Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Performance Plus Package
Performance Plus upgrades an already impressive handling car by stiffening key suspension linkages and tuning dampers to increase lateral stiffness without compromising ride. 21" wheels with wider rear rims and Michelin Pilot Sport SP2 tires channel these improvements to the road. The result is nothing short of amazing-light, responsive steering with minimal body roll. It's a performance junkie's perfect daily driver.

Really???? $6,500 option?? Really???? Is it really necessary to have this?

It adds the 21" tires, so that's $3500 of the price. Add more because the rears are wider, and the tires are more expensive and you're down to about $2000 or so for the suspension pieces. Seems reasonable when compared to BMW or Mercedes suspension add ons.

This includes the 21" wheel option of $3500 + $3000 for the other suspension pieces. I'm wondering if the standard 21" wheel gets the Continentals and the performance plus gets the michelin. The michelin tires are nearly twice as expensive as the Conti's. No more tire rotations other than left to right if the tires are not unidirectional.

I'm slightly confused. For some reason I recall people saying they were receiving Michelins and the wider rear tires with their P85s. Mine has Continentals (no wider rear tires) and was delivered on 3/29. I assumed my receiving Continentals was a cost-cutting measure similar to the fabric headliner change. I don't care too much, but it seems like those who got the Michelins were the lucky minority?

I'm slightly confused. For some reason I recall people saying they were receiving Michelins and the wider rear tires with their P85s. Mine has Continentals (no wider rear tires) and was delivered on 3/29. I assumed my receiving Continentals was a cost-cutting measure similar to the fabric headliner change. I don't care too much, but it seems like those who got the Michelins were the lucky minority?

Not a cost cutting measure. I'm not sure why some came with Pilots, but the website has always listed the Continentals as the tire that comes with the Performance. I believe at some point they were have having supply issues with the Continentals and may have used the more expensive Pilots as a temporary solution.

Wow barely got the car and they have a new package...def want the wider rears. That is another thing I thought it could use from the beginning. Shouldn't be too hard to swap out suspension bits. Will Tesla offer an upgrade to us directly? And it looks like the Michelins are actually rated worse than the contis at least on tirerack.com
Would be interested in this...

Don't forget the trade-offs. Wider tires = more rolling resistance = less range.

True. But better cornering, and that's huge for me. I've always said that the most important thing in a car is that it holds to the road in a curve, and that it stops when I need it to do so. Plus, I'm getting a fair bit of slipping upon hard acceleration from zero (my car has Pilots), so I figure more rubber is better. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.) And the range, for me, is not a consideration: I work from home and only got the 85 kWh because that's what came with the Performance version. :)