Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Japan

Quote Originally Posted by hiroshiy View Post
    Hi @miimura:

There are no high current devices allowed in Japan, unfortunately. The law allows up to 20A for connectors. The onlt devices that exceed 20A in household would be EV and waterheaters, which need to be hard wired if over 20A.

For 100V we use the same plug as the US. For 200V Panasonic makes the plug and it's de facto standard but it's different from any NEMA plugs.

So in Japan with plugs up to 4kW (200V x 20A). It seems Tesla is going to make HPWC standard for all cars.

We have a law (PSE) that doesn't allow imported AC devices to connect to grid. All devices are required to pass PSE (even used) before sold. Tesla will do that stjpid certification for us, one by one.
    Well, at least it's nice to see that the CHAdeMO adapter will be included in the base price of the Model S in Japan. They also show the USA type Mobile Connector on the Japan pages (pictured with a NEMA 14-50 adapter attached) but they will have to provide new adapters for 200V 20A Japanese sockets.

PSE sounds tiresome. Maybe they should just get a Japanese contract manufacturer to produce the Mobile Connector locally to satisfy JDM demand.

It is rather difficult to think that Japanese people share plugs at homes, so it is a good idea for Tesla to focus on the most efficient plug for home (HPWC) and the common plugs for public charging (CHAdeMO and J1772, Supercharger in the future). I heard PSE is not that difficult to pass, so I guess for Tesla just importing HPWC, UMC and J1772 adapter to Japan is the easiest and the most scalable solution.

Tesla Motors will start delivering the Tesla Model S in Beijing in about two weeks time (possibly April 22nd, 2014).

Does anybody know when Tesla Motors will start delivering the RHD Tesla Model S in Japan?

As far as I've heard from Tesla, we will see first batch of deliveries in June, but how many cars in June was not committed yet. Chinese seem to get higher priority among those Asian regions for apparent reasons.

I have no specific info about mainland China delivery, but HK will have its own MPWC and no UMC for now, Japan will have American HPWC and CHAdeMO adapter with all cars and UMC pending.

Because Mainland China is LHD.

Yes, HK's first delivery will also be June, or so I've heard.

Thread Information