Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My bikes fit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sun is out in Portland, OR, it's near 80F, that means it's time to go out into the country and do some serious biking.

With my previous car, I used a roof rack (does terrible things for mileage, as you might think). Hard to believe I haven't done this yet, but I tested my S to see if my bikes would fit inside, or if I'd have to buy another roof rack.

Good news - they fit! All of them. (yes, I own more than one)

I ride recumbent bikes (neck problems), which don't lend themselves to a lot of "trailer hitch" type racks. They can be rather odd looking compared to a "normal" bike - you can see a picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/douglasbullard/3148790217/

I folded down the rear seats and laid out an old bedspread so that it covered most of the rear area, took off the front wheel, laid the bike down and folded the bedspread over the front. I ride short-wheelbase recumbents, that means the front chain ring is up front where it WILL doe damage to upholstery unless properly covered.

My biggest bike is a Bacchetta CA 2.0 with 700c wheels and the large frame - and it fit with room to spare (I'm pretty sure I could have got two in if I stacked them right).

Best thing is - I still have the frunk to carry other cargo!

Yeah, it's pretty neat to just be able to toss a bike back there. My wife has a hybrid and a road bike; both are pretty big as she's 5'11" and all leg (they are too big for me to ride comfortably). But I don't have to take any wheels off or anything - I just throw in a blanket and then the bike.

We now have a Torklift hitch, so we can go that route too. But it is easier to throw the bike in the back...

The sun is out in Portland, OR, it's near 80F, that means it's time to go out into the country and do some serious biking.

With my previous car, I used a roof rack (does terrible things for mileage, as you might think). Hard to believe I haven't done this yet, but I tested my S to see if my bikes would fit inside, or if I'd have to buy another roof rack.

I ride recumbent bikes (neck problems), which don't lend themselves to a lot of "trailer hitch" type racks. They can be rather odd looking compared to a "normal" bike - you can see a picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/douglasbullard/3148790217/

I folded down the rear seats and laid out an old bedspread so that it covered most of the rear area, took off the front wheel, laid the bike down and folded the bedspread over the front. I ride short-wheelbase recumbents, that means the front chain ring is up front where it WILL doe damage to upholstery unless properly covered.

My biggest bike is a Bacchetta CA 2.0 with 700c wheels and the large frame - and it fit with room to spare (I'm pretty sure I could have got two in if I stacked them right).

I have a Challenge Fujin SL and I'm counting on it fitting. I took measurements and I think it will.

All -

Here's the solution I went with -- Torklift Central Eco hitch with Saris Freedom Hitch Rack:

IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg

I didn't want to damage the interior of the car!
Haven't tested its effect on range - but hope to do that soon!

Aaron

Yup, I've got the large frame 700c CA 2.0, a 650c Corsa, and a Giro 26 (my commuter bike - disc brakes work great in the Portland rains).

Three bikes is rather a lot, really... I only meant to have two, then won the CA 2.0 in a charity raffle. Probably should sell the Corsa :)

Yup, I've got the large frame 700c CA 2.0, a 650c Corsa, and a Giro 26 (my commuter bike - disc brakes work great in the Portland rains).

Three bikes is rather a lot, really... I only meant to have two, then won the CA 2.0 in a charity raffle. Probably should sell the Corsa :)

Nonsense. I think the ideal number of bicycles to own is around 7. I happen to own 5 + 2. 5 that are a tire inflation and chain lube away from being 100% rideable. Two that need a repair before they are ready to go. I am still in mourning about my mountain bike frame dieing about 7 years ago, I still keep it in tip top shape, except the crack in the frame. The other bike isn't really mine. And needs a brake bleed (I don't do hydraulic brake work myself) and a rear shock (too cheap to buy one). It never gets ridden, and was my mom's mountain bike, so doesn't come close to fitting me.

1 - Cannondale Road Bike
2 - HED TT bike
3 - Schwinn Grand Voyager (road bike) first year full Dura-Ace gruppo!! Much older than I am.
4 - Novara (REI brand) Cyclocross bike
5 - K2 Hard Tail Mountain Bike (frame cracked 7 years ago)
6 - Mongoose steel rigid mountain bike, with panniers, my grocery getter, and main commuting vehicle, for a VERY VERY long time
7 - Scott FS XC mountain bike
7+ - At LEAST two full road bike component sets in boxes on shelves, at least one mountain bike component set in boxes on shelves (no BB or bars), and a cracked TREK road frame that had about 20k miles before it gave up. I don't really have 'extra' wheels, I do move my road bike wheels between them bikes.

It's not like you can bike to the next charging station and bring back a canister of electrons :rolleyes:

Looks like a great bike though ... Just seems impossible to find anywhere to buy. Any hints?

This one was pretty much the flagship for dahon... dual bar folders are rare and this ones very light - 20 pounds.

I picked it up on amazon... you'll have to keep looking - maybe second hand.

All -

Here's the solution I went with -- Torklift Central Eco hitch with Saris Freedom Hitch Rack:

View attachment 19431View attachment 19432View attachment 19433

I didn't want to damage the interior of the car!
Haven't tested its effect on range - but hope to do that soon!

Aaron

Aaron, this is awesome. This vs roof rack - need to figure it out by late MAy - how does this aytach to the car? Did the service center help? Where to buy - C'mon - info please!