Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gasless in Miami...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But seriously, I'm wondering how fellow condo dwellers with their shared parking areas are managing to rejuice their Teslas.

I'm ready to buy, but the major sticking point is that I'd have to pay my condo association(contingent upon approval) to have an outlet installed near my spot. A couple k is a-ok. But double digits, and I'm out. Anyone out there, especially in and around the 305, willing to share their emancipation stories with me? Thanks for your help!

But seriously, I'm wondering how fellow condo dwellers with their shared parking areas are managing to rejuice their Teslas.

I'm ready to buy, but the major sticking point is that I'd have to pay my condo association(contingent upon approval) to have an outlet installed near my spot. A couple k is a-ok. But double digits, and I'm out. Anyone out there, especially in and around the 305, willing to share their emancipation stories with me? Thanks for your help!

Talk to your HOA. Are they even willing to let you install an outlet from the nearest circuit panel? If so, then have a contractor come out and write up a quote. Unless the HOA is going to set up a shared charging solution, you will need to pay. My install, which involves setting up a 6-50 outlet 300' linear from the nearest circuit panel , and boring down one floor of a multi-floor shared condo garage is going to run me abt $5k with an EVSE certified electrician with a $2M policy for install. I'm willing to pay this, but yours may be cheaper if you are closer to the panel (most of the costs are the conduit!). At the end of the 6-50, I'm having him mount a GE Wattstation J1772 station so I can charge both my Volt and MS.

Or see if the condo is willing to install a few outlets or stations for shared use among the residents. It used to be more feasible with all the subsidized Blink and Chargepoint installs. Now that money is gone, so it's going to cost more. But remind them of the 30% tax credit for businesses for install costs up to $30k.

By the way, i'm inPhoenix, not FL, but in a multi-story condo...Im just about to get mine installed in the next 2 weeks after an 18 month ordeal with my HOA. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck!

Go to one of the stores (on Lincoln Road or in Dania) and talk to the Tesla folks there. They've delivered lots of cars to people in condos, high rises and other seemingly EV-unfriendly locations. They may have success stories they can share with you that you can use to help solve your problem. Charging should be the least of the issues preventing you from buying an MS!

Talk to your HOA. Are they even willing to let you install an outlet from the nearest circuit panel? If so, then have a contractor come out and write up a quote. Unless the HOA is going to set up a shared charging solution, you will need to pay. My install, which involves setting up a 6-50 outlet 300' linear from the nearest circuit panel , and boring down one floor of a multi-floor shared condo garage is going to run me abt $5k with an EVSE certified electrician with a $2M policy for install. I'm willing to pay this, but yours may be cheaper if you are closer to the panel (most of the costs are the conduit!). At the end of the 6-50, I'm having him mount a GE Wattstation J1772 station so I can charge both my Volt and MS.

Or see if the condo is willing to install a few outlets or stations for shared use among the residents. It used to be more feasible with all the subsidized Blink and Chargepoint installs. Now that money is gone, so it's going to cost more. But remind them of the 30% tax credit for businesses for install costs up to $30k.

By the way, i'm inPhoenix, not FL, but in a multi-story condo...Im just about to get mine installed in the next 2 weeks after an 18 month ordeal with my HOA. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck!

Thank you so much for the quick and extremely detailed response!

Judging by all the raised eyebrows in my HOA office it appears my set-up will be similarly involved(read: expensive). But now at least I know what to expect in terms of the technical aspects, as well as costs.

18 months? Oh, boy...I just wanted a car(the best one ever!), and not to be the Norma Rae of HOA's...

Assuming admin keeps this thread around, I'm going to continually return here to update my progress.

Thanks again for your generosity of time and experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Go to one of the stores (on Lincoln Road or in Dania) and talk to the Tesla folks there. They've delivered lots of cars to people in condos, high rises and other seemingly EV-unfriendly locations. They may have success stories they can share with you that you can use to help solve your problem. Charging should be the least of the issues preventing you from buying an MS!

I did the Lincoln Road test-drive! Lots of fun...

Next step is a pow-wow with my HOA, Resident Board, and electrical/construction contractor. We'll see.

Thank you so much for the quick and extremely detailed response!

Judging by all the raised eyebrows in my HOA office it appears my set-up will be similarly involved(read: expensive). But now at least I know what to expect in terms of the technical aspects, as well as costs.

18 months? Oh, boy...I just wanted a car(the best one ever!), and not to be the Norma Rae of HOA's...

Assuming admin keeps this thread around, I'm going to continually return here to update my progress.

Thanks again for your generosity of time and experience.

- - - Updated - - -

I did the Lincoln Road test-drive! Lots of fun...

Next step is a pow-wow with my HOA, Resident Board, and electrical/construction contractor. We'll see.

Haha! The Norma Rae of EVs with HOAs is an apt analogy to what I had to go through. Hopefully, yours wont be nearly as hard. (For reference, I had to spend a lot of time and enlisted Tesla's help in combatting their fears the car would explode while charging)

The Tesla site also recently added some info abut setting up charging or workings with companies who set up charging in multi unit dwellings. If I can find the link, I'll let you know. There's one called Evercharge I think, but I think they are California based. Not sure if they do any ops in FL.

This thread will stay open insome form. It might get moved or merged (there are other similar HOA solution threads in the charging infra sub forum, I think). I'll be happy to provide any more info as you progress!

Yesterday I spoke with one of our Florida club members who lives in a condo. He recently had a struggle with his condo association to permit him to pay for the installation of charging facilities. It was finally agreed to. It's going to cost him $8,000. He would like to see legislation passed that would require condo associations to consider in good faith proposals by condo owners to pay for the installation of charging facilities. He has recently been shopping for other luxury condos and found to his dismay that many associations simply won't even consider the installation of charging facilities, simply not wishing to deal with the issue. I believe that California has such legislation.

Larry

Yesterday I spoke with one of our Florida club members who lives in a condo. He recently had a struggle with his condo association to permit him to pay for the installation of charging facilities. It was finally agreed to. It's going to cost him $8,000. He would like to see legislation passed that would require condo associations to consider in good faith proposals by condo owners to pay for the installation of charging facilities. He has recently been shopping for other luxury condos and found to his dismay that many associations simply won't even consider the installation of charging facilities, simply not wishing to deal with the issue. I believe that California has such legislation.

Larry
Very much my experience. Mind you, I'll pay what it costs to install. And miners high due to the distance from panel to my spaces. Ad I'll pay reasonable costs for kWhs. But some HOAs want to fight this as hard as they can. CA has a law. CO has legislation on its way for vote. More and more this will take on the same look as the whole sat dish fights.

My suggestion if you do run into HOA fights is to point them to the CA legislation. I does account for some of the 'risks' associated with EV stations I shared communities. It calls for the owner to have $1M umbrella liability policy (which doesn't cost much inmost states) among other considerations/stipulations. If the board sees that law, they may approve your request with similar provisions. Mine did, though they added a few other provisions because they are extra fearful. But it can serve as a model for them to see that this is and will be a common request.

Finally, if your spaces are far from the panel, you can consider finding someone with a space closer and trading spaces. You might be able to work a deal where the cost to swap might actually be less than the conduit. Actually, depending on where the panel and entry doors are, someone might see your space as an upgrade and be willing to do it at no cost to you, while you save money because the cost to install the outlet tight be cheaper...