Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Carbon House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Thought people here might be interested in this:

Zero Carbon House > Home

We have built a zero carbon house on Britain’s most northerly island of Unst, which will bring obvious benefits to the environment. Our carbon neutral home lowers the carbon footprint by producing its own energy and storing it to heat the home. We also use this energy to fuel an electric vehicle for transportation.

Definately interesting. If I at some point ended up in a house instead of a flat I would love both water-born heating system as well as a heat-pump system like they are using here. The heat-pump system is all the rage here in Norway for anyone that want to reduce their heating bills...

Cobos

Many heat pumps in Norway are of the geo thermal variety which is usually more efficient than the cheaper air-air. Most people also use a bit of electric heating if they've got a big house or have the heat pump connected to their main water tank which again heats their house. We do use radiators and heated floors with warm water in normal residential housing.... I haven't actually lived in a house with a heat pump, but everything I've read says it's a big investment, but very usefull.

Cobos

Here in the states it is a big investment that needs to be replaced every several years. I would never do it again given the chance to change. And I know there are lots of people that echo my feelings. Someplace with nice weather it works fine but if it is too cold the savings are not really worth it. Perhaps the geothermal ones are better. That would not surprise me given the source of the heat. Here all heat pumps are air to air. Seems they are making these now to be throw away items as everything else seems to be :frown: Mine seem to last 3-4 years and die .... I have tried ALL major brands with the same outcome .

Looking at Enova.no which is the website for our energy-conservation efforts as well as an overview of different technologies and subsidies from the state (the front page is in English as well, click on the UK flag). They say a air-air heat pump lasts for 10-15 years, and removes about 20-60% of the energy needed for heating and warm water.
If you want I can always try to find some of the producers we've got here in Norway, they should last a lot more than 3-4 years. After all the producers MUST supply a 5 year warranty by state-law so 3-4 years would be VERY bad choice for the producers...

Cobos

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can eek a couple more years out of the one I have now as it is 3 years old and already on its last legs but I suppose I should do more research BEFORE it dies :rolleyes: I hate the fact that I have no other alternative other than a heat pump :mad: