Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Release to factory" date pushed back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I placed my deposit/order on 4/5/13, and got a confirmation email stating that the car would be released to the factory two weeks later on on 4/18.

In the mean time, I was supposed to be able to tweak the design until then, but due to an issue with the Tesla website, I was unable to do so. See thread here.

I emailed Tesla customer service about the issue, and they fixed it today. I logged on and see that I can now edit my design, but when doing so, I see that my factory release date is now 4/23.

Has any body else had their release date get pushed back as a result of making configuration changes? It appears that should NOT be the case, as the email states:

"We'll release your Model S to the factory in two weeks. Until then, you can make any changes you like. If you need more time, call us."

Pretty clearly, I can make changes until my initial two weeks are up.

i suspect this is a result of their "resetting" my order to fix the website issue.

Has anybody had success in getting an order release date screw-up like this fixed? I have an event on 6/10 that I'm hoping to have the car for, and I was hoping to just make it when I placed my order.

It seems your original build date was decided on your order configuration, if you change the configuration you change the batch position you are in, what changes to your configuration did you make? We know that product batching has been a very successful part of the increased production, so I can understand that if you change your batch configuration you risk the chance of changing batch location on the line.

I changed color... but I'm actually not sure I don't want the original... I primarily did it so my wife and I could look at the build pics in the new color.

A bit misleading to say you can make changes until "then" after giving you a specific date.

I just changed it back to my original choice (blue), and the date did not revert back... :(

Thanks for the response.

Well if you changed it back to BLUE, (you will be thrilled with the blue, I have so many compliments on my car). You should call your Tesla contact, I can see where color change would upset your build place on the line but if you are back to original you may be able to squeeze back in , your tesla contact should be able to help you. You should remove your RN number from your tag line at the bottom of the posts, that is a very personal number for communicating with Tesla.

I've not personally seen the new order status text that now shows for new orders. But if it is as you state (and as I've seen others write), then it says you can make changes. It doesn't say you can make changes without impacting the date the order is released to factory. I.e. you can make changes (vs. not being able to make changes), but said changes may push the date back. Contrast this to people in the past that once you finalized, even if it was months ahead of the order going to the factory, you couldn't make changes without pleading your case with Tesla (and in some cases still being denied).

So, I think you are reading more into what they are allowing than it actually says.

I placed my deposit/order on 4/5/13, and got a confirmation email stating that the car would be released to the factory two weeks later on on 4/18.

In the mean time, I was supposed to be able to tweak the design until then, but due to an issue with the Tesla website, I was unable to do so. See thread here.

I emailed Tesla customer service about the issue, and they fixed it today. I logged on and see that I can now edit my design, but when doing so, I see that my factory release date is now 4/23.

Has any body else had their release date get pushed back as a result of making configuration changes? It appears that should NOT be the case, as the email states:

"We'll release your Model S to the factory in two weeks. Until then, you can make any changes you like. If you need more time, call us."

Pretty clearly, I can make changes until my initial two weeks are up.

i suspect this is a result of their "resetting" my order to fix the website issue.

Has anybody had success in getting an order release date screw-up like this fixed? I have an event on 6/10 that I'm hoping to have the car for, and I was hoping to just make it when I placed my order.

I placed my deposit two years before my car was released to the factory for manufacture. with only a 5 day push back on manufacture date you should get in line behind those who waited YEARS and then had their dates moved back MONTHS. as soon as you get your car those 5 DAYS will seem insignificant.

I placed my deposit two years before my car was released to the factory for manufacture. with only a 5 day push back on manufacture date you should get in line behind those who waited YEARS and then had their dates moved back MONTHS. as soon as you get your car those 5 DAYS will seem insignificant.

Yes. And I waited months for one of the first 1080p projectors to get released in the US after having a reservation for it. Included were several delays.

None of that changes: 1) Communication regarding known impacts should be communicated clearly, and 2) the just because the early adopter experience tends to be rough around the edges doesn't mean things can't and shouldn't be improved.

Your post wasn't helpful in the least, and simply reeks of "If I have to suffer, you should too." Instead, I want to have a positive ordering experience with no unexpected negative surprises, and wish the same for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you changed it back to BLUE, (you will be thrilled with the blue, I have so many compliments on my car). You should call your Tesla contact, I can see where color change would upset your build place on the line but if you are back to original you may be able to squeeze back in , your tesla contact should be able to help you. You should remove your RN number from your tag line at the bottom of the posts, that is a very personal number for communicating with Tesla.

(weird... the site just clobbered several of my replies, so responding again so a bit out of order)

Thanks, I've called my contact... he just apologized for the date having changed, he states that shouldn't have happened. As a result of the two issues having inconvenienced me, he's offered to release it to manufacturing as soon as I'm ready (today if I should like). Good folks there.

Good to hear about the blue.... I think it looks sharp in the pics. Do you have any trouble keeping it clean? We are visiting the DC store this weekend... I hope to see it in person so we can decide and I'll pull the trigger.

And thanks about the RN number suggestion... done.

I've not personally seen the new order status text that now shows for new orders. But if it is as you state (and as I've seen others write), then it says you can make changes. It doesn't say you can make changes without impacting the date the order is released to factory. I.e. you can make changes (vs. not being able to make changes), but said changes may push the date back. Contrast this to people in the past that once you finalized, even if it was months ahead of the order going to the factory, you couldn't make changes without pleading your case with Tesla (and in some cases still being denied).

So, I think you are reading more into what they are allowing than it actually says.

Well, except that doesn't make sense then. What does "until then" mean? My initial date was 4/18. I made a change, and now my date is 4/23. What does until then" mean now? If I make another change, is it going to change again? It's not clear.

In any case, just spoke to my Tesla contact, and he confirmed that shouldn't have happened... so unless he's also reading too much in to it, you should be able to make changes up until your release date and not impact it.

Last edited:
Well, except that doesn't make sense then. What does "until then" mean? My initial date was 4/18. I made a change, and now my date is 4/23. What does until then" mean now? If I make another change, is it going to change again? It's not clear.

In any case, just spoke to my Tesla contact, and he confirmed that shouldn't have happened... so unless he's also reading too much in to it, you should be able to make changes up until your release date and not impact it.
Did you get pushed to the factory? Any updates?

Did you get pushed to the factory?Any updates?

That's what I've been told.

We went to the DC store on Saturday, and I was hoping to see cars with both gray and blue paint finishes in person... but they only had brown and white. The white car was a P85, and what I test drove. My wife said she just closed her eyes in the back seat when I punched it on freeway onramps and during lane merges. :)

After looking at their color sample pieces, I was 90% decided on the blue. The store associate also offered to release the car to the factory immediately, but I decided to take the rest of the weekend to make sure. I called my Tesla guy Monday and asked him to pull the trigger. He called back and told me that he had forwarded the request to the factory.

As of today my "My Garage" page on the Tesla site hasn't updated status, but when I called to check, he told me that there isn't a good mechanism mechanism for the factory to update the web site "ad hoc", but that my car was indeed released. So the clock should be ticking!

Another fun note: I was too busy paying attention to the relatively busy and congested DC streets (the Cherry Blossom festival, complete with parade, street closures, and street concerts was going on) to notice, but my wife said that the car was turning heads everywhere we went...

-sc