Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like a nice design though, lots of space and the movable dividers would he handy. Wonder if they're going to try to undercut Soflauthor?

It does like nice indeed.

I don't think they'll intentionally undercut his price. If it's cheaper, it's most likely because that's what it will cost with a margin of profit for Tesla. Something tells me that the masses of Tesla owners will likely buy directly from Tesla without ever even knowing Soflauthor has ever created one just as nice.

I want to know what this means "and USB/power-cord pass-through".
To me the USB sockets should be just under the screen.
Would require fabricating a brackets with USB sockets under the screen, then using USB extension cable ... neatly divert them from the back to the front.

I think this is what they mean by the pass through -- looks like there is a gap between the CCI and the USB ports and 12V adapter. Looks like there is a flap that folds up towards the back of the car to expose the posterior compartment of the CCI.

cci-2.jpg

The forward "compartment" looks like it is revealed by sliding the door forward. Looks like there is an iPhone or something like that in one of the slots, which appear to be user-adjusted by the curved dividers. Looks like they provide 3 (more?) adjustable curved dividers to insert along the corrugated sides of the CCI. Something tells me this could potentially be very cheaply done.

cci-1.jpg

The other thing I can't tell is whether this thing actually has a floor or whether the floor of the CCI is the existing fabric of the center console floor.

I guess this is a good time to ask. For those who don't have a center console. Do you think you like the minimalistic feel better? Or will the center console insert be a welcome change? Do you miss the utility or like the reckless abandon of nothing in the middle? :)

I've been satisfied with the empty console and the Piel leather box. I am really enjoying the openness of the car.

I suppose I will have to see how much the insert is. If less than $500, I will consider it. Otherwise, I'm in no rush to buy one at all.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I guess this is a good time to ask. For those who don't have a center console. Do you think you like the minimalistic feel better? Or will the center console insert be a welcome change? Do you miss the utility or like the reckless abandon of nothing in the middle? :)

I am really disliking things just rolling around in the centre tray (makes the car look so messy and they make noise at every turn, acceleration, or brake) as well as being in plain view. Someone was seriously stupid when they designed the rest of the interior aft of the dash--the dash is great. Had map pockets been in the doors it wouldn't be nearly so bad because map pockets hold things out of sight and keep the car from looking cluttered. The driver's cup holder is awkward to use as well. The cubby below the screen is useless--too small to hold anything.

Looking at the pictures of the drop-in console, the correct price is $250.

I think SoftAuthor's, with the cup holder that you can see, looks like a better design except for having only one cup holder but it's way too expensive. Also if I purchased it I can just hear, "Why did you get a console that doesn't have a drink holder for me?".

The modularity is actually quite brilliantly conceived. This is very individually customizable. If a person wanted to use the center space for purse or satchel it is still an option depending on where the curved dividers are placed. And it can be changed on the fly depending on what you are carting around that day. The quality of workmanship in the final product and its price will make or break it. But you've got to admit it's quite clever. It may not be as aesthetically pleasing as Soflauthor's design to many but it is more versatile. It will be nice for folks to have a choice. Now how about the back seat?

Now THIS is a real center console. I never liked Soflauthor's. That was just an absurd thousand dollar cup holder and tray, and when I saw pics of how it was constructed underneath, it looked REALLY cheap and flimsy. IMO a huge rip off. Now, Tesla's is one I would definitely buy. Looks much nicer, fits much better with the look of the car, and provides A LOT more room and functionality. I expect the price to be a hell of a lot more down to earth too, probably half the price of Soflauthor's. Can't wait!

I love my Model S, it's by far the car that I have most enjoyed of all those that I've owned (E63, M5, S4, etc.). I also fully understand what it means to be an early adopter, particularly the patience required of purchaser. Lastly, I get that some revolutionary "choices" made by the manufacturer turn out to be duds - hey, I view it as a game of probability, where if you're making radical choices, some will be amazing, others not so much. For me, the motor, the battery (so far!), the brain, the exterior design are all absolute homeruns. There are some minor quibbles that I have here and there on those elements, but by and large, I give each an A++. And, really, getting those revolutionary elements right is what makes this car such a pleasure to me. It just feels so awesome - literally - to drive this thing. I love it.

But IMHO, this empty center console was always just a huge whiff from the beginