Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms new supercharger capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In his Engadget interview, http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/05/elon-musk-interview/, he says exactly

It's a very exciting and dramatic -- really dramatic -- increase in the number of Superchargers and in what Superchargers can do. I think people will be really psyched.

The key in what is says is "and in what Superchargers can do" . So I think this confirms what others may have suggested ... I'm guessing the new capability is actually faster charging rates.

unless someone else has a better idea what he's referring to...

new capability: The supercharger parking spots detect being ICEd and eject those vehicles into a pile somewhere.

How about a camera that takes a picture of the ICE license plate and sends it to local police/tow company. Tow company races out to collect "impound fee". ICE drivers would learn the hard way, "don't park there".....

Heck, even if Tesla just put a sign up that said all license plates are photographed for parking violations, I bet the ICE guys would think twice about parking there.

I think it's faster. I believe Elon said when they were unveiled that they charged at (something like) 90 kW but could go up to (something like) 120 kW. They're probably just announcing this jump in capability.

Getting off topic here, but I hope there is some failsafe built in to the super chargers to prevent some idiot or kid putting a paper clip in the adapter and frying themselves at 120 kWh.

Right now most EV adopters are probably closer to the higher end of the spectrum in terms of intelligence and behavior, but as EVs spread out more to the masses, you know someone on the lower end of the spectrum is going to do something stupid.

In his Engadget interview, http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/05/elon-musk-interview/, he says exactly:

It's a very exciting and dramatic -- really dramatic -- increase in the number of Superchargers and in what Superchargers can do. I think people will be really psyched.

I really hope he means an increase in the number of planned superchargers for the full rollout, giving 150-mile coverage or better on major routes across the US, and not just "We are opening five more this month!". But after this last fantasy "leasing" program announcement, I am not betting on it.

Not sure this has not been announced, but I did see them putting massive battery capacity in the Tejon Pass station. This allows them to both increase peak delivery rates AND store solar-produced energy, both of which make the stations more efficient and easier to put in, as getting a 300+ kW feed from the utility isn't always easy (for multi-bay SC stations). They use a variant of the same battery packs in the cars, I think.

It's a very exciting and dramatic -- really dramatic -- increase in the number of Superchargers

Dramatic, as in 50 new sites? 100? Or should we meter for Elon-speak and say 10? I suppose that would be more than 100% increase which is a pretty dramatic number :tongue: See what happens when you cry wolf?

Not sure this has not been announced, but I did see them putting massive battery capacity in the Tejon Pass station. This allows them to both increase peak delivery rates AND store solar-produced energy, both of which make the stations more efficient and easier to put in, as getting a 300+ kW feed from the utility isn't always easy (for multi-bay SC stations). They use a variant of the same battery packs in the cars, I think.

Sounds like this might solve the issue of 2 or more cars supercharging reducing the rates for other cars if there's a backup source to draw from?

From the engadget interview:

Musk assures us that the company will meet its goal of 100 Supercharger stations, initially pegged for 2015, well earlier

My guess is that the build-out announcement is that they'll be doing a big burst of supercharger installs targeting 100 supercharger stations (roughly the 2 year map from the original announcement video) by some time this year (the "well earlier" from the quote).

120kW plus batteries seems reasonable for the changes in the chargers themselves and in keeping with Elon hyperbole (describing 30% increase in peak charge rate as "dramatic")

The Trifecta of Tesla, Solar City and Space X are forming operation "Ice-Shield". Space X has been secretly deploying a "thousand points of light" solar satellite laser defense shield capable of instantly vaporizing gas powered violators, leaving the parking lot open and free of debris within seconds of a Tesla owner releasing the safety and pressing the big red button under "charging" on the main console screen, it also can be activated via the smart phone app! Each Tesla charging station's parking pad will act as a crucible, equipped with a Thermoelectric module which captures the heat generated from the de-icing and transforms it into electricity for charging the next car. Tesla is therefore "putting it's money where it's mouth is", assuring, with 100% certainty, that it's charging stations will be ICE free. :)

new capability: The supercharger parking spots detect being ICEd and eject those vehicles into a pile somewhere.