Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Meetup @ Bucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
EV Meetup @ Buck's

Buck's is a popular restaurant in Woodside. This morning a Tango, a Tesla, and a Wrightspeed X1 showed up for breakfast at the same time.

2791644464_c7042d4d4f_o.jpg

By the way, I got a go in the Wrightspeed X1 after taking the picture... Wow!... Wow!!... Wow!!! Thanks, Ian! :biggrin:

Last edited:
why the Wrightspeed X1 is now blue all of the sudden? It's always been red.

Yeah, I wondered that but forgot to ask. I am fairly sure it is the same car, just with updated trim.

wrightspeed%20big.jpg

I don't think I have ever been in a vehicle before that can pull more than 1.2g's in all directions! That 4 point seat belt comes in real handy. Ian mentioned that his tire replacement budget is like 50x his electricity budget.

Well I think that basically describes the X1, and I think Wrightspeed was planning to sell them, but seems to have moved on to different projects now.

Apparently Brammo has been thinking of doing something similar.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/electric-cars/404-enertia-gt-upcoming-electric-super-car.html
Brammo Ariel Atom (Enertia GT) - Fast and furious | Luxurich.com
Posts tagged Enertia GT at Autoblog

If someone was seriously interested in an electric Atom, I think you would probably want to try to contact both Brammo and Wrightspeed to find out the latest news about them.

If the Tesla feels like a trapdoor opened and gravity took over, the X1 feels like you were shot out of a cannon. Also in many sports cars you explore the limits of the suspension, but the X1 seems so connected that you are really just exploring the limits of the tires.

So the owners of three of the quickest (electric) cars on the planet meet up for breakfast. What scheme are they hatching? :wink:

I think the scheme was to have fun with their cars!

So TEG you've driven the X1 too? That's got to be a 2.0 grin! :biggrin:
I didn't exactly say who was driving.
Whoever was driving probably doesn't want to be known for showing off 1.2g's on public roads... I would say that the X1 is possibly more "at home" on the track (with everyone wearing helmets) than on the street.

My Tesla emoticon: :biggrin:

My X1 emoticon: :eek:

These pictures and stories on ABG make me wish there is a similar gathering at a similar type place in LA.

The first place to come to mind is the Rock Store on Mullholland.
The Rock Store - Ed & Vern's motorcycle pit stop
It's 90 percent motorcycles but a lot of supercars and customs stop from driving the hills for metal gawking as well. Wonder if they would "not take kindly" to EV's.

The particular layout of spacious places like Alice's up north are hard to find unless you are on the outskirts like Gorman, Lancaster or San Dimas. Even Irvine the planned community has some. Old Newport has some winding roads in the hills there and I suppose that should be the 2nd requirement of the hangout (don't know anything about Bucks'). A place to give and get rides in the cars and the funner the better.

The SG hills have the Pasadena area, Monrovia, even La Cresenta was formed in LA's early days and old places are more spread out. (Martin would be nearby here). The Tahoe area is really pushing it on didtance.

Anyone aware of EV gatherings in LA?

TEG doesn't mention that the white truck on the left is TEG's Ford Ranger EV with NiMH batteries. The people in the picture are me (Jorg Brown, the Tango owner), and Ian Wright, and behind Ian and barely visible, Martin Eberhard.

The meetup was in part for Jamis McNiven, owner of the restaurant, who is looking to feature some electric cars in a future menu and wanted a pic of all 3 electric supercars. (Buck's menus come with a story, and many patrons are collectors of the menus) The joke that day was that we came as part of a mass protest to force Jamis to install EV chargers at his restaurant. :)

For those of you who don't know Buck's, it's located in Woodside, where many absurdly rich people live (Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, Martin Eberhard, etc), and there are quite a few famous VC deals that have happened there. Martin used to go there with the first Tesla mule, when he was still seeking investors. It is, however, not an expensive restaurant; it's a charming little place with all kinds of cool stuff on the walls and the ceiling. I had the Cheese Blintz special with assorted fruits, which is just amazing.