Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more charging at NYC dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been able to charge my roadster at the NYC dealership in the past when visiting the city (drive in from CT), but it looks like that isn't going to be available anymore. Things have soured lately between Tesla and the garage they are using. The garage has gotten increasingly unwilling to move cars to get access to the charger (on the back wall), started charging for parking a few weeks back (when previously it had been free, as you were using the space already paid for by Tesla) and finally yesterday they turned me away completely (disclosure, I've used it approx. 3 times in the last 3 months, which isn't a lot, but don't know how frequently others were also using it). I was unprepared for this, since I had called the dealership the day before to ask if it was ok, and that they tell the garage I was coming. I wasn't going to be able to get back home to CT without a full charge, and couldn't easily stay the 8+ hours I would need at a charge point charger. Luckily, Michael at the dealership let me pull in to charge on the showroom floor, and I was able to drive back on full. They were very nice and generous about it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable asking to charge in the showroom when I come to NYC every month. So it looks like charging at the dealership in NYC is pretty much done. Too bad, but really appreciated it while Tesla could offer it!

Any one else used the dealership charger in the past? Know of any other 70 amp chargers in the city? It's only a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house, but I think using a 30 amp conventional charger in NYC would just take too long to warrant the trip.

Hey Rob,

I'm sure I'm at least partially to blame for this, and I'm sorry for that. I charged up there a few weeks ago, Tesla was super nice and let me charge my S using their spot and charger in the garage on a Sunday afternoon. I came back to pick the car up and was told I had to pay garage fees by the garage. To say I was pissed that this decision was made after I had left the car in what the garage told me was a "Tesla paid" spot didn't lead to happy discussion with them. In the end I just paid the $25 fees for my few hours there, and noted that there was at minimum a disconnect between the garage and myself, and probably a disconnect between the garage and Tesla. Add to that that they sounded very upset with Tesla for the number of Dealer cars Tesla had there separate from my argument. Hopefully Tesla will be able to either clear this up with them, or work something out with another local garage. If you hear anything more, please let me/us know.

Peter

Last edited:
Hey Rob,

I'm sure I'm at least partially to blame for this, and I'm sorry for that. I charged up there a few weeks ago, Tesla was super nice and let me charge my S using their spot and charger in the garage on a Sunday afternoon. I came back to pick the car up and was told I had to pay garage fees by the garage. To say I was pissed that this decision was made after I had left the car in what the garage told me was a "Tesla paid" spot didn't lead to happy discussion with them. In the end I just paid the $25 fees for my few hours there, and noted that there was minimum a disconnect between the garage and myself, and probably a disconnect between the garage and Tesla. Add to that that they sounded very upset with Tesla for the number of Dealer cars Tesla had there separate from my argument. Hopefully Tesla will be able to either clear this up with them, or work something out with another local garage. If you hear anything more, please let me/us know.

Peter

Peter,

I don't think it was either of us overusing it, but just the reality of parking in NYC, and the fact that the Tesla dealership is asking for a lot of in/out privileges from a regular monthly spot. Actually, this last time I was there, a Tesla rep (Ken) was waiting to get their model S out to give a test drive, and was getting grief for that from the parking attendant as well. I think what you and I experienced was spill-over from the overall relationship between the dealership and the garage. If I were Tesla, I would replace the doors on the showroom (to make them large enough to let in a model S) and charge my S sedans in there, and save the parking fees and grief from the garage. The cost of changing the doors would be well worth it, and now that service isn't there, they definitely have the space.

Rob

There is also a Tesla store in the Westchester Mall in White Plains which allows charging as well.

Do they now? I went to the opening and there weren't any chargers there, but that was a while ago. I'm planning a trip to the Boston area and a stop in the NYC area would be good for "refueling" before the CT SC

Rob -
Could you stop at the Milford CT Supercharger on the way in to NYC and again on the way back for ~30 min each way instead? Might be a viable option if this situation doesn't improve...

