Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Japan

Hi, @DITB, yes CHAdeMO adapter comes with every Model S in Japan. I asked for a spare, but they said it's out of stock. Here we have about 3000 CHAdeMO stations that covers most highways and Nissan / Mitsubishi dealers so it is a must to travel in Japan. Especially our outlets are limited to 3kW so CHAdeMO is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hiroshiy View Post
    Hi, @DITB, yes CHAdeMO adapter comes with every Model S in Japan. I asked for a spare, but they said it's out of stock. Here we have about 3000 CHAdeMO stations that covers most highways and Nissan / Mitsubishi dealers so it is a must to travel in Japan. Especially our outlets are limited to 3kW so CHAdeMO is necessary.
    No matter how many ChaDeMo in Hong Kong, I am going to get one of these.

The advantage with ChaDeMo is that parking lot owners can install it so that most EVs can use it, not just Tesla cars. How fast charge do you get on a good day, with ChaDeMo?
    Click here -> HK: Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery - Hong Kong RH Drive | Delivery ~Sep 23rd, 2014 | 85 | Silver Metallic
    Feb - Aug 14, "Order Confirmed - We have begun sourcing parts for your Model S" - Aug 9th 14 - In Production - The Tesla Factory is building your Model S.

CHAdeMO is up to 500V 125A so when the battery is empty it gives 40kW to 45kW, which equates to 200km/h to 225km/h. After battery voltage rises above 400V, it gives 50kW or 250km/h. Haven't tried yet, but it will recharge Model S from empty to full in 1.5 to 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by hiroshiy View Post
    CHAdeMO is up to 500V 125A so when the battery is empty it gives 40kW to 45kW, which equates to 200km/h to 225km/h. After battery voltage rises above 400V, it gives 50kW or 250km/h. Haven't tried yet, but it will recharge Model S from empty to full in 1.5 to 2 hours.
    This is perfectly fine! I wouldn't normally arrive empty at a shopping mall, and expect to depart full. Today, I used a 13A charger, effectively giving me 10A, 2kW which was about 9 km/h charging. After around 2 hours, I got just over 4 kWh charged, but I started with 310 km ideal range anyway. Had it been ChaDeMo, and I was empty, it would have been enough time to fully charge.
    Click here -> HK: Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery - Hong Kong RH Drive | Delivery ~Sep 23rd, 2014 | 85 | Silver Metallic
    Feb - Aug 14, "Order Confirmed - We have begun sourcing parts for your Model S" - Aug 9th 14 - In Production - The Tesla Factory is building your Model S.

Despite reported problems with ChaDeMo chargers - how is it working for you, in Japan?

The price in the USA has just been dropped to 450 USD, except it still says "Coming soon" - as it has been for what, a year now?

If you can buy this adapter in Japan, I wonder if one could take it to HK and use it on a HK Model S (It would be very cool to have the first adapter, although there aren't many ChaDeMos here)

Quote Originally Posted by DITB View Post
    If you can buy this adapter in Japan, I wonder if one could take it to HK and use it on a HK Model S (It would be very cool to have the first adapter, although there aren't many ChaDeMos here)
    Japanese cars have US style charge ports. Not gonna work.
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    Japanese cars have US style charge ports. Not gonna work.
    Oh thanks, Mark.

Didn't know you were "here in Japan" at the moment

In any case, I looked it up, and I think you can count on two hands, the total number of ChaDeMo charger locations in HK (well, maybe two hands and two feet)

Quote Originally Posted by DITB View Post
    Despite reported problems with ChaDeMo chargers - how is it working for you, in Japan?

The price in the USA has just been dropped to 450 USD, except it still says "Coming soon" - as it has been for what, a year now?

Other than the smoke issue with one Nissan charger on a highway rest area, all CHAdeMOs work fine.
    BTW I heard there were three Leafs waiting to charge at one of the highway rest area charger today. Lack of EV experience caused this ridiculous "one charger at one location" setup.

Re adapters for purchase, Tesla hasn't said they are available yet. I've got J1772 adapter though (yet no UMC).

Tesla new car registrations was 4 in August and 38 in September.
    http://www.jaia-jp.org/wp-content/up...NewCarNews.pdf

Thread Information