Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes SLS Electric 4WD 750bhp review, 18 min video ..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla cannot do torque vectoring, it only has 1 electric motor, you need 1 per wheel.

torque vectoring is just either positive power or negative (regen) power

As I said in another thread in my opinion I think it is possible also for Tesla to do torque vectoring. It's just a matter of properly designing the ESC in the case of AWD.
The torque (as of course also the brake) could be applied to any single wheel in an independent way according to the need.

This matter has been discussed in this thread:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...uld-you-pay-for-AWD/page3?p=211247#post211247

Really interesting, that SLS-E is a beast. Are there any head to head comparisons with it and the Model S?

Curious to get a breakdown of the key differentiators and also curious if Tesla (with it's Daimler relationship) had anything to do with this particular car. Impressive.

I found Chris Harris' review of the Roadster (below) but I'm curious to hear his thoughts relative to the Model S as well...

YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
The way he gushes! Driving without powertrain bias and just speaking on the car's ability. Usually it's just the racers that do that.

Tesla is usually way out ahead on production EVs so I can't imagine them not doing this on the Tesla Supercar. I just hope they have a R&D group building a patent portfolio.

As a fan of Top Gear, Fifth Gear, other motoring shows... after the Model S became a real product all of those shows became boring. This is the first car vid I've enjoyed watching in months and months. Even as recently as this week I had people gasp at me when I said my next car will be electric. Behind the curve I say! They need to be dragged along.

Mercedes SLS Electric Drive. Can Volts Ever Match Pistons

Wicked cool. Gives you and idea of what AWD can do.

This is long but wow. Some incredible video at normal and slower speed. It really showed the different modes of operation. Crazy how this guy was talking and driving like the way he was. And the track was wet.

Title: Mercedes SLS Electric Drive. Can Volts Ever Match Pistons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IElqf-FCMs8

Last edited by a moderator:
small number technology demo, I suppose...

I've often discussed with buddies the idea of using a high power micro to manage four speed controllers coupled to four out runner brushless motors driving each wheel on one of these off road RC buggies. I thought it would be a blast to play to torque steering and brake steering like the F1 teams have tried but do so at an affordable level. Combined mag, g and yaw sensors have gotten incredibly cheap these days which opens up many different directions to go play (and loose months of my life :) ). Somehow we never got around to it and now I can just go buy an SLS-E. Anyone got a big bag of drug money they want to get rid of?

Just dawned on me: Since MS brakes are ~rarely used, why were they not originally placed inboard?? Given this unprecedented reality, at least for a production vehicle, they should have gone for the opportunity to remove all that unsprung weight. Did the E Jag have them??
--