Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hotels in the White Mountains offer charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every year our family heads up to North Conway for a week around the 4th of July .We usually drive a few hours each day to accommodate day trips to Santa's Village, Storyland, A Whale's Tale etc.. We would very much like to take our Model S this year and were wondering if anyone knew of a hotel up there that offers charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
As far as I can tell, no. There's an RV park in North Conway with 50A service, but you'd have to rent a spot plus your hotel room. I've written to the Omni Mount Washington Resort, which is where we like to stay in that area (actually, we prefer the Bretton Arms Inn at the property, which feels like a B&B instead of the "grand resort" up the hill. Also, you can ski directly onto the nordic trails or walk easily to the golf clubhouse.) No response, but if we collectively keep bugging them....

As far as I can tell, no. There's an RV park in North Conway with 50A service, but you'd have to rent a spot plus your hotel room. I've written to the Omni Mount Washington Resort, which is where we like to stay in that area (actually, we prefer the Bretton Arms Inn at the property, which feels like a B&B instead of the "grand resort" up the hill. Also, you can ski directly onto the nordic trails or walk easily to the golf clubhouse.) No response, but if we collectively keep bugging them....

I've spoken with and sent a bunch of links and info to Jason Doyle, the Assistant Director of Engineering at Omni Mount Washington Resort. I got a call back from him after putting a call in to the General Manager. They have previously provided guests access to a 120V outlet by the main hotel. I'm trying to get him to install valet-managed (a guy in the charger industry suggested this was the most effective approach) J-1772s at both the main hotel and the ski area. Here's my latest reply from him two weeks ago.

Peter,
I am not sure why I did not receive your messages, while you were visiting us. I apologize for not getting in touch with you. I will be working with our electricians to come with an appropriate solution soon. Thank you for all the information.
Jason

According to the Recargo map (doesn't show on Plugshare though), there is a Nissan dealer with a charger in Berlin, NH, north of North Conway. Also Mt Abram in Maine has chargers, which I pointed out to prod the Omni folks.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I called about 10 different hotels in North Conway today. The only one to even offer me a plug was the Hampton Inn and I believe that is just a regular outlet that they have in the parking lot :(. I will get my husband to start calling the campgrounds tomorrow.

PeterK thanks for letting me know about the charger in Berlin. So far that is our best option. There seem to be some hotels near it (and it is only 10 miles from the Auto Road :) ) so I will look into them tomorrow.

PeterK thanks for letting me know about the charger in Berlin. So far that is our best option. There seem to be some hotels near it (and it is only 10 miles from the Auto Road :) ) so I will look into them tomorrow.

Definitely call to confirm and please post what you find out, e.g. If they'll let you charge overnight after business hours.

It's actually in Gorham I think, and I noticed a few hotels/motels with pretty good tripadvisor reviews not far away. Mt. Madison Inn is in the center of town (2 miles from Nissan?).
Mt Madison Inn Suites (Gorham, NH) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

And there are "moose safari" bus tours that leave from the town center!
Gorham Moose Tours - Gorham, NH - YouTube

I found an inn with a RV park attached in Colebrook, NH that seems very nice. I spoke to the owner and he was very accommodating. I have reservations for the end of July to do some hiking and some Moose viewing. The Inn is the Notch View Resort. Here is the link. Notch View Resort Inn and Campground

You can actually do the opposite at Glen Ellis Family Campground. You can rent your very own trailer :) :

All trailers provide:
2 bedrooms, 1 with a queen size bed & 1 with bunks, sofa bed, bathroom w/ shower, kitchen with dishes and pots & pans, microwave, coffee maker, cd player,tv with dvd player no tv reception just use the dvd player to watch movies, two outdoor chairs, picnic table and fire pit
Bring your own paper products, linens, pillows, and towels, and DVDs

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely call to confirm and please post what you find out, e.g. If they'll let you charge overnight after business hours.

I just got off the phone with them and they said that it was fine to use the chargers including after business hours. He did not seem to have a problem with it being a vehicle that they did not sell/service.

