Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving between Toronto and Windsor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbeckley

Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto(ish)
Strangely for my normal driving pattern I've found myself having to travel to London Ontario from Toronto twice in two weeks. I'm dying to take my Model S but the return trip is 400km - too close to a full range charge. Any good charging locations along the 401 corridor or in London (visiting a customer on Dundas St) that folks have used?

Strange that Tesla do not seem to be earmarking a Supercharging station for the Toronto-Windsor stretch. Isn't 401 one of the busiest highways in North America?

Thanks for the help.

I drive from the GTA to the Waterloo Region every day for work (about half way to London) and will be going to London on business soon. London Hydro has a free public charger at their offices on Horton St. and there are a few others around town too. Check out PlugShare, ChargePoint, CAA and Sun Country for locations. There is supposedly a high power Sun Country unit at the Best Western just off the 401 in Milton, but I couldn't find it when I cruised past last week looking for it. A bit out of your way, but there is a 30 amp charger at the Stone Road Mall in Guelph.

- - - Updated - - -

Strange that Tesla do not seem to be earmarking a Supercharging station for the Toronto-Windsor stretch. Isn't 401 one of the busiest highways in North America?

YES. Please put one on the Toronto to Windsor corridor!

I guess I could have been less cryptic but they list the location of 9 EVSEs located in London in the Sun Country press release posted above.

The city now has nine charging stations for electric vehicles. You can find them at:
  • City hall parking garage

• Covent Garden Market parking garage

• Budweiser Gardens parking lot

• London Hydro on Horton Street

• Finch Chevrolet on Wonderland Road

• Mitsubishi London on Wharncliffe Road

• Best Western hotel at Colonel Talbot Road and Highway 401

• TD Canada Trust on Richmond Street

• St. Joseph’s Hospital on Richmond Street

Made the trip comfortably using 3 hours of charging at the new Sun Country charger at the arena. Was completely lucky that the spot in front of the charger was just vacating as I pulled up. This was far and away my biggest concern. The charger is located half way along a row of parking spots. If they had all been filled (which they were until the one car left) I would have been in trouble. There needed to be a sign that said 'Park here only if is the last vacant spot'. Early days...

Made the trip comfortably using 3 hours of charging at the new Sun Country charger at the arena. Was completely lucky that the spot in front of the charger was just vacating as I pulled up. This was far and away my biggest concern. The charger is located half way along a row of parking spots. If they had all been filled (which they were until the one car left) I would have been in trouble. There needed to be a sign that said 'Park here only if is the last vacant spot'. Early days...

Where is the arena?

It's called the Budweiser centre. West end of downtown opposite the market. Charger is in the parking lot on the south side of the building (strangely located on the south side of the parking lot away from the main building).

New charge station available - Best Western in Milton. I charged there three nights in a row this week.

It's way around back, drive until you think you missed it; you'll discover it when you run out of parking lot and try to turn around. Not likely to get ICEd back there!

New charge station available - Best Western in Milton. I charged there three nights in a row this week.

It's way around back, drive until you think you missed it; you'll discover it when you run out of parking lot and try to turn around. Not likely to get ICEd back there!

+1. It's easily accessed from the 401 and the hotel actually has a nice restaurant/coffee shop while you wait. I tried it out the other night on my way home from work, and it's fantastic.

How is this corridor nowadays? I'm also interested in traffic from Windsor to the Western-bound SC corridor in the USA.

Right now, I'm in the process of selecting a route to the West coast. Laval to the Mauston, Wisconsin Super Charger is 1652 kilometers via the Northern route through Sault Ste-Marie, but would be entirely without SC.

Going through Windsor to the reach the SC network at Maumee, Ohio would be 100 km longer to Mauston, but the last 715 km would be SC powered. On paper, this is much faster, but I'm worried about bottle-necks around the GTA, Windsor/Detroit, and Chicago.

Any input would be appreciated. Delaying the trip is not an option. I already moved the departure from late May to late June after Tesla announced the Toronto SC would be ready this month.

why not connect to the SC network sooner by heading to Albany straight away?

Laval to Maumee, OH via Windsor is 1016 km, but it's 1686 km through Albany and the major detour South through Maryland necessary in order to follow the current SC network. Driving in shifts, with no stop for the night, the Albany option is probably faster, but once you stop in a hotel it's longer.

Assuming you leave Laval with a full charge of ~400 km, you need to add 616 km if going by Windsor. Arranging for 300 km overnight leaves 316 km to be added during the day. At a 70a, 200v Suncountry station this should take 4.5 hours, less than the time needed to drive the extra 670 km on the all-SC route.

I will need to make a trip from Markham (GTA) to Lakeshore (near Windsor) to visit some friends. 376km (234mi) one way without diversions to charge (407, 401). Loaded - all seats and trunks will be full.

I am in need of some 'fresh' suggestions. Thinking of stopping at London somewhere (not sure where) for a break and charge. If I discover that I can't charge there, I'd have options to reach Chatham (Downtown Mall) or Tilbury (dealer, tricky). Have never been to either. There seems to be quite a long stretch of electrical desert between London and Chatham... I don't want to stop too early, but have also to be conscious of the fact that I will most likely be doing this drive late - i.e. I will likely not start before about 4pm and could be as late as 7 or 8pm... would need some two hours to London and would need to have something to eat at that time. And that becomes a very important question - which charger location would have good places around to eat that late? Suggestions welcome!

Over there I will have access to NEMA 14-30 only. And will need to charge up well to get at least to London (easy) and from there there are many backup chargers if needed (Ingersoll, Woodstock, Waterloo-Kitchener area, etc.) Same thing about late departure and eating though...

Your suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

I passed through this area traveling East last weekend and stopped at three different 70-amp Sun Country sites.

1) Overnight charge in Chatham-Kent. The station is right across from the back entrance of the Retro Suites hotel where I stayed. It is also a plus that it's 238v instead of the 200-208 volts at most commercial sites. The drawback is that you're in trouble if this station is taken or out-of-order, since Plugshare doesn't list much else in the area. btw, the Retrosuites' weekend rates were very reasonable for the quality. It is a boutique hotel with themed rooms, so you do need to find a theme you like.

2) Ingersoll Comfort Inn. Convenient to the 401 and services. 70a @ 208v.

3) Woodstock Hydro. Another 240 volt site. There are two CS-90s, so less risk of not being able to get a spot.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question about late-night dining options, unless Tim's in Ingersoll fits the bill. Even with your cargo, Toronto Windsor is doable non-stop or with a brief stop. The only reason I used so many stations in that stretch is that I was going past Toronto and wanted to load up whenever 70a was available.

Thanks!

Yes, it could be doable non-stop but wind in the wrong direction or rain could spoil things. I also know that whenever went there before we always made a stop for kids to eat. The plan is to add a little buffer at the same time. And, yes, I can't rely on either one, as i'd be toast if it ends up not working or is occupied.

So, so far London and Woodstock seem nice, but have to check the restaurants...