Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes in the Roadster - Tesla Gear Shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BryanW

R#664, Model S#1526
Jun 3, 2012
Utah
So, it seems they have removed a number of upgrades and items from the Roadster - Tesla Gear Shop.

There may be others, but the ones I notice are missing are the:
- Sound reduction upgrades
- Double DIN upgrade
- Footwell upgrade
- Mounting point / lift things
- Tire pressure monitor reset tool

Others?

So, are they temporarily gone? No longer available? Being replaced with better upgrades?

Anyone know?

Thanks 7racer, I'm glad to see there is still a link to the Roadster from the Tesla home page! Personally, as it was their first car, I think it should still have a tab up top.

The Roadster upgrade page appears to be an older version of the store. As Raffy points out, it only has the first stage kit (I don't have either, but was thinking about it for this fall), and none of the upgrades on this page have prices or ordering information. It appears we are supposed to order from the main store page.

Also, the "upgrade page" doesn't have the other things that have been removed, like upgraded front fascia, double din, etc as per my first post.

What I was really hoping was for Bonnie to chime in and say there would be a new replacement for the double DIN with a 7" touch screen that looks and functions like the touch screen in the Model S, with internet connectivity and an iPhone/Android App.

I can dream, right?

What I was really hoping was for Bonnie to chime in and say there would be a new replacement for the double DIN with a 7" touch screen that looks and functions like the touch screen in the Model S, with internet connectivity and an iPhone/Android App.

I can dream, right?

Parrot ASTEROID Smart In-Car Demo! | Android Powered Car Stereo - YouTube

There is already an aftermarket app available for the Roadster

OVMS Module for 2.x Tesla Roadsters | Open Vehicle Systems

I'm aware of the OVMS and am considering it. I was also considering the double DIN upgrade (mostly because I would like to add in the rear camera), but everyone's reviews of the Alpine unit are terrible. I realize you can do this piecemeal aftermarket, but I was hoping there would be a nice all in one package!

We are scheduled to take our car in for service in Seattle at the end of the month. We asked to have the heater footwell upgrade and second stage sound reduction upgrades done at that time. After emailing Seattle Service with our request the response was "that all looks great".

Finally, the Parrot is available! 2 years!

I'm already a registered developer for Parrot, and first job is to convert the android App we have to work on it. Not hard.

Once the app is ported to the Parrot this unit will offer 90% of the capabilities of the Model S HU with way cooler apps

-Voice Activated Music Search
-Internet Browser
-Google Maps with Sat & Traffic
-Graphical representation of the car with access to features (i.e. unlock, tire PSI etc)
-Multiple USB inputs
-WiFi

This is the head unit we all have been waiting for! Nothing else even compares.

Perhaps this unit could be the solution for 1.5/2.0 single-din owners?

Amazon.com: Parrot Asteroid Android-Powered Car Stereo (iPod/iPhone/iPad Compatible): Car Electronics

I wonder if it would be possible to have OVMS and the Parrot share the same data plan/wireless connection.

That Parrot double din system does look quite nice!
I wonder if Tesla would install a Double DIN with the Parrot unit (instead of the Alpine unit) and the backup camera?

I have heard of Tesla installing the double din housing and leaving it open for the customer to install a hu of their choice.