhattan.

Aaron

photo.JPG

Jim & His Son - This was Jim's first time supercharging his Model S!

Last edited:
Aaron that is a great pic. Thanks so much for meeting up with us. Was worth the trip for the free desert I know...
We arrived in Manhattan and promptly parked in a garage with a Chargepoint. Which was still wrapped in the packaging cellophane. And not only was it not working but it has never worked AND they are about to remove it for renovations. A FINE START.

Was actually a great day and great ride here. Lots of Slacker. Lots of carbs.

Aaronthanks for posting the pic and - Onards.

For some reason, until seeing this picture which juxtaposes the SC in the foreground with the gas pumps in the background, it never really occurred to me just how much EV charging is outside of the norm!

I'm sure virtually anyone pulling into a filling station expects to have a canopy over their head to protect them, their vehicle and its contents from whatever Mother Nature is dishing out that day.

Us poor schmoes? We're out there in the elements, and our poor vehicles for far longer than us most likely!

Anywho, good luck with the rest of your grand adventure! My travels down here are much more pedestrian (as the number of SC is somewhere near or below zero, which also approximates the number of useful 30A or greater public chargers), tomorrow I'm driving about 120 miles one way to an event (in a swamp of all places!), then heading directly home if charge allows, otherwise diverting to one of the few known working chargers down here in Hicksville, USA.

Aaron that is a great pic. Thanks so much for meeting up with us. Was worth the trip for the free desert I know...
We arrived in Manhattan and promptly parked in a garage with a Chargepoint. Which was still wrapped in the packaging cellophane. And not only was it not working but it has never worked AND they are about to remove it for renovations. A FINE START.

Was actually a great day and great ride here. Lots of Slacker. Lots of carbs.

Aaronthanks for posting the pic and - Onards.

Hey Jim!

That sucks! (about the charger) - and it was late, so trying to go to the other garage (further away) would have been a pain. At least you have the option to charge later today at your friends....

Was great seeing you two last night - and the free ice cream rocked! Good luck on the next leg of your trip tomorrow and enjoy your day in the city and your broadway show!

Aaron

The grandest irony to me- unanticipated- as my son and I supercharged for the first time - was looking at the massive aray of pumps at this major rest stop, covered by a huge canopy, and noticing hat that Mobil Oil Pump Canopy is covered by solar panels for the Tesla Supercharger. I mean - isn't that what the electric car movement is all about, in a canopy-shell?

Greenwhich Village today. Central Park later. Drive through Times Square last night. Sunroof fully open. Windows open Sinatra belting New York New York on slacker. We stopped right in the middle and got out and looked around and everyone was so surprised hey didn't even honk at us. Magic.

"Hello, Cleveland!" Jim--I'm less concerned about your finding a supercharger than I am about you getting arrested with your 14 year old son in tow! Not sure the cops will figure out how to drive your Tesla when they impound it down at Battery Park (you've been there before, right?)
New to the Tesla Motor Club and "1-2 months" away from my very own delivery out in Los Angeles (I hope I'm allowed to do this before actually owning the Tesla!)
Jim and I are college buds and I have been convinced (perhaps brainwashed is a better term) to join the band wagon. Little did I know I was joining a cult too. I'll drink the cool-aid.
Have an awesome trip with Peter and beware of horse chips on whatever that Island you are going to.

NYC has been a blast. The Tesla loved Times Square. Washingtone Square Park. Free charge overnight at E90th. Set for today - NJ to Delaware to Supercharge, to Maryland's National Seashore. will post pics as soon as feasible. Difficult with just an iPhone and iPad. Keith and Becky thanks for the awesome stay, Gil thanks for the same. Onwards,,

Dear Space, Peter and i have neither been arrested nor found ourselves wrestling in a heap of trash bags in The Village (1991). All please welcome Doctor Space. Was about to buy an A8 but at the gates of ICE Hell, he was Model S-aved.

Leaving NYC right now...

Last edited:
NYC has been a blast. The Tesla loved Times Square. Washingtone Square Park. Free charge overnight at E90th. Set for today - NJ to Delaware to Supercharge, to Maryland's National Seashore. will post pics as soon as feasible. Difficult with just an iPhone and iPad. Keith and Becky thanks for the awesome stay, Gil thanks for the same. Onwards,,

Dear Space, Peter and i have neither been arrested nor found ourselves wrestling in a heap of trash bags in The Village (1991). All please welcome Doctor Space. Was about to buy an A8 but at the gates of ICE Hell, he was Model S-aved.