I am so excited! So it seems that leaving messages paid off. As I was getting ready to push the button to confirm a reservation for a motel in Gorham the phone rang. I had left a message on the answering machine of one of the maintenance people at Attitash Mountain Village about our situation. Apparently my message got shuffled down to one of the people involved with the resorts green initiative. It turns out that they are already in the process of putting some chargers there as well as at their Attitash Marketplace property. He assured me that I would get a call from one of the managers within two weeks about accomodating us during our stay as well as booking said stay ;). He said that they are very excited to be the first in the region to offer this service and it sounds like they are planning to put in several chargers. When I mentioned our planned Mt. Washington trip in August he said that they were planning on being able to support that kind of group. He did not mention whether there would be an additional charge but I will let you know once I get more information from the manager.

I am so excited! So it seems that leaving messages paid off. As I was getting ready to push the button to confirm a reservation for a motel in Gorham the phone rang. I had left a message on the answering machine of one of the maintenance people at Attitash Mountain Village about our situation. Apparently my message got shuffled down to one of the people involved with the resorts green initiative. It turns out that they are already in the process of putting some chargers there as well as at their Attitash Marketplace property. He assured me that I would get a call from one of the managers within two weeks about accomodating us during our stay as well as booking said stay ;). He said that they are very excited to be the first in the region to offer this service and it sounds like they are planning to put in several chargers. When I mentioned our planned Mt. Washington trip in August he said that they were planning on being able to support that kind of group. He did not mention whether there would be an additional charge but I will let you know once I get more information from the manager.

Nice work!

Attitash Mountain Village is setting up a temporary charging port in early July. They plan to roll out the permanent charging station there as well as the Marketplace property by August. They are eager to accommodate EV owners, so keep them in mind for future vacation trips.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I reserved a space at Green Meadow Campground. Plan to drive the family to Storyland and charge the car at the same time. The guy on the phone was confused by my request but willing to rent me a space.

Green Meadow Campground
http://www.greenmeadowcampingarea.com/Directions.htm

This weekend we drove to Martha's Vineyard. Found that the only EV charging station on the island charged at 16a. (very slow) So I charged at the local campground. It worked but I have a few suggestions. 1) be ready to explain what your doing and reassure the campground that it will work, 2) make sure you check your mobile app and can get back easily, and 3) reduce the amps. The hookup was a NEMA 14-50 with a 50 amp breaker just like home. :) I plugged-in with the car pulling 40a everything looked great. I'd rented a bike to get back to the B&B about 6.5 miles away. At mile 1 I checked my phone all was good, mile 2 I checked my phone all was good and at mile 4 it had stopped charging. :cursing: Returned by taxi and found the breaker tripped from heat. Reset and started charging at 35a and hung around for half an hour. Just as I was ready to go the breaker tripped again. I reset and charged at 25a. It had a max range charge ready in the morning.

The short story is charge at the amps needed to have the car full charged about an hour before you plan to pick it up. Pulling a lot of amps could trip the breaker so pace your charge.

IMG_2639_small.jpg
IMG_2655_Small.jpg
IMG_2660_Small.jpg

Last edited:
I reserved a space at Green Meadow Campground. Plan to drive the family to Storyland and charge the car at the same time. The guy on the phone was confused by my request but willing to rent me a space.

Green Meadow Campground
http://www.greenmeadowcampingarea.com/Directions.htm

This weekend we drove to Martha's Vineyard. Found that the only EV charging station on the island charged at 16a. (very slow) So I charged at the local campground. It worked but I have a few suggestions. 1) be ready to explain what your doing and reassure the campground that it will work, 2) make sure you check your mobile app and can get back easily, and 3) reduce the amps. The hookup was a NEMA 14-50 with a 50 amp breaker just like home. :) I plugged-in with the car pulling 40a everything looked great. I'd rented a bike to get back to the B&B about 6.5 miles away. At mile 1 I checked my phone all was good, mile 2 I checked my phone all was good and at mile 4 it had stopped charging. :cursing: Returned by taxi and found the breaker tripped from heat. Reset and started charging at 35a and hung around for half an hour. Just as I was ready to go the breaker tripped again. I reset and charged at 25a. It had a max range charge ready in the morning.

The short story is charge at the amps needed to have the car full charged about an hour before you plan to pick it up. Pulling a lot of amps could trip the breaker so pace your charge.

