Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the assumption is that the Conservatives would pull the plug on EV rebates, like they want to do for the green energy initiatives. That's not necessarily a valid assumption, of course; probably you should ask your candidate.

Example: in BC's fiscal year 2013-14 (Apr 2013 - Mar 2014), the $5,000 rebate was specified to go until March 31, 2014 or when funds ran out. The funding ran out in mid-February 2014. So far, the provincial government has not announced a new pot of $$$$. So no discount in BC at the moment (or, since Feb 2014).

EDIT: I guess I'm mentioning this in the Ontario thread because I don't think you can predict when any government will "give" or "take away" programs. You're either lucky with your timing, or not. I hope y'all are lucky!!!

If the Conservatives win the election in Ontario, the EV rebate will almost certainly disappear. No point asking a candidate, really. The only question is how fast it will be gone, whether in the first budget or sooner. (I've asked my MPP's office to find out what the usual mechanism would be for removing it, but it's not interested in supplying an answer.) Hudak never mentions the massive subsidies to oil and gas, but he'll pull everything he can to try to make any alternative energy source fail. He's said as much directly.

If the Conservatives win the election in Ontario, the EV rebate will almost certainly disappear.

I've heard nothing during the campaign to support that. I work quite closely with the Ministries of Energy and Transportation on EV issues and it is pretty ingrained into what they're trying to do (i.e. support EV adoption). I suppose a new government could change that, but somewhat related things like the conservation programs (which could also be perceived as a conservative target) seem "safe" as far as I can tell.

I think the fact that electric vehicle rebates are now going to people buying $100K cars works against these rebates being available in the future. I'm not agreeing with this, but it seems in BC that bringing our rebate back is met with resistance because of this fact. When it went mainly to the LEAF, to bring it from $35K to $30K, people could live with that. But giving it to people buying Teslas is met with more resistance. No one sees the billions given to big oil but the piddly amounts given to promote electric vehicles is much more visible.

I think the fact that electric vehicle rebates are now going to people buying $100K cars works against these rebates being available in the future.

Well, there is that! I do recall reading somewhere that one particular jurisdiction removed the incentive on Teslas but left it for other plug-in vehicles. Mind you, I did have to pay the gas guzzler a/c tax on my Tesla in Ontario!

The Conservative leader in Ontario is on record as planning to remove all subsidies to alternative energy. Even if he hasn't mentioned EV rebates, it's very unlikely he'd leave them in place, with that attitude. The MTO person I contacted (admittedly much lower down than yours) with a simple procedural question about change in the rebate program refused to answer my question or suggest a way to get it answered.

You may be right, Mike; let's hope so! But anyone counting on an EV rebate in Ontario if the Conservatives win may be unpleasantly surprised.

That's just plain silly, people buying a LEAF are recieving money from the province while people buying a Tesla are paying less sales tax to the government than they would have otherwise. How about just making EV's sales tax exempt?

I think the fact that electric vehicle rebates are now going to people buying $100K cars works against these rebates being available in the future. I'm not agreeing with this, but it seems in BC that bringing our rebate back is met with resistance because of this fact. When it went mainly to the LEAF, to bring it from $35K to $30K, people could live with that. But giving it to people buying Teslas is met with more resistance. No one sees the billions given to big oil but the piddly amounts given to promote electric vehicles is much more visible.

I think making all EV's sales tax exempt (until we have achieved a critical mass of them on the road) is a much better idea than a rebate plan...a rebate plan requires extra staff (cost) to monitor the program...a sales tax exemption would be provided by existing staff...

The Conservative leader in Ontario is on record as planning to remove all subsidies to alternative energy.

Yes, but there is no mention of EV rebates or other energy conservation programs. The subsidies for renewables in Ontario have been in the form of a premium paid for the power they generate, and are not really "subsidies" in the traditional sense, although it amounts to the same thing. Personally, I think removing the subsidy is a good thing. The way it has been implemented in Ontario has been a mess and has cause other unintended consequences. For example, wind generators are paid a fixed premium price for the power they produce, and the Independent Electricity System Operator has been ordered to purchase their power whether the system requires it or not. Wind often blows at night or in other off peak periods and what this means is that the IESO has to curtail other less expensive forms of generation or it creates a surplus which has to be exported. (Electricity at this scale cannot be stored... it has to be used as produced). When there's a surplus, it drives the spot market price down, then everyone complains that we are "selling our electricity at a loss" to New York and Michigan. It isn't really a "loss", it's just that the surplus has driven the cost down, and it has to go somewhere, so our neighbors are happy to pick it up at a low rate. All this at the same time that we are paying the wind generators a premium for their power. It does drive prices in Ontario higher and there are better ways to implement clean and/or renewable power.