Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First problem: rear door glass stuck open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, early adopter blues for me too.

After two weeks of ownership, my driver side rear window is stuck open.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364869945.275358.jpg

After work, I open the rear door to put my briefcase on the seat. When I close the door, all of a sudden the glass literally "falls" down inside the rail crack as if it jumped off its track.

No amount of window up or down is moving the glass. It's stuck.

Great. I call Tesla support but since it was already 6:30 nobody available in the service centers and I was only 5 miles from Fremont. They will call me tomorrow.

Drive home with the window wide open.

Now what. Garage is already occupied with more important cars. Can't leave it like this outside, besides, it might sprinkle tonight.

Well, trusty tape and plastic.

Ouuuh, is my new Tesla pretty...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364870257.005359.jpg

Its probably the window regulator -- you're right , something to do with holding the glass in place so the motor can moved it. It was a frequent problem on VW Jettas from back in the day. They should be able to fix it no problem. Just hope it doesn't recur and becomes a TSB like it did with those VWs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Well, if it's off its track maybe you can you just lift it up. But then what would you tape it to... I had this happen on my Jeep but it had a window frame so I was able to tape it to that... Ok, nevermind, your fix is the right one. Ugh.

Years ago, I had a power window fail like this and I pulled it apart myself. What I found was a flexible nylon track that had teeth and was fed through a gear in the motor (think rack and pinion) the nylon "ribbon" would push the window up or pull it down depending on which way the motor was spinning. In my case, the nylon ribbon had snapped, and it was something like $10 to get a new piece and feed it through the motor, then attach it to the bottom of the glass. You have to be really careful to block the glass from falling while your hands are in there!

I think it's window actuator.

- - - Updated - - -

Years ago, I had a power window fail like this and I pulled it apart myself. What I found was a flexible nylon track that had teeth and was fed through a gear in the motor (think rack and pinion) the nylon "ribbon" would push the window up or pull it down depending on which way the motor was spinning. In my case, the nylon ribbon had snapped, and it was something like $10 to get a new piece and feed it through the motor, then attach it to the bottom of the glass. You have to be really careful to block the glass from falling while your hands are in there!

I had exactly the opposite thing happen (in the sense of a simple fix being expensive) - like many with Audi A4/A6 and VW Passat, the window there is held on the regulator wire with a plastic clip. The $2 plastic clip would fail, but the only factory solution was a $750 regulator module (most of the door!), so I had to take it apart myself, buy similar clips from another car and mount them myself. Argh I hate classical auto companies, their parts business, and their service/dealers! ARGH.

Service ordered the spare part for the rear stuck window , Temporarily they rolled up the window and disabled the window rolling operation . This is the first issue after owning for about 2 months ..

It also appears service centre are way under staffed and the wait time for appointments are way long ..