Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Guide Local Government On Installing Chargers & Creating EV Friendly Policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
I'm putting out a call for a little bit of help. I'm a Model S owner with a healthy obsession towards EV policy and reading these forums. I have a meeting with the Mayor and City Manager of a nearby suburb in order to assist them in developing plans for an installation of charging stations. We plan on also discussing EV friendly policy for the municipality. I plan on doing a lot of education but I was wondering if anyone has any advice or has even done something similar for their local governments. Basically, I want to go in there and demonstrate how the barriers to entry for the installation/support of charging stations (cost, technology, EV ownership base) are becoming less obstructive. I'd also like to have some examples of EV friendly policies that go towards the city's stated mission of sustainability.

I used this post as a start to compiling my pitch: Help me build a serious charging network from Los Angeles to Phoenix!

I also stumbled onto a large hospital's Executive Presentation on their foray into installing charging stations at their locations. Check it out here: http://practicegreenhealth.org/pubs/sharing/BHSF_EV_Charging_Sharing_Call_112211_final.pdf

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

@DJ: you might want to contact Chad at Plug In America (He's @ChadS on these forums); they have a lot of experience in this area.

Here's a wish-list of actions the town could take:
  • Prohibit parking of non-plug-in vehicles in public EVSE charging locations, subject to financial penalties equal to those for parking in handicap-designated spots.
  • Require HOAs, condo associations, and rental apartment owners to allow installation of EVSEs and PV panels subject only to commercially reasonable restrictions.
  • Provide a modest property tax abatement for commercial properties that offer round-the-clock public EV charging.
  • Install EVSEs in selected town-controlled locations (e.g. central business district, town parks)

The benefits to the town include:
  • EVs create less pollution -- both air and noise -- making the town quieter and cleaner.
  • Encouraging EV owners -- who tend to be reasonably affluent -- to live and shop in the town
  • Making a strong statement of environmental stewardship by the town, especially if done in conjunction with other steps towards sustainability, e.g. dedicated bike lanes and zoning laws to encourage high-density housing.

Arnold, I sent you a private message since I don't think it's prudent to share the municipality publicly yet.

Robert.Boston, thanks for your post. I'll definitely contact Chad. The SE Florida Clean Cities Coalition has done some great planning work on policy related items but I'd love to help the local govt install actual public EVSE locations.

Awesome start guys!

Arguably the Model S is bringing the 5th wave of new EV owners to argue for public infrastructure and legislation. Many brilliant people have done the groundwork here.

PIAs early work documented in Who killed the Electric Car has gone beyond the movie and are the ones who have spearheaded the efforts for your and Tesla's tax rebates and many EV laws and pro EV regulations on the books.

This group has a lot of good info for local electric road warriors too.
http://projectgetready.com/

Hi DJ,

Thanks for getting involved. There are some really great suggestions in this thread already. Plug In America helped Project Get Ready in their early days; their mission is to do exactly what you're doing, so they're a great resource.

Plug In America lead the creation of the nation's first Model Ordinance, which is designed to allow municipalities to easily adopt simple EV-friendly ordinances. It was written for WA, but has been used across the country. That document is HERE.

We also created an EVSE installation primer that is meant to address the concerns of drivers and site hosts. It guides site hosts through the process, helping them to pick solutions that make sense for their situation. It was written for HI, but almost all of it applies anywhere. That guide is HERE.

Here's what I would use for a prioritized list at the city level:

1. The most important EVSE to any buyer, by far, is the one at home. For homeowners, reduce the cost and time to get one installed - streamline permits, pre-approve electricians for install, etc. For apartment and condo dwellers, require electrical access in parking areas for new construction (Vancouver BC tried this - developers complained at first, but quickly realized it's a money maker for them; units with it sell first and for more) and don't let HOAs or apartment managers unreasonably keep owners from installing an EVSE at their own expense.

2. The second most important EVSE is the one at work - aside from home, the place that owners go most often and spend the most time at. Support policies that encourage charging at work. Note that 110V outlets are often enough. Join in on the DOE Workplace Charging Challenge HERE. If they have an alternative transportation program with local employers, consider adding PEVs. They don't reduce congestion, but they do reduce local pollution and improve the local economy.

