Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crowd fund to advertise Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Just wanting some opinions on if starting a crowd fund to put the Tesla "Gallons of Light" commercial on Hulu. I think that people would be really interested in it and Hulu is one of the most effective.
Here is the link:
Tesla Model S: Commercial - YouTube

I will have crowd fund organized soon.
$15,000 = 225,000 views
Supported by Tesla, not funded, funded by proud Model S owners and supporters

Last edited:
I think the commercial itself would have negligible reach. That said, if you did clearly put something like "this commercial voluntarily paid for by happy Tesla customers"-- THAT would get press attention and might be covered heavily creating the type of PR that money can't buy.

I think the commercial itself would have negligible reach. That said, if you did clearly put something like "this commercial voluntarily paid for by happy Tesla customers"-- THAT would get press attention and might be covered heavily creating the type of PR that money can't buy.

Exactly! Happy and by free will ;-) cant imagine toyota or GM getting customers wanting to help in such a way

I would contribute a C-note or two to that.

However, I urge that we get someone with a strong PR background to help design the message. It's very easy to see how an innocent message like this can be taken out of context (especially the press).

Remember Elon's tweet? He must have thought: "Oh, I'm putting billions of my own money on the line here - that's v. major.", and everybody else thought: "Oh, what an idiot for making such a big deal out of a lease program.". It's very easy to be so close to something that you can't see the downside.

What we want to be seen as a spontaneous out-pore of owner support can be misconstrued as: "Tesla owners afraid of getting stranded on the electric highway. Puts own money towards advertising campaign to try and save Tesla from going under."

Maybe the message should be more around the lines of starting with 'Thank you Tesla for proving that America can still make something great - as a token of our appreciation we've created the following for you...', rather than the typical "This message sponsored by ..." afterwards?

Anyway, I'm definitely not a Don Draper, but hopefully someone else out here is?

I would also recommend getting a hold of PR for Tesla and see if they are okay with this. I am sure they are not doing something to this extent already for a reason. Whether that is due to demand being too high currently or perhaps they don't want too much publicity too soon.

When Plug in America produced the Gasoline VS Electric commercials/PSAs the goal was to get 20,000 YouTube clicks (10 times and other PIA video). When Hulu picked them up as Public Service announcements and put them in rotation there were thousands of hits on the Plug In America page. That translates into millions and millions of Hulu viewings.

One of the seven PSAs

Last edited by a moderator:
You know guys, I really REALLY like this idea. But I think we will have to do a few things to get started if we are serious about this.

1. Contact Hulu/Advertiser to check pricing on stuff like this. (This needs to be done first I think)
- If its something like 5000 dollars, that sounds reachable, but 20,000 dollars not so much
- Can we afford the price point and how long would we want to crowd fund this for? We can just keep a donation open until we hit the target number, instead of having a set date. This would allow someone to say, donate a few hundred every pay check until we hit the number we need.

2. Once we realized that A) We can afford to do it and B) We have enough interest. We should contact Tesla PR.
- If there is a reason Tesla is not putting out Hulu videos now, there may be a reason they would want us not to.
- They could also help with the wording of the opening "Paid/produced by happy Tesla Model S Owners" may/may not cut it.

3. Produce a new cut of the video.
- The video they have now is awesome, I think its perfect, but we will have to produce the first part about its funding, or keep a disclaimer at the bottom near the end.

I don't know who is good with this marketing stuff or who wants to "lead the charge" so to speak on this. I would be happy to try and contact Hulu, but I have zero experience in this field and would much rather hand it off to someone familiar with it.

So, what say you guys? Time to get serious?

Great points Bardlebee,
I contacted Hulu this morning for some info, and I am talking to Jordan Blotch tonight and I will bring up the topic, to get his view. Thanks for the ideas!
I was thinking a limited campaign of about 5k-10k. I'll see what Hulu says, I know they are the only ads I watch!

Also its worth noting that a YouTube ad would be quite useless due to the fact that no one watches them. Source: myself. Also I would imagine YouTube ads would be more expensive.

I can't think of a better place then Hulu as they make you watch the 30 second ad all the way through and have great content. There is nothing saying this has to be limited campaign so to speak. We could have a donation bin of sorts up for months if we wanted to. Eventually we would hit our goal. I know I could contribute a few hundred dollars to the cause.