Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bringing back the Sunday drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I had just the best drive the other day, as I posted earlier, through beautiful New England towns, cutting through the fresh spring air past fields, along prerevolutionary stone walls and leaving no exhaust behind in this revolutionary car. While I am sure we can later have a formal Model S rally, via the Natick Showroom or Watertown Service Center, I'd like to invite all who can make it for an occasional Sunday Drive this Spring.

A Revolutionary Ride
I am looking at Sunday, April 14th, around 11am, and the date beckons us to together follow in the steps of Paul Revere, leaving from Lexington, through Concord, with a stop at the Old North Bridge, and onwards through Carlisle, Acton, Stowe, Boxford, and other towns in search of a remote place for an easy late lunch. I have that place in mind. But the route be amenable to amendment. Chime in.

Bring Back The Sunday Drive
There was a time that the good people of New England took to the road for the sake of a drive on a Spring Sunday afternoon. Maybe they were onto something. Not a bad image - a rainbowed array of Teslas carving along ancient New England roads on a Spring day.

Feedback. We can work on the details soon. Welcome to all and to all chime in. It is my hope that we can do this a few times this Spring. ...And to all who are about to pick up a Model S over the next few weeks, ignore all the good things you have heard about this car. It's better than that.

Last edited:
Jim

I'd be up for that!!!

Perhaps if I got an early start with a stop at the Milford supercharger and then a couple of hours at a public station in Lexington....
Of course I'd need do a charge after to get the 144 (plus overhead) range to make it back to the supercharger and then home...

Aaron

Jim

I'd be up for that!!!

Perhaps if I got an early start with a stop at the Milford supercharger and then a couple of hours at a public station in Lexington....
Of course I'd need do a charge after to get the 144 (plus overhead) range to make it back to the supercharger and then home...

Aaron

Aaron, you make it sound so easy! Hey, let's see where this leads - I do intend to be in the NYC area in a couple of weeks, and appreciate the effort to come north but unless you are up for the trip for the sake of the trip, you and fellow New Yorkers can show me the winding roads there. So appreciate the attitude. Please keep in mind that John Broder, to the best of my knowledge, is not driving the same trip here in greater Boston the week before, so there's really nothing to prove here...

- - - Updated - - -

Jim,
You can count me and my wife in.

Great. Let me ask as I may be running into a school vacation week conflict - would the Sunday before, April 7th work as well for you radiod77 and others?

Aaron, you make it sound so easy! Hey, let's see where this leads - I do intend to be in the NYC area in a couple of weeks, and appreciate the effort to come north but unless you are up for the trip for the sake of the trip, you and fellow New Yorkers can show me the winding roads there. So appreciate the attitude. Please keep in mind that John Broder, to the best of my knowledge, is not driving the same trip here in greater Boston the week before, so there's really nothing to prove here...

- - - Updated - - -

Great. Let me ask as I may be running into a school vacation week conflict - would the Sunday before, April 7th work as well for you radiod77 and others?

Jim

I think it would be fun - and I'm eager to take more long trips that require more than just superchargers....

Perhaps if I came early enough, I could add some miles at your place?

Aaron

Unfortunately Sunday April 7th is a yearly model railroad show in Shirley that I participate in for the whole day. What I do there is also hi-tech, but in a different way. I bring a model train with a video camera in it. Kind of like backing up in the Model S with your eye on the screen, but you're going forward and the camera is not quite as good as Model S's HD.

Radiod77, Aaoron - let me figure out what I really need to do the 7th and 14th and I'll post asap. Sorry for throwing the first pitch and then calling a rain delay! Aaron and anyone can certainly plug in at my place, always.

- - - Updated - - -

Robert and all New Englanders,

Congratulations on The First Anniversary of the New Englanders Tesla Motors Thread, this week.

I can not help but think of the amazing developments over the past 12 months; for you I bet they have been really fun, maybe a few early-adopter frustrations, for those who have taken delivery the thrill of that first day - wow. For me - I had not heard of the TMC Site, I had no idea where to turn for detailed info and updates and innuendos and rumors and humor and predictions and regrets, other than the Forum at Tesla, and that was very limited, very difficult for communication. The first Model S had yet to roll off the line, there were no Superchargers, there was no $2000 fee for 60kWh cars, there was no CCI Console, there was no missing parcel shelf, there were still rumors of battery swap stations, there had yet to be a minor explosion at my house (electric, but not related to Tesla!), had not heard from 68 people looking to find out if my Tesla blew up my house (neither) while I was in a long stretch of work and away from TMC.com, I had met Ben twice but had no idea that, while E = MC squared, B = TMS, I had yet to even imagine I would hold the Motor Trend Car of the Year Award on a stage a few feet from Elon, George, Franz and the Motor Trend Staff - never would have happened without this forum, and the kindness of a Tesla Guy, and when on December 16th an 85-foot truck arrived at my neighborhood - with a package just for me - I'd be thrilled to share that moment with people I don't really know, but know really enjoy.

Thanks, Robert and All for bringing the New Englanders together.

I'm up for the 21st, with a preference for afternoon. By the way, I see YobigD's quote from ModelS1079 revising to the 21st, but not the post from whence it came.

Lunch destination is subject to choice of route, have we got a route?

--Eva

Great - trying to summarize, sounds like we are up for a ride on the 21st. Morning and afternoon preferences might best be compromised with leaving at 11am, lunch, finish early afternoon...okay?
Suggested route for this first Sunday [Zero Emission] Drive would be to honor that other American Revolution and that other Zero Emissions Ride that occurred this same weekend, 238 years ago, long before gas stations were abandoned in favor of NEMA 14-50's and HPWC's, and follow Paul Revere's route and into the towns still adorned with old New England farms and ancient stone walls coursing the winding roads. I think Boston will be a bit difficult as a start, so I was thinking we could begin in Lexington, through Concord, into Lincoln, Acton, Boxborough, Stowe, Carlisle... etc. Lunch could be quite easy and rustic (Please check out Nancy's Airfield Cafe in Stow, which has plenty of parking space and is local, farm food, maybe a little overpriced: Nancy's at the Air Field) or a bit more stogy but appropriate (Colonial Inn at Concord Center Concord MA Historic Inn | Concord's Colonial Inn | Concord Hotel ), or amenable to your suggestions. I envision brief stops at key places easy to park along the way, perhaps Paul Revere's capture site, The Old North Bridge...okay you get the idea. All on two lane roads over 200 years old.

Feedback welcome. Time. Route. Food. Ideas.

Hoping Robert.Boston can jumpstart/arrange an oceanside tour for May, perhaps including Boston Harbor-front (yes I am imagining the picture!).

Last edited:
Sadly, there are few places that command a great view of the Boston skyline ​and are fun to drive to. Instead, I'd suggest a tour of Cape Ann, starting in Beverly (at Lynch Park on the water, with dramatic views of the coal- and oil-fired power plant in Salem), running along the ocean on MA-127, staying on MA-127A to Rockport for lunch, then around Cape Ann on MA-127 back to Gloucester, then up MA-133 to Concord St to Atlantic St, where we end the drive at Wangersheek Beach. Maybe for May?

SUNDAY APRIL 28th near Boston - Bringing Back The Sunday Drive

I should be able to go. And if we're in Stow, Nancy's it is :)

I'll let Nancy know to expect us.

PLEASE note I posted the wrong date to match the Sunday - is the 28th...

April 28, 11am - will nail down exact meeting place but will be in or near Lexington.
All welcome and encouraged to help create a colorful array of Teslas, of course. Our executive, pioneering Roadsters should join in.

Route something like: past the Hancock-Clarke House to the Lexington Battlegreen and past Buckman Tavern, to Concord through the Minuteman National Park,and the site of Paul Revere's Capture, through Concord Center to The Old North Bridge, through Carlisle past farms and Daisy's Market and around into Acton, Stow for Lunch at Nancy's Airfield Cafe and room and time to talk, look at cars, and show them off heck why not. Then back through the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge into Sudbury, briefly through Wayland, through Lincoln and back to Lexington. Could instead head from Stow through Subury and Wayland and into Natick to the Tesla Natick Store, another natural ending spot.

The key is to be sure we stay on the ancient paths of those who journeyed before, two lane roads lined by woods, farmhouses and fields.

Feedback always welcome. Robert, I was hoping you'd suggest Cape Ann for May...