Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's lease announcement was anticlimactic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's announcement was anti-climatic. Tesla being profitable is arguably more exciting news. What should have all been announced today is:

1. Tesla is finally profitable (was announced Sunday but should have actually been announced today)
2. Downtown Vegas Project Just Bought 100 Teslas for ride sharing program
3. Financing is now available but downplay the residual crap, it makes buyers realize how much money the Model S loses each year (Yes, it happens to every car but we don't like to be reminded of this). Also, don't do the misleading $500 a month . The focus should be that there's actually financing available. Its good news but not as big as Elon had us believe.

You shouldn't build so much hype on twitter unless you can back it up. You lose credibility. I predict stocks will drop 3 to 6% tomorrow.

We've been down this road many times IW. It's a bad habit of Elon's to hype up an announcement, only to come out with something boring in the announcement. It was going to be like aliens landed for the supercharger. The Model X was going to blow our minds with the miracle doors.

The best announcements were un-hyped. For example, the surprise announcement of the performance version of the S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's announcement was anti-climatic

Today's announcement was anti-climatic. Tesla being profitable is arguably more exciting news. What should have all been announced today is:

1. Tesla is finally profitable (was announced Sunday but should have actually been announced today)
2. Downtown Vegas Project Just Bought 100 Teslas for ride sharing program
3. Financing is now available but downplay the residual crap, it makes buyers realize how much money the Model S loses each year (Yes, it happens to every car but we don't like to be reminded of this). Also, don't do the misleading $500 a month . The focus should be that there's actually financing available. Its good news but not as big as Elon had us believe.

You shouldn't build so much hype on twitter unless you can back it up. You lose credibility. I predict stocks will drop 3 to 6% tomorrow.

I think it was overblown because expectations got way out of proportion. I think we have to keep our expectations in check. Today three key things were announced.

1. There are three more announcements coming. One each week for the next three weeks.
2. This Hybrid Leasing plan is huge because it gets people (the target buyers) over the psychological hump in two ways. 1. Building Equity 2. Establishing a price floor 3. Changing up the cars every so often (with less uncertainty)
3. You have to remember all these pieces are part of the large puzzle with the big picture of mass adoption. Slowly but surely it will get there.

I would argue that Mr. Musk's personal guarantee is VERY big and worth the hype alone. Of course, if you aren't the one putting your personal fortune on the line, I can see how you'd not think it that big a deal. Big picture, his willingness to do such a thing - yet again - states to his continued confidence that Tesla is going to survive, that he'll make it survive. That's a huge plus from a shareholder/investor position.

If you aren't someone who'd take advantage of the Tesla financing program, then again, I can understand the feelings of let down since it's not about you, but about what other people might want and have been waiting for. Big picture, it opens Tesla to a whole new segment of the market, which is another huge plus from a shareholder/investor position.

Wait, so unlike most leases, there won't be an option to purchase the car at the end of the leasing term? I like that leases give me the option to walk away but if I really like the vehicle, perhaps I'd like to keep it. Would there be an option to pay the residual value?

The point most have missed here, surprisingly, is that their consumer research has highlighted that these are the concerns that is keeping people from committing to buy the car over a Mercedes ICE Model S. These countermeasures address that. Demand will increase and therefore production will increase. Tesla is identifying problems and solving them. This is excellent.

All things considered, I would be very proud to be someone who believed in a start up company and have it turn out to be the first independent car company to survive in the history of vehicle production since Henry Ford!!!! I have invested in this thought by purchasing one of these vehicles. Oh yeh, and by the way, it happens to be 100% electric.

We've been down this road many times IW. It's a bad habit of Elon's to hype up an announcement, only to come out with something boring in the announcement. It was going to be like aliens landed for the supercharger. The Model X was going to blow our minds with the miracle doors.

The best announcements were un-hyped. For example, the surprise announcement of the performance version of the S.

This. Very much aliens redux.

I guess I'm the Debbie Downer here. I think this could have been positioned to be a positive announcement. However, after sifting through the fluff the whole thing comes across as very misleading and unprofessional to me.
I like the idea that they are trying to get creative to expand the base of potential buyers, and that Elon is personally backing the residual guarantee. But the positioning of a monthly cost for the loan (it is NOT a lease) at $500 will (I think) turn a lot of potential buyers off and end up feeling a bit slimy to many after they realize what their true monthly outlay will be. Ironically, if the actual monthly payment amounts had been disclosed up front, and then the discussion about potential savings, I think many might be potentially swayed into the tent. What a shame. I'm going to the garage now to plug Nicoletta in and then head for the shower. Just can't shake this yucky feeling.

The point most have missed here, surprisingly, is that their consumer research has highlighted that these are the concerns that is keeping people from committing to buy the car over a Mercedes ICE Model S. These countermeasures address that. Demand will increase and therefore production will increase. Tesla is identifying problems and solving them. This is excellent.

i completely agree!

this has potential to bring the model S TO THE MASSES!!!!

company/stock benefits....and so does my stock portfolio! GOOD PART OF MY CAR PAID FOR INVESTING AND BELIEVING IN TESLA AS A COMPANY!!!

I think that many of us want Mr. Musk to have the same level of showmanship as the late Steve Jobs. Especially since Tesla feels like the Apple of the auto industry in many respects.

In many ways the parallels are there between Jobs and Musk: young boy wonders, tech industry billionaires, running multiple world-changing companies, both with flares for the dramatic. But whereas Steve was a world class showman and presenter, Elon's skills in this area leave much to be desired. Watching fairly boring videos of truly incredible product introductions like the Superchargers and the Model X, I can't help but wonder what they would have been like with Steve's showmanship on display as well.