Leaving NYC right now...

Jim

Way to go - we should all get our friends to forgo ICE in leu of driving the *amazing* Model S!

Aaron

IMG_6984.jpg

Jim's Model S in Times Square.... Getting a curious stare!

IMG_7695.jpg

Jim's Son (right) with his friends in NYC....

Last edited:
Jim, Peter & "Elroy" Update!

They've made it to the Newark, DE Supercharger! -- And onward to MD!

IMG_5638.jpg

"Teslas in stereo: Peter and Bear playing guitar and ukulele at the Delaware supercharger". (Was a great moment)

IMG_4349.jpg

Big wind. Big beach. Big campfire. Big dinner. Small footprint. All great on Assateague Island, MD.

Last edited:
Awakening on Assateague now, blue sky and roaring surf. Model S sits quietly by the campfire (wait, is it running?) and has proven itself the perfect camping companion for Peter and me. Tons of space, a frunk to hide valuables in NYC now houses supplies, cookware and trash, keeping the horses at bay and leaving the cars interior spotless. Ponies just walking around everywhere , just like in "Misty" of Chincoteague"...have yet to play Wild Horses on Slacker but I promise to at least sing it.

We have traveled about 600 miles, Supercharged in CT and Delaware, topped off at a chargepoint in NYC. Averaging 333wh/mile and averaging let's just say good velocity, high volume, and full cabin comfort. Really great having dinner w Aaron at the Milford CT Supercharger and meeting Baer iat rhe SC in Delaware. How ironic to travel 500 miles and park next to another Model S from Massachusetts. Baer and my son Peter reprised Good Lovin' on guitar and ukulele live, standing between the cars - Teslas in Stereo, as posted above. For those wondering, it was more Grateful Dead than Rascals.

As we were about to make a final turn toward Assateague Island, we opted instead to first try and pick up firewood at a local market. As we turned to park, over to my right- A Green Model S. We are in a town of - a few thousand people? Naturally, as George and Elon would have it, great conversation followed along with incredibly helpful advice from this very kind local Tesal owner. His car arrived here six days after ours arrived in Massachusetts, VINs a few hundred apart...but that brand new-looking Green Model S has 17,000 miles on it. In summary, the payback for dropping gas will be much quicker...and I suggest the next SC go in at his house here in MD.

Beautiful morning here. Time for OJ and Fristed Flakes. Breakfast of EV Champions, ESP with a 14 year old riding shotgun.

Aaron thanks much for posting on our behalf.

Awakening on Assateague now, blue sky and roaring surf. Model S sits quietly by the campfire (wait, is it running?) and has proven itself the perfect camping companion for Peter and me. Tons of space, a frunk to hide valuables in NYC now houses supplies, cookware and trash, keeping the horses at bay and leaving the cars interior spotless. Ponies just walking around everywhere , just like in "Misty" of Chincoteague"...have yet to play Wild Horses on Slacker but I promise to at least sing it.

We have traveled about 600 miles, Supercharged in CT and Delaware, topped off at a chargepoint in NYC. Averaging 333wh/mile and averaging let's just say good velocity, high volume, and full cabin comfort. Really great having dinner w Aaron at the Milford CT Supercharger and meeting Baer iat rhe SC in Delaware. How ironic to travel 500 miles and park next to another Model S from Massachusetts. Baer and my son Peter reprised Good Lovin' on guitar and ukulele live, standing between the cars - Teslas in Stereo, as posted above. For those wondering, it was more Grateful Dead than Rascals.

As we were about to make a final turn toward Assateague Island, we opted instead to first try and pick up firewood at a local market. As we turned to park, over to my right- A Green Model S. We are in a town of - a few thousand people? Naturally, as George and Elon would have it, great conversation followed along with incredibly helpful advice from this very kind local Tesal owner. His car arrived here six days after ours arrived in Massachusetts, VINs a few hundred apart...but that brand new-looking Green Model S has 17,000 miles on it. In summary, the payback for dropping gas will be much quicker...and I suggest the next SC go in at his house here in MD.

Beautiful morning here. Time for OJ and Fristed Flakes. Breakfast of EV Champions, ESP with a 14 year old riding shotgun.

Aaron thanks much for posting on our behalf.

You bet Jim! Keep the pictures coming and I'll keep posting!

Aaron