Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a road bike (with wheels removed) fit in the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a way to carry 2 adult road bikes in a Model S with a solid roof. Putting them in the back with the seats down
was a pain. Can I find a roof rack or do I need a hitch for the back. Can someone recommend either with specific models. Thanks

you probably cannot get the frame into the frunk, especially not in the D cars.
FWIW: I can get 2 bikes (front wheels removed) plus enough luggage for a week's worth of travel for two people into the trunk/frunk and rear floor area.
I've also installed the ecotech hitch and can carry the bicycles externally however there is a bit of a hit on range when transporting the bikes this way.

IMG_4588.JPG
I am looking for a way to carry 2 adult road bikes in a Model S with a solid roof. Putting them in the back with the seats down
was a pain. Can I find a roof rack or do I need a hitch for the back. Can someone recommend either with specific models. Thanks

I have used both a roof rack and a hitch to carry bikes.

For the roof rack, you will need to buy the Whisper system (about $500) to attach rails to the roof and then a separate carrier for the bikes to mount to the bar (many different brands/styles available).

For the hitch, the hidden hitch system needs to be installed. It is a tricky DIY install (requires removal of the rear bumper cover and cutting a hole in the bottom surface of the cover to access the hitch assembly) or you can have a body shop do it for a few hundred dollars labor on top of the hitch cost. There's even a video on youtube that shows a model S owner installing it so you can get an idea of the difficulty level. Once installed, it works very well, quick to attach the hitch receiver and rack, probably faster than installing and uninstalling the roof rails and rack system if it is something you will only use occasionally. I have a rear hitch Carrier that holds 5 bikes, again there are many different styles available. Also, note the challenge of supercharging with bikes on the back, probably would be easier with only 2 bikes but still can be a challenge.

Both options cause significant range penalty once you get to speeds above 45mph and especially at very high speeds. Search on the forums, there are lots of discussions about these on other threads too.