View attachment 23490View attachment 23491View attachment 23492
Thanks for the update and info!

I e-mailed my contact there. He might have better info than what you'll get from the reservations people. :)

We made a day trip up to the Conway area a few weeks ago, partially to scout out the charging scene. We were really close to the rated range being exactly what we needed to get back home at the end of the day, so I started hunting around for a camp site to charge up for an hour or two.

tl;dr:
Eastern Slope Camping -- Avoid at all costs
Pine Knoll Camping -- Wonderful and accommodating people

The first one was a place we had previously camped, Eastern Slope Camping Ground was a shocking experience. The very nice ladies at the front desk understood what we wanted, and one had even heard about Tesla before, and they called the owner of the site to get permission. This man flat out refused to let us charge. He said that their electrical hookups weren't built for charging and that it might damage the hookups. When I told the lady who was on the phone with him that we didn't need any special equipment, just the standard 14-50 hookup that all the RVs use, and that this was a very common thing that many campgrounds all around the country would do, the man began yelling at her loudly enough that I could hear him from the other side of the desk as he told her he wasn't about to change his mind and that was that. Obviously they won't be getting any of our business for future camping, either.

We drove down the road a way and on a whim I pulled into another RV campground, Pine Knoll. Again, the lady at the front desk called the owner to make arrangements, but this gentleman was very nice and told her to send us out to a lot that was near where he was currently located. We drove out there and he came to meet us. I showed him the UMC and hooked up. He was very impressed. I asked him about the price, and he asked how much electricity I was going to use. I told him that it would be maybe 30 kW which at the most would cost 4 or 5 dollars for a residential service and I also told him that I had heard from many other owners that a lot of campsites will just charge a flat $10 charge. He said that was fine with him.

It was drizzling out, so he walked us over to where they had a big campfire going and a bunch of people were watching a Bruins game. We stayed and chatted with a bunch of people for about an hour and a half before heading back out. When we got back to the car, the owner and a couple of other guys were standing nearby talking about it and we had a few more minutes of Tesla Time then made the drive back home. It was a great ending to a nice day and a very nice counterpoint to the earlier disappointment.

I e-mailed my contact there. He might have better info than what you'll get from the reservations people. :)

We made a day trip up to the Conway area a few weeks ago, partially to scout out the charging scene. We were really close to the rated range being exactly what we needed to get back home at the end of the day, so I started hunting around for a camp site to charge up for an hour or two.

tl;dr:
Eastern Slope Camping -- Avoid at all costs
Pine Knoll Camping -- Wonderful and accommodating people

The first one was a place we had previously camped, Eastern Slope Camping Ground was a shocking experience. The very nice ladies at the front desk understood what we wanted, and one had even heard about Tesla before, and they called the owner of the site to get permission. This man flat out refused to let us charge. He said that their electrical hookups weren't built for charging and that it might damage the hookups. When I told the lady who was on the phone with him that we didn't need any special equipment, just the standard 14-50 hookup that all the RVs use, and that this was a very common thing that many campgrounds all around the country would do, the man began yelling at her loudly enough that I could hear him from the other side of the desk as he told her he wasn't about to change his mind and that was that. Obviously they won't be getting any of our business for future camping, either.

We drove down the road a way and on a whim I pulled into another RV campground, Pine Knoll. Again, the lady at the front desk called the owner to make arrangements, but this gentleman was very nice and told her to send us out to a lot that was near where he was currently located. We drove out there and he came to meet us. I showed him the UMC and hooked up. He was very impressed. I asked him about the price, and he asked how much electricity I was going to use. I told him that it would be maybe 30 kW which at the most would cost 4 or 5 dollars for a residential service and I also told him that I had heard from many other owners that a lot of campsites will just charge a flat $10 charge. He said that was fine with him.

It was drizzling out, so he walked us over to where they had a big campfire going and a bunch of people were watching a Bruins game. We stayed and chatted with a bunch of people for about an hour and a half before heading back out. When we got back to the car, the owner and a couple of other guys were standing nearby talking about it and we had a few more minutes of Tesla Time then made the drive back home. It was a great ending to a nice day and a very nice counterpoint to the earlier disappointment.
Great to know - how fast we're you able to charge?