Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S a hybrid after all ??!??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it is just a bad auto-generated page with stale content.
The links to the right show "Photos of the Volvo Roadster".
When you click there it says "3 pictures total" then offers you 2 photos of the Tesla Roadster.

I seem to be believe a quote from Musk more than an obscure article somewhere. Still we do know that they have considered both a hybrid and a pure BEV or possibly both. This might be the same as those SUV rumors, something they are considering in the future.
I'm hoping for a good pure BEV regardless of, if they make a hybrid or not.

Cobos

Details about deciding on all electric or series hybrid for Model S:

Greentech Media: Green Light Blog Archive Tesla Kills its Gas-Electric Hybrid

Those plans have been scrapped. Speaking at the GoingGreen conference yesterday, Musk officially said that Tesla was only pursuing all-electric cars and not hybrids.

Why the reversal? During the early part of the summer, Tesla began to more seriously analyze the engineering challenges of making a plug-in series hybrid. In an all-electric car, the battery pack only has to be charged every 250 miles or so. In a series hybrid, the battery needs to be charged every 40 miles before getting recharged by the gas engine. Thus, the battery in a series hybrid goes through a lot more cycles in a year.

Lithium ion battery packs, which Tesla put in its Roadster, do not hold up well under intense cycling like that. “The battery you need for a plug-in (series) hybrid has to have a very high cycle life,” said Tesla Chief Marketing Officer Daryl Siry. “You need an entirely different chemistry.”