I think the roadster isn't able to use the supercharger unfortunately. If it can, please let me know! There is a 70 amp charger in New Haven that might fit the bill.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a Tesla store in the Westchester Mall in White Plains which allows charging as well.

This would be useful! Has anyone used it, had a good experience?

Rob

I think the roadster isn't able to use the supercharger unfortunately. If it can, please let me know! There is a 70 amp charger in New Haven that might fit the bill.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

This would be useful! Has anyone used it, had a good experience?

Rob

Hey Guys

The white plains mall (The Westchester) has a big garage and Tesla has a nice sized section with 2 roadster hpc's and a roadster to S adapter as well. It can get crowded there now with all the Model S deliveries, but if you called in advance I'm sure they would be more than accommodating.

I live in Yonkers, right by I87, Bronx river parkway and Hutchinson parkway and have an outdoor 14-50 outlet you can use if you give me advance notice. My home is also a 12 minute walk to a metro north station and only 30 minutes by train to grand central...

Aaron

Im a NYC garage operator. Hello there. I'm new to this forum but after doing a lot of research and test driving the tesla s. I'm a believer. and soon to be owner of the car. My concerns have been the "gassing up" options or lack there of in our city. After reading this I might have an option to help ease, and maybe solve the small supply of fast charging stations for Tesla s's.

as I noticed many of u want to drive into the city and be able to park AND charge the battery while enjoying or working for part of or all of the day. I hope u can understand that your/our cars consume a parking space. Most, but not all garages are not "hurting" for clients. and parking needs to be treated as any other car coming in to park. So my first question is. would you be in agreement to pay for parking if u could park your car in a garage with the added bonus of being able to charge your vehicle at a faster rate than the other options now being offered? there might have to be a "surcharge" for the increased electric bill i would incur. And of course the equipment is not free to install. From my understanding the only "fast" charge option in manhattan is the Tesla dealers garage. The second issue I noticed is self park. Most likely not an option unless it could be done on a first floor (not all garages have this). The liability is an issue. The parking attendants park cars for a living. And most of them do it without an incident. But s__t happens and cars get bumped. It's one thing when an employee does it. It is a whole different issue if a customer does it. Insurance companies don't allow it. I hope u can understand. I have had many a nice car parked by an valet and I hate not parking it myself. But I try and keep the attitude it's only a car. Always fixable and replaceable.

I have an idea to try a "test" program in a garage I own on the north side of Times Square. 50's seventh ave.

if the response to this is as favorable as I'm hoping for I will give it a go. Please reply with any and all opinions and suggestions. I'm a big boy who has heard it all.

Jonathan P

We won't be getting our X for almost 2 years, but we do go to NYC frequently and would DEFINITELY choose a garage with charging. However, when we drive to NYC we generally leave the car and take the subway or cabs so just having a 240 (or 208) plug would be fine for our use, but having nothing is nowhere.

So my first question is. would you be in agreement to pay for parking if u could park your car in a garage with the added bonus of being able to charge your vehicle at a faster rate than the other options now being offered? there might have to be a "surcharge" for the increased electric bill i would incur. And of course the equipment is not free to install. From my understanding the only "fast" charge option in manhattan is the Tesla dealers garage.
Yes; I don't expect free parking. In Boston, many of the high-end parking facilities have Chargepoint chargers which they make available free with paid parking (~$30/day). These include garages at: the John Hancock Tower, Rowe's Wharf, the Boston Common, and Post Office Square. I think these facilities are using the free charging as a competitive edge (although, in truth, parking is scarcer in Boston than New York City).

Notwithstanding that a lot of garage operators here are giving power away, I'd be okay with paying a reasonable premium to charge, preferably linked to the actual amount of energy (kWh) used, or simply a flat fee. An hourly surcharge would bite: I'm not necessarily going to be drawing current the whole time I'm parked with you, and I don't want to have to run back to the garage to unplug the car!

