Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what the %@$@ happened to Tesla's marketing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First the "lease a Model-S for $500" (when its NOT a lease and we all know where the $500 comes from....), now its a FB marketing campaign:
#WattsUp: The world is my charging station! Model S can plug into any outlet & recharge up to 62 miles of range/hour Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

Something changed..... somebody snapped..... what the hell is happening?

I love the company, the product, the stores. Where is the company leadership. GeorgeB, this is happening on your watch!

Over promising a new technology, game changing, world class product will lead to upset customers because you really do NOT want to appeal to those that get hooked only on a false headline, then cancel or bad mouth when you reality hits. IMO.

Pretty classic marketing. Better to pique interest and disappoint than to never pique their interest at all. Sales, ads, news headlines, etc all follow the same pattern for well researched sociological reasons.

It is exactly this type of silly hype that leads many of us early adopters and loyal supporters to cringe. This is precisely why we hate traditional car dealerships. Tesla has changed the game with this car, so why not change the game with a new marketing model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't see how this is an issue since the link following the statement is easily noticeable. And the link leads directly to the "go electric" portion of Tesla's website. From there a graphic explains the different sockets and their charge rates(120V@12A = 5 MPH, 240V@40A = 31 MPH and the HPWC (240V@80A w/Twin Chargers) = 62 MPH. After the charge rates is an explanation of Supercharging.

Could it be worded better? Probably but I don't see it as enough of a concern that I would find fault with it.

I don't see how this is an issue since the link following the statement is easily noticeable. And the link leads directly to the "go electric" portion of Tesla's website. From there a graphic explains the different sockets and their charge rates(120V@12A = 5 MPH, 240V@40A = 31 MPH and the HPWC (240V@80A w/Twin Chargers) = 62 MPH. After the charge rates is an explanation of Supercharging.

Could it be worded better? Probably but I don't see it as enough of a concern that I would find fault with it.

It's unwise to assume people read links. People read 140-character headlines. TL;DR.

"Model S can plug into any outlet & recharge up to 62 miles of range/hour"
This directly leads the reader to believe 62 miles of range can be drawn from any outlet. To get up to 62 that's not "any outlet", by a longshot. Heck, "any outlet" for the vast majority of readers a 110/12A, only giving up to 3 miles each hour!

Tesla's "wow" factors speak for themselves. Tesla doesn't need to weaken their message by making claims that have to be qualified.

Agreed Andy, I plugged into a 110 yesterday for the heck of it and struggled to hit 3mph. A 110 is what people will think of when you say any outlet.

Agreed, it's misleading... and the media is quick to point out fuzzy factoids like this after the over-promising that accompanied the big lease deal news. Why bait bad press, not worth it. Why obfuscate when there are already salient selling points to be made?

I dunno. While I'd prefer no 'marketing speak', I don't think it matters.

Soundbites are really all that matters. If people cared about actual facts, the political process would be a lot more interesting. I think it's more about cramming a soundbite into their head ("plug in anywhere") than trying to be precise in the message. The 'up to n miles' is accurate and probably more than enough for this. If Tesla started breaking it down, I suspect a large number of the population would just block out the whole message.

This forum is diff, filled mostly with smart/inquisitive people. Do you all feel the rest of Tesla's target market is the same?