Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NAVIGATION: Google Maps OK, Nav needs update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zapped

Model S - PURE EV
Aug 8, 2012
Work<->Home
2 years ago a new freeway opened in our area.
I thought I'd try the navigation today. The Navigation directions did not show the freeway even though the Google maps displayed the road. Repeatedly told me to take another route.

Anyone update the navigation maps system ?. Not sure if this is suppose to be automatic or I should call TESLA service.
I understand the NAV is separate from google maps.

2 years ago a new freeway opened in our area.
I thought I'd try the navigation today. The Navigation directions did not show the freeway even though the Google maps displayed the road. Repeatedly told me to take another route.

Anyone update the navigation maps system ?. Not sure if this is suppose to be automatic or I should call TESLA service.
I understand the NAV is separate from google maps.

I had it worse, today for the second time the map shows a destination at the correct point but when selecting Navigate, it drives to a completely different location !

Anybody else has this experience ? I can prove this with two locations in Tampa so far.

I had it worse, today for the second time the map shows a destination at the correct point but when selecting Navigate, it drives to a completely different location !

Anybody else has this experience ? I can prove this with two locations in Tampa so far.

Yeah. Have seen this before. Not often but have seen it.

I'm disappointed in the Garmin part of the nav system. The voice prompts sound like decade-old technology. You can buy a stand-alone Garmin GPS unit at Costco for $130 that has flawless voice prompts and numerous other features not found on the Model S nav system.

Needless to say, the Google Earth part of the system would benefit from allowing the map to rotate, keeping the car icon pointed toward the top of the screen.

Last edited:
Just discovered that the Nav doesn't seem to have a categories feature like the Garmins I'm used to. Stuff like looking for fast food restaurants nearby, banks, etc. Maybe I'm missing something??

Use Yelp in the main browser to locate the name (and read the reviews), then type the name into the Nav system to get the directions.

Use Yelp in the main browser to locate the name (and read the reviews), then type the name into the Nav system to get the directions.
One of the mains reasons for having a standalone navigation system is to be able to locate POI (points of interest) without requiring an internet connection. Aside from that, the web browser is slow and fairly poor at recognizing button presses without massively zooming most web pages.

It's easier than that. Just search for anything in the map browser. It uses regular google map search. You can type in anything, companies, schools, even tesla supercharger, then press navigate.

Yes, assuming you know the name of what you are looking for. I've found Yelp to be helpful when I am looking for restaurants or entertainment because of the reviews.

It's easier than that. Just search for anything in the map browser. It uses regular google map search. You can type in anything, companies, schools, even tesla supercharger, then press navigate.

Sometimes it's nice to show POI icons based on categories to see what's coming up in the map. I used to use this a lot for gas stations that were right off a offramp. Obviously don't need that POI icon anymore, but ATM and restaurants were next on the list. They even had gas station/store icons on the map so you know if you were looking for a BofA you could see it on the map.

Yelp, recargo, blink, chargepoint, etc integration would be great. Someone needs to light a fire under the Tesla software development team.