The second issue I noticed is self park. Most likely not an option unless it could be done on a first floor (not all garages have this). The liability is an issue. The parking attendants park cars for a living. And most of them do it without an incident. But s__t happens and cars get bumped. It's one thing when an employee does it. It is a whole different issue if a customer does it. Insurance companies don't allow it. I hope u can understand. I have had many a nice car parked by an valet and I hate not parking it myself. But I try and keep the attitude it's only a car. Always fixable and replaceable.

Many of the garages here are valet-only and, while I don't like it, I understand the need and would leave my car with you provided you (or your insurer) agree to pay for any damage that might be caused. With EVs there are additional reasons to have valet parking:
  1. The EV spot won't get parked-in by someone who doesn't need charging;
  2. You can cycle EVs into the charging spot to meet more charging needs with less equipment.

Im a NYC garage operator. Hello there. I'm new to this forum but after doing a lot of research and test driving the tesla s. I'm a believer. and soon to be owner of the car. My concerns have been the "gassing up" options or lack there of in our city. After reading this I might have an option to help ease, and maybe solve the small supply of fast charging stations for Tesla s's.

as I noticed many of u want to drive into the city and be able to park AND charge the battery while enjoying or working for part of or all of the day. I hope u can understand that your/our cars consume a parking space. Most, but not all garages are not "hurting" for clients. and parking needs to be treated as any other car coming in to park. So my first question is. would you be in agreement to pay for parking if u could park your car in a garage with the added bonus of being able to charge your vehicle at a faster rate than the other options now being offered? there might have to be a "surcharge" for the increased electric bill i would incur. And of course the equipment is not free to install. From my understanding the only "fast" charge option in manhattan is the Tesla dealers garage. The second issue I noticed is self park. Most likely not an option unless it could be done on a first floor (not all garages have this). The liability is an issue. The parking attendants park cars for a living. And most of them do it without an incident. But s__t happens and cars get bumped. It's one thing when an employee does it. It is a whole different issue if a customer does it. Insurance companies don't allow it. I hope u can understand. I have had many a nice car parked by an valet and I hate not parking it myself. But I try and keep the attitude it's only a car. Always fixable and replaceable.

I have an idea to try a "test" program in a garage I own on the north side of Times Square. 50's seventh ave.

if the response to this is as favorable as I'm hoping for I will give it a go. Please reply with any and all opinions and suggestions. I'm a big boy who has heard it all.

Jonathan P

I think it would be a great idea, I am surprised how few charging options there are in the city and the seemingly lack of interest on TMC. I would definitely go to your garage if my S could be charged there even for a small premium above the regular rate. Just make sure you put it on plugshare, itis probably the most. Used site/app to find charging stations.

Jonathan, the more garages with charging options the better, and the faster the charging options the better, especially for those that have short meetings and are not spending all day in town. I also think if you install the chargers before December there is a 30% tax credit available for businesses. The best option is a Clipper Creek CS100, which can provide high powered charging to Tesla Roadsters and Model S, X, etc. as well as compatible for charging all other electric vehicles. In addition to the high powered charging, it is much less expensive to install several 14-50 240v outlets at 50amps, since all Tesla's can also use that to charge with the charging cable the car comes with. Valet can help shuffle cars around to make sure cars are charged and then moved. Word will spread fast through this community of a Tesla friendly garage owner! Make sure to list your garage on Recargo.com and Plugshare.com.

Clipper Creek CS100:
Charging Station / CS-100, High Power

I charged in NYC last week at a garage. It was a chargepoint/blink setup in a normal spot. Had to pay for parking and the charge (though it hasn't yet appeared in my account), but no issues. Was worth it.

Hi Jonathon P. I'm getting my Tesla at the end of September and I'm looking for a permanent parking spot. I'd love to know what solution you came to in your garage and how much you charge per month or year. I'm also happy to buy and pay for the installation of my own charger.

Hope per to hear from you.

- - - Updated - - -

Jonathan P

Hi Jonathon P. I'm getting my Tesla at the end of September and I'm looking for a permanent parking spot. I'd love to know what solution you came to in your garage and how much you charge per month or year. I'm also happy to buy and pay for the installation of my own charger.

Hope per to hear from you.