Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver WA to/from Vancouver BC trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a trip from Vancouver WA to downtown Vancouver BC in a few months and looking for suggestions for a "mid point" charge. I have the 85kW and made it easily from Vancouver to Kirkland. I'm looking for an HPWC as I have the dual chargers.

Anybody have any ideas other than asking Tesla Bellevue Square if I could charge there for two or three hours? Guess I would hang out of the square.

Once in BC I'm going to stay at a hotel near the Harbour Center which has 30A/J1772 chargers. Since I'm there for a several days that should not be any problem.

On the return trip I have the same issue except (thanks to V12-to-12V) I can access the Roadster charger in Centrailia WA. That means I only need to charge for an hour or so at Bellevue Square and then for an hour in Centralia.

I'm open to better/other plans.

Of course, what we really NEED NEED NEED is a supercharger or two along I5!

Just found this about BC installing over 450 EV charging stations! Cool
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/09/12/bc-electric-charging-station.html

Last edited:
For high power charging without a Roadster adapter, I think the Tesla store in Bellevue is about it. BUT, that can be dicey. I stopped by there last Sunday just to check it out. There are two HPCs - one Roadster, and one Model S. Both were in use, and there was no contact info posted on the S. The S had temporary plates, so I doubt it was the store's test drive car. Also, I read somewhere that the Roadster to S adapter that was available grew legs and walked off.

I guess your alternative is to plan for an extended J1772 charge. Kirkland is a good choice for such. If you can get one of the two spots in the garage under the library, have a long lunch at the very nice Trellis restaurant and read some magazines in the library. Or, go on down to Marina Park - there is a decent Italian restaurant a stones throw from the ChargePoint J1772. Other eateries a bit up the hill.

A quick aside: I wish folks using public charging facilities would leave contact info on the dash. I think it is the courteous thing to do.:smile:
Since the charge cable is not locked onto the LEAF, the card I carry specifies a time I can be unplugged and provides a contact number. With the Tesla, I just provide a contact number.

Last edited:
I've done the trip from Portland to Vancouver BC several times. I called ahead to the Bellevue store (Genny is awesome) and they made sure to have a free plug for me. Charged for a couple hours and was on my way, worked out great. I believe you can also plug in at the Tesla store downtown, although their space is limited.

I've done the trip from Portland to Vancouver BC several times. I called ahead to the Bellevue store (Genny is awesome) and they made sure to have a free plug for me. Charged for a couple hours and was on my way, worked out great. I believe you can also plug in at the Tesla store downtown, although their space is limited.
Good to know - I didn't realize Bellevue would take reservations, so to speak.

Another possibility might be the Bellevue Service Center, when it opens - probably a few months away.

There are zillions of 30amp j1772 plugs around Seattle, but downtown Kirkland is a nice place for a few hours. Bellevue Square does have lots more shopping.

It's too bad you can't make it to Blaine WA at the border - there's a high power J1772 but that looks like 275 miles from Vancouver WA.