Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X optional with non Falcon-Wing-Doors

Should Tesla make "normal" doors optional on the Model X

• Yes

Votes: 98 37.4%
  • No

Votes: 164 62.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TD1

Nov 28, 2012
D
Since the presentation of the Falcon-Wing-Doors I was very sceptical how the general public will view such an big change to the usual car design.
I always picture the scene in my Head where the Mom drops of her child at the school and instead of quick jump out the kid has to deal with the slow moving falcon wing doors.

Im a Tesla shareholder, so I believe in this company I dont have an EV yet and I would want to have an SUV like EV like the Model X, still Im not sure If I will like the FalconWings, I would be much more inclined to buy a Model X if I would have the option to choose normal doors.
So the fact that Im a big believer of EVs and Tesla and Im looking for an SUV type of vehicle and still not confident to singup for the Model X really makes me think how many other potential buyers back of the Model X for the FalconWings.

I think Tesla should make normal doors optional.

Depends on the cost and complications. Personally, I'm waiting to see a more refined, closer-to-production X before really judging. Keep in mind, the current doors DO allow for better ingress and egress, so they do serve a real purpose beyond the "OH SNAP" factor.

Nooooo .... when I open any of those vehicles from the back, it opens the same as the Model X from the side (well, without the articulation). That was one of those 'aha' moments one day when I was sitting outside in the rain, under the shelter of the Prius door.

My first reaction when I saw the door was not positive. And then I realized it was only because I wasn't used to seeing it on the SIDE of a vehicle. It's not new.

I think there needs to be more options for the doors as well. Some people don't like the gull-wing doors, its just a taste thing like color. I know it adds to being able to go in and out but in the end some people are turned off by it. If that is the only thing stopping them from getting the car, its worth the investment to make a second option.

It's like the rearview cameras without mirrors! I don't like that at all, even though I don't think they got it to legally pass. I prefer mirrors on the side. Love the gull-wing doors, but my wife hates them and she is very big into owning SUV's.

Moral of the story, she would probably want a Model X if it had a "normal" door option.

Since the presentation of the Falcon-Wing-Doors I was very sceptical how the general public will view such an big change to the usual car design.
I always picture the scene in my Head where the Mom drops of her child at the school and instead of quick jump out the kid has to deal with the slow moving falcon wing doors.

Im a Tesla shareholder, so I believe in this company I dont have an EV yet and I would want to have an SUV like EV like the Model X, still Im not sure If I will like the FalconWings, I would be much more inclined to buy a Model X if I would have the option to choose normal doors.
So the fact that Im a big believer of EVs and Tesla and Im looking for an SUV type of vehicle and still not confident to singup for the Model X really makes me think how many other potential buyers back of the Model X for the FalconWings.

I think Tesla should make normal doors optional.

Have you considered the speed advantage of powered articulated, falcon-wing?

If the door goes up rather than out you can always, immediately open the door. You don't have to be concerned about:
- Cars parked or pulling in next to you.
- Passing cars
- Sidewalk height.
- Closing the door
- Bumping your head on the roof as you get in or out

Like driving PEVs I really think people will need to experience it to understand the benefits. Stick multiple vehicles in a city parking lot and then have people get in an out see how quick it is in reality.

Last edited:
Nooooo .... when I open any of those vehicles from the back, it opens the same as the Model X from the side (well, without the articulation). That was one of those 'aha' moments one day when I was sitting outside in the rain, under the shelter of the Prius door.

My first reaction when I saw the door was not positive. And then I realized it was only because I wasn't used to seeing it on the SIDE of a vehicle. It's not new.

The question is not if the Falcon Wing Doors are good or bad, I could imagine that the are far better the convetional doors.
The Point is, Do the Falcon Wing Doors have the potential to scare of a lot of potential buyers.
And this I think is true, The Tesla Model X is already an revolutionary innovative Car. To much innovation might scare people off.

E.g. Tesla considred this fact in their design of the Model S, The front Black Plastic Panel is only there because people are so used to that kind of Car design.
The EV1 looks still wierd to me with the even front.
ev1.jpg

And their are several more things that Tesla keept the same way as ICE cars, e.g. the "Creep" option.

The Average Customer is just to scared of to much change at one time.