3. Public infrastructure is far less important to adoption than the two above. But it still is important as it makes plug-in viability more visible, and helps existing owners drive electric more often rather than having to revert to gas. There are many approaches to this, but I think a key point for the municipality is that an unusable EVSE is worse than no EVSE at all - with no EVSE an EV owner may take a different car, but with an unusable EVSE they may get stranded. Select reliable vendors, make sure sites get maintained, have a phone number at the site, and make sure the signs are clear that the site is for charging only (fines and towing info work best) and enforce them. Also they should note that most users will not be from their municipality - most people living that close will just charge at home. The EVSEs should be sited to help out-of-city visitors spend more money in the city.

4. Local incentives really do have an effect on local sales rates. Can the city offer free parking, or HOV access, or something like that? There is sometimes backlash to these programs, and even if not they don't make sense in all areas. But if a municipality wants less local pollution and resident fuel dollars to stay local, this can help. Many such incentives do not cost anything to provide; if there is a cost, check with the local utility to see if they would be willing to cover it.

I'm putting out a call for a little bit of help. I'm a Model S owner with a healthy obsession towards EV policy and reading these forums. I have a meeting with the Mayor and City Manager of a nearby suburb in order to assist them in developing plans for an installation of charging stations.
Three quick things to think about regarding public charging stations:
(1) People want charging stations which are next to "something to do" (restaurants, parks, etc.) It attracts well-headed environmentally-conscious tourist business. Don't install them in some terrible location.
(2) Don't waste your time on low-wattage chargers. If you're installing public charging stations, the *least* you can do is to supply as much as a NEMA 14-50, and you should supply something higher. Sun Country Highway should be the model here, not any of the US companies.
(3) The pay-per-charge systems are needlessly complicated for the small amount you can charge; if you want to recover costs, it's best to place the charging station in a paid parking space or have a business install it but only "for our customers", rather than attempting to bill individually.

Agreed with everything everyone else said; especially the fact that home and work outlets are most crucial. At a minimum the government needs to prevent HOAs/condos/etc. from creating unnecessary red tape to prevent installation, though things like Vancouver's law are even better.

Last edited:
Neroden, Sun Country Highway looks like it is the exact same equipment as ClipperCreek. Same model numbers and literature. A little googling shows that they are the master distributor for Canada of ClipperCreek HW.

FYI, ClipperCreek CS series seems perfect for the public charging station that I'm going to propose installing near the municipality's "something to do."

Just wanted to say thank you again to ChadS and the various posters to this thread and on this forum. I gave the presentation today to the Mayor and City Manager of a suburb in Miami, FL. It went very well and they were extremely interested in furthering widespread adoption of EVs. I was asked to give the same presentation to their City Council in the next month or so. Afterwards, I gave them both a test drive in our Model S.

If anyone would like to use the presentation I created for similar pitches to local government, please private message me. Since I'm not sure it is beneficial to publicize the suburb just yet, I won't be posting it here.

Also, the Southeast Florida Clean Cities Coalition just finished an excellent guide for getting Southeast Florida EV ready. If anyone finds it useful, please share!

Getting Southeast Florida EV Ready

Miami-Dade County League of Cities

I'm putting out a call for a little bit of help. I'm a Model S owner with a healthy obsession towards EV policy and reading these forums. I have a meeting with the Mayor and City Manager of a nearby suburb in order to assist them in developing plans for an installation of charging stations. We plan on also discussing EV friendly policy for the municipality. I plan on doing a lot of education but I was wondering if anyone has any advice or has even done something similar for their local governments. Basically, I want to go in there and demonstrate how the barriers to entry for the installation/support of charging stations (cost, technology, EV ownership base) are becoming less obstructive. I'd also like to have some examples of EV friendly policies that go towards the city's stated mission of sustainability.

I used this post as a start to compiling my pitch: Help me build a serious charging network from Los Angeles to Phoenix!

I also stumbled onto a large hospital's Executive Presentation on their foray into installing charging stations at their locations. Check it out here: http://practicegreenhealth.org/pubs/sharing/BHSF_EV_Charging_Sharing_Call_112211_final.pdf

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

DJ-
Congratulations on the success of your initial efforts! If you are interested in expanding your efforts, you might consider approaching the Miami-Dade County League of Cities. http://mdclc.org/; email: [email protected]. The League has an active, Energy, Environment and Natural Resource Committee. The League interfaces with Miami-Dade County and other municipalities in the region. These entities are engaged with EVs and a variety of green efforts to some extent. Many municipalities, including Pinecrest and South Miami, are particularly engaged.
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.