Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233
Results 321 to 329 of 329

Thread: Japan

  1. #321
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    71
    Hey Gents,

    I was just as upset as the rest of you about not having certain features day one on my Model S i.e. navagiation, homelink, individual TPMS etc... However, I took a stepped back and thought, we drive the most advance car on the planet! Most of these "features" are just OTA updates that very few other cars are capable of doing. We dont need to buy a separate navigation system. We just have to wait a little longer than we may like but, at the end of the day it is coming. If we reallly need a navigation system, we all have a workaround, Smartphones. WOW....Just as I was writting this reply I came across a great reminder on why I bought this car.... http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...7-Firmware-6-1 and Im in love all over again!! Have a great Tesla day!!

  2. #322
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    751
    Wow, firmware 6.1! Are you on 6.0 already? I envy you - I'm still 5.12 (got only one update in four months).

  3. #323
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    71
    Hi Hiroshi!

    Genki?

    Yes, i was on v6.0 from delivery and recieved another update on Thursday, mostly bug fixes it seems. Currently on 6.xxxx.81 now. Do you ever connect your car to WiFi?
    Also, just noticed there is a new update for the Smart Phone app for both Android and iphone today.

  4. #324
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    751
    Hi, Sean, Yes I'm doing fine! I have no coverage of 3G/WiFi at both home and work, so no I don't connect to WiFi. My firmware is 5.12(101.6.7), up from 5.12(101.6.6). I've checked my Play Store, but all I found was November release.

  5. #325
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by hiroshiy View Post
    Hi, Sean, Yes I'm doing fine! I have no coverage of 3G/WiFi at both home and work, so no I don't connect to WiFi. My firmware is 5.12(101.6.7), up from 5.12(101.6.6). I've checked my Play Store, but all I found was November release.
    Oh i see, i've read that connecting via wifi gives you priority for firmware updates. Per the updated app, i tend to use 1mobileMarket for apps filtered on Japan Google Play.

  6. #326
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    751
    I guess so. I think I need to go to the service center to update my firmware.
    Oh and today I was able to download updated app for Android. Thanks for the heads up!

  7. #327
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by susteki View Post
    Hey Gents,

    I was just as upset as the rest of you about not having certain features day one on my Model S i.e. navagiation, homelink, individual TPMS etc... However, I took a stepped back and thought, we drive the most advance car on the planet! Most of these "features" are just OTA updates that very few other cars are capable of doing. We dont need to buy a separate navigation system. We just have to wait a little longer than we may like but, at the end of the day it is coming. If we reallly need a navigation system, we all have a workaround, Smartphones. WOW....Just as I was writting this reply I came across a great reminder on why I bought this car.... http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...7-Firmware-6-1 and Im in love all over again!! Have a great Tesla day!!
    In general I do agree with you susteki, the Model S is amazing and it can be acceptable to have a few trade-offs or missing features.

    The reason missing nav is relatively important to me is for a few reasons:

    1. Safety issue of using iPhone or similar instead of higher up screen. This is because I need to look down more often to see where the road is going, etc. Maybe I could fix with some kind of mouting solution hold the phone up, but I can't see an easy way to do this with the alcantara dash, and didn't expect the problem to last this long either (but we now know it will be maybe 6 months or more still, so I will try to investigate this).

    2. Probably sounds strange, but lack of proper nav with lane guidance has led to a few safety issues + extra ETC tolls for me, due to not knowing roads around Tokyo and Chiba and having trouble to read kanji signs completely or accurately. So most times I drive that way (e.g. to Narita) I have found myself on the wrong lane or road and end up paying tolls around ¥1,500 each time, or have to make sudden lane changes. Maybe this is a gaijin problem but it does make the driving more stressful and more expensive than it should be each time I go that way. And I never have these issues driving older Japanese cars like our 2007 Prius due to its good lane guidance that just works.

    3. iPhone and other things I tried so far are losing GPS signal sometimes and not knowing which road I am on. This only normally happens when in areas with multiple layers of roads and highway convergence, or between some highrise areas in Tokyo... But these are exactly the moments when I really need it to work the most. (If I am driving on open highways with exits every 10 km or so that are well-signed, or just around my home area I know well, then I don't rely on nav so much.)

    4. It looks bad to show others, if they are driving with me, that despite this huge screen and Tesla having such advanced tech that they can't get navigation working. I think this is especially a problem in Japan, where most cars in Japan have had nav for 10 years or more (even in much more simple and inexpensive cars). I feel something strange like I fell in love with a magical princess who is almost perfect but has no eyes... and friends and business colleagues see these "missing eyes" of the princess (the nav) and laugh or think "how stupid". It's a shame to have such an obvious deficiency in an otherwise great car.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by hiroshiy View Post
    Hi, Sean, Yes I'm doing fine! I have no coverage of 3G/WiFi at both home and work, so no I don't connect to WiFi. My firmware is 5.12(101.6.7), up from 5.12(101.6.6). I've checked my Play Store, but all I found was November release.
    My Model S updated overnight to v6.0 quite soon after delivery so like susteki said I think it may be that Model S prefers (or maybe insists?) to do firmware update over wifi.

    Hiroshiy, if you are ever passing by Odawara on your travels south, you are welcome to do the update at my place over wifi.

  8. #328
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by justinsullivan View Post
    In general I do agree with you susteki, the Model S is amazing and it can be acceptable to have a few trade-offs or missing features.