Let em make what they designed. If there are issues of function or ?, I have confidence that Tesla will work them out before production. "Too different", however, is not an issue.
Imagine the big differences in the two designs -one falcon wing, one normal- from a design & production/assembly standpoint. Not saying Tesla couldn't handle it, but from a car company that currently produces exactly one model, I'd like to see one more awesome design, & cranking out thousands of them, without compromise.

The question is not if the Falcon Wing Doors are good or bad, I could imagine that the are far better the convetional doors.
The Point is, Do the Falcon Wing Doors have the potential to scare of a lot of potential buyers.
And this I think is true, The Tesla Model X is already an revolutionary innovative Car. To much innovation might scare people off.

E.g. Tesla considred this fact in their design of the Model S, The front Black Plastic Panel is only there because people are so used to that kind of Car design.
The EV1 looks still wierd to me with the even front.
View attachment 19752

And their are several more things that Tesla keept the same way as ICE cars, e.g. the "Creep" option.

The Average Customer is just to scared of to much change at one time.

I think there's a big difference between look and function. You can't simply persuade people that a different look is better. You can show people that a different functional design is better.

Since you mentioned creep, understand that while creep is natural to automatic transmissions and unnatural to manul transmissions, it is functional. Creep is useful if you have stops on upgrades as it avoids the danger of rolling back on hill starts. It's also a useful option for people who have to deal with creeping traffic since it makes driving easier. I have creeping traffic at an intersection on my commute (in my Prius) and during the creep I shift between Drive and Neutral to cut the use of the gas and brake pedals. But at others times or for others creep would just be an annoyance. Having optional creep is just better.

As per some other musing posts, I think it's much more than just aesthetics / styling. Relatively cheap to replace, easy to remove for access to the 12V, etc.

People will wait for a self powered hatch. They may not be so willing to wait for the door they use to get in an out of a car. Perhaps a non-powered mode that allows the user to open it would help. The mass would have to be balanced by a gas strut which will tend to slow things down but at least the user will be controlling it.

As for esthetics, Tesla is just going to have to make the call on educating customers that their idea is a better idea. They stayed away from esthetic design education on MS but they just may not be able to help themselves on MX.

I think the last thing Tesla should ever be doing is to listen to popular opinion when designing a car. If they did, they would have created another compact car with a mediocre range selling for under $30'000.

At the same time, have you seen the goofy design and weird shape of other EV's? They are listening to popular demand obviously solely by how the Model S is designed. In fact in many videos and articles they noted that they wanted to redesign the car, but didn't want to make it so alien that people would be turned off by it. One should be able to look at the car and say "That's a nice sedan!" and not "What is that?"

I agree, they should continue to innovate, but many people won't like the new innovations. Not all innovations are welcoming to the beholder, so there should be an option for those who wish to be more traditional. Bottom line though, its about sales to me. I feel an option to not have the doors would be fantastic. Everyone wins, its a no brainer.

I think the wing doors are much less prone to getting bumped when being opened
if your kids open the doors and get out on their own then there's a danger of them opening the door and bumping into whatever is next to you, with the falcon wing doors that danger is eliminated

There are 2different matters when we're discussing the falcon wing doors:
- The design
- The functionality

If tou like the design or not is more of a question of taste than anything else. I did not like the doors first, but have grown to get used to them, and seeing the car myself at the Geneva show, I was convinced. I've put down a reservation for a Signature X.

When it comes to the functionality of the doors, I can clearly see that they have their postive and negative aspects. Most of them discussed here and in other threads. I do however see one issue that needs a solution; the hight necessary for opening the doors are higher than quite a few parking houses. Not being able to open the doors in these parking houses, could be a dealbreaker for many, myself included. Sensors stopping the doors before they hit walls/ceiling would fix this issue, I suppose.

I think the last thing Tesla should ever be doing is to listen to popular opinion when designing a car. If they did, they would have created another compact car with a mediocre range selling for under $30'000.

I am not saying that falcon wing doors should be canceled on Model X. I am only saying that Tesla should give normal doors as a free option.
Think to a potential client in Norway where it always snows. Under heavy snow fall the potential client in Norway could be afraid not to be able to open the falcon wing doors and could prefer normal doors.
But I agree with you that Tesla cars are interesting because of their innovation with respect to traditional cars. Anyway the right balance between innovation and tradition has to be found out.

As Latins said: "In medio stat virtus"

Last edited: