Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunday Times: Electric sports car to be made by Tesla Motors in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Electric sports car to be made by Tesla Motors in UK - Times Online

Article in the Business section of the Sunday Times. It could do with some proofreading though!

Edit: OK I've seen the paper version and the article in there is actually properly written.

However

Why is the Tesla - something you can actually buy - in the business section, when there is an actual driving supplement?

Today this supplement contains a double page spread on both the HFC Chevy Equinox by Jay Leno (which he likes a lot) and another dps on the Lightning GT.

Last edited:
I agree that the article is in dire need of editing, but that unfortunately seems to be increasingly typical for internet articles.

This statement in the article caught my eye:
Tesla is using proprietary battery cells such as those that now power laptop computers.
Is there a different meaning of "proprietary" in the UK, or did they mean to use "commodity" instead?

I agree that the article is in dire need of editing, but that unfortunately seems to be increasingly typical for internet articles.

This statement in the article caught my eye:

Is there a different meaning of "proprietary" in the UK, or did they mean to use "commodity" instead?

I think it's more likely the author was thinking of the proprietary battery pack. I agree on the need for editing; this article was actually worst than what I typically read on blogs.

Off topic: I read the Equinox article and it talked about the hydrogen highway allowing a drive from San Diego to San Francisco. I wonder if electric automakers can get together and make a electric highway consisting of rapid chargers, similar to the one in Oahu right now. Probably a good topic for another thread.

Last edited:
It's hard to know exactly what the autor had in mind with regards to usage of the word "proprietary". The first sentence of the next paragraph reads, "Each roadster has 6,831 of building up to 40 cars a week,..."

The piece is so hacked up (probably by the editor) that it's impossible to know what he was trying to say. Pity really.

I'm back at work now (yesterday was a holiday in most of the UK), so scanned the paper. Hopefully it will make better sense.

2799928486_5d61373463_o.jpg

I've never seen the Times / Sunday Times edit a web article in relation to the print version. It looks like a genuine mistake - perhaps an earlier draft was uploaded, although one would think they had management systems in place to trap this.