    The reason missing nav is relatively important to me is for a few reasons:

    1. Safety issue of using iPhone or similar instead of higher up screen. This is because I need to look down more often to see where the road is going, etc. Maybe I could fix with some kind of mouting solution hold the phone up, but I can't see an easy way to do this with the alcantara dash, and didn't expect the problem to last this long either (but we now know it will be maybe 6 months or more still, so I will try to investigate this).

    2. Probably sounds strange, but lack of proper nav with lane guidance has led to a few safety issues + extra ETC tolls for me, due to not knowing roads around Tokyo and Chiba and having trouble to read kanji signs completely or accurately. So most times I drive that way (e.g. to Narita) I have found myself on the wrong lane or road and end up paying tolls around ¥1,500 each time, or have to make sudden lane changes. Maybe this is a gaijin problem but it does make the driving more stressful and more expensive than it should be each time I go that way. And I never have these issues driving older Japanese cars like our 2007 Prius due to its good lane guidance that just works.

    3. iPhone and other things I tried so far are losing GPS signal sometimes and not knowing which road I am on. This only normally happens when in areas with multiple layers of roads and highway convergence, or between some highrise areas in Tokyo... But these are exactly the moments when I really need it to work the most. (If I am driving on open highways with exits every 10 km or so that are well-signed, or just around my home area I know well, then I don't rely on nav so much.)

    4. It looks bad to show others, if they are driving with me, that despite this huge screen and Tesla having such advanced tech that they can't get navigation working. I think this is especially a problem in Japan, where most cars in Japan have had nav for 10 years or more (even in much more simple and inexpensive cars). I feel something strange like I fell in love with a magical princess who is almost perfect but has no eyes... and friends and business colleagues see these "missing eyes" of the princess (the nav) and laugh or think "how stupid". It's a shame to have such an obvious deficiency in an otherwise great car.

    - - - Updated - - -



    My Model S updated overnight to v6.0 quite soon after delivery so like susteki said I think it may be that Model S prefers (or maybe insists?) to do firmware update over wifi.

    Hiroshiy, if you are ever passing by Odawara on your travels south, you are welcome to do the update at my place over wifi.
    Thanks for the offer, Justin! I can make my Android phone as WiFi router and I successfully connected my Model S but, after two hours nothing happened Maybe I need to ask the SC to update.

  9. #329
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by justinsullivan View Post
    In general I do agree with you susteki, the Model S is amazing and it can be acceptable to have a few trade-offs or missing features.

    The reason missing nav is relatively important to me is for a few reasons:

    1. Safety issue of using iPhone or similar instead of higher up screen. This is because I need to look down more often to see where the road is going, etc. Maybe I could fix with some kind of mouting solution hold the phone up, but I can't see an easy way to do this with the alcantara dash, and didn't expect the problem to last this long either (but we now know it will be maybe 6 months or more still, so I will try to investigate this).

    2. Probably sounds strange, but lack of proper nav with lane guidance has led to a few safety issues + extra ETC tolls for me, due to not knowing roads around Tokyo and Chiba and having trouble to read kanji signs completely or accurately. So most times I drive that way (e.g. to Narita) I have found myself on the wrong lane or road and end up paying tolls around ¥1,500 each time, or have to make sudden lane changes. Maybe this is a gaijin problem but it does make the driving more stressful and more expensive than it should be each time I go that way. And I never have these issues driving older Japanese cars like our 2007 Prius due to its good lane guidance that just works.

    3. iPhone and other things I tried so far are losing GPS signal sometimes and not knowing which road I am on. This only normally happens when in areas with multiple layers of roads and highway convergence, or between some highrise areas in Tokyo... But these are exactly the moments when I really need it to work the most. (If I am driving on open highways with exits every 10 km or so that are well-signed, or just around my home area I know well, then I don't rely on nav so much.)

    4. It looks bad to show others, if they are driving with me, that despite this huge screen and Tesla having such advanced tech that they can't get navigation working. I think this is especially a problem in Japan, where most cars in Japan have had nav for 10 years or more (even in much more simple and inexpensive cars). I feel something strange like I fell in love with a magical princess who is almost perfect but has no eyes... and friends and business colleagues see these "missing eyes" of the princess (the nav) and laugh or think "how stupid". It's a shame to have such an obvious deficiency in an otherwise great car.

    - - - Updated - - -



    My Model S updated overnight to v6.0 quite soon after delivery so like susteki said I think it may be that Model S prefers (or maybe insists?) to do firmware update over wifi.

    Hiroshiy, if you are ever passing by Odawara on your travels south, you are welcome to do the update at my place over wifi.
    Justin, i do agree with your points also. 9 + months to wait for an Nav update is ridiculous! However, with Google maps being the baseline I'm expecting big things (fingers crossed) with the summer release.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Japan earthquake...Hey Benji, you ok?
    By DaveD in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 2011-08-27, 06:04 AM
  2. Model S in Japan -- Now taking reservations
    By benji4 in forum Model S
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011-05-09, 05:23 PM
  3. EV Charging - Japan Style
    By AndrewBissell in forum News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2011-03-11, 06:59 AM
  4. Tesla coming to Japan
    By meloccom in forum Tesla Motors
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2010-04-23, 01:26 AM
  5. Japan Auto show
    By vfx in forum Electric Vehicles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-11-03, 09:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •