Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle issues! Self-fix by fuse pull/re-insertion!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model S Performance for approx. 2 weeks now and it is a fantastic car, except for 2 issues now with door handles not working properly. I had the drivers rear-side door handle stuck out and no ability to open the door externally occur once and just yesterday the driver's door handle stuck out the same way and no ability to open the door using the external handle. In both instances, I was able to open fuse box#2, under the plastic panel in the frunk and pull fuse# 40 (rear doors), and 41, 32 for side doors and replace them and my door handles started working normally again. It appears that there is a problem with road vibration or some other force working the fuses up and out of their connection after driving for awhile. I noticed a few other fuses slightly loose as well and re-seated them, and i have had no other problems in the car as of this writing. I have approx. 1,000 miles on the car as it was driven from Fremont to Las Vegas after factory delivery pickup. I think there needs to be a permanent fix for this fuse issue and I have though about a piece of foam (medium density) placed inside the top fuse box cover to give some pressure downward on the fuses to prevent them from working up and out. Has anyone else had this problem and was your fix for it the same as mine? Luckily this was a quick fix, but we really don't want to have to keep working on our $100,000 cars for a problem that keeps recurring.

Yes, I noticed many of my fuses were not seated fully either when I had to reset the passenger door handle by removing the fuse that controls it's circuit. I don't think the loose fuses are because of road vibrations or some other force. I think most likely they were not seated properly at the factory. Easy enough to check to see if they work loose again after 1000 miles if you're so inclined.

I've had it happen twice now in 2 weeks and the fuses were seated firmly after the first time and the second time they were worked up and out slightly again. I have never had this happen in any other car I have had and I've had a lot of cars. Kind of makes me think it might happen again.

Had this happen to one of my doors. The immediate fix was to reboot the main screen. The long-term fix was to make a service appointment and have the door handle replaced. Haven't had a problem since.

I had the driver door handle freeze up twice in one hour, pulled the fuses both times to fix. It happened again 5 days later, pulled the fuses again and its been good for another 5 days so far. They were seated very firm in the fuse block, not loose at all. I now carry a pair of needle nose pliers in the glove box.

It's happened to me twice--once Monday evening, once this morning. Just the driver's (left) door. The handle presents, but pulling it does nothing. When it's in this state, it looks a little more recessed when extended than the other doors. Reboots have no effect. I had to pull fuse 41 each time to get it working again.

I realized both times it happened within 24 hours of me demoing rebooting everything while driving to friends :biggrin:

Not sure if it's related, but I'm going to try rebooting everything later in the week and see if the door handle issue returns.

Not sure if it's related, but I'm going to try rebooting everything later in the week and see if the door handle issue returns.

Nope. Happened again. It's as if it tries to go all the way out, doesn't make it, and then the firmware crashes. Talked to a service tech on the phone. Had me reset everything, lock/unlock the car, then he did it remotely. None of it worked. So I popped the fuse to fix it temporarily. I've got to schedule an appointment with the service center in the morning now.

My drivers side rear door handle intermittently remains closed while the other three slide out to open the doors. It's the intermittent part that bothers me. Do you think that this may be a loose fuse (I'll check it after reading this in the thread) or should I try just re-booting?

My drivers side rear door handle intermittently remains closed while the other three slide out to open the doors. It's the intermittent part that bothers me. Do you think that this may be a loose fuse (I'll check it after reading this in the thread) or should I try just re-booting?

All four door handles are on the same module and the same fuse. Talk to your nearest Service Center if you have a problem with one handle only, it's not the fuse or rebooting.

All four door handles are on the same module and the same fuse. Talk to your nearest Service Center if you have a problem with one handle only, it's not the fuse or rebooting.

Maybe there is a master module on its own fuse and slave modules on different fuses. I say this because I had the rear passenger door handle not retracting after having my windows tinted. The fuse diagram lists two fuses (31 & 42) one for the right side door controls and the other for the left side door controls. I pulled the affected side fuse and after reinserting the door handle retracted. Based on this experience, I think there are at least two modules (left & right side) controlling the door handles. Could there be a third "master module" that controls the syncing of all 4 door handles.

There's bits of my story in the v4.3 and v4.4 Firmware threads - but believe me, there is one module (the security module) that controls the door handle functions. I'll take your word for it on the fuses but that still means that there shouldn't be a module/fuse problem if only a single door handle is acting up. I'd still advise the OP to talk to his nearest SC.

After 3 months of flawless ownership my rear passenger door handle stopped working. It presents and retracts properly, but pulling it does nothing. I noticed the accent lights also don't work.

Two days later, my drivers door handle is doing the same thing. I called my service center (which got transferred to HQ who took a message) and subsequently got an email saying they'd order a new door handle and let me know when it comes in.

So far I've rebooted both screens, but that did nothing. I will go look at the fuse box and see what happens.

After 3 months of flawless ownership my rear passenger door handle stopped working. It presents and retracts properly, but pulling it does nothing. I noticed the accent lights also don't work..

Exact same description as what happened to my car. The service center did try to pull fuse 40 (not sure of the number) explaining it was standard procedure with inoperative handles. Didn't fix the problem so they ordered a new one. While I waited for the part to arrive the bad handle did come back to life for a day but then it died once again. So far so good on the replacement unit.

It will be interesting to see if after the repair, you get a mix of old and new style handles or not.

I reseated fuses 40, 41, and 32 (they were not loose) and my rear right door handle started working!

Unfortunately my driver door handle (the important one) still does not work. It would seem that I am looking for an equivalent to fuse 40 "Rear Door Handles" for the front, but I can't find one. Any ideas?

I reseated fuses 40, 41, and 32 (they were not loose) and my rear right door handle started working!

Unfortunately my driver door handle (the important one) still does not work. It would seem that I am looking for an equivalent to fuse 40 "Rear Door Handles" for the front, but I can't find one. Any ideas?

If I read the original post correctly it's "41, 32 for side doors". Since you are doing this yourself I should mention that the service tech did wait for 5 minutes after pulling the fuse and said that it takes some time to properly reset. No idea why or what that means but I thought I should pass along the information.

If I read the original post correctly it's "41, 32 for side doors". Since you are doing this yourself I should mention that the service tech did wait for 5 minutes after pulling the fuse and said that it takes some time to properly reset. No idea why or what that means but I thought I should pass along the information.

Because there might be capacitors and such in the circuit and the ECUs can hold a charge for a bit, waiting five minutes allows everything in that circuit to completely power down. It's the same idea as waiting until the fan totally stops when powering off and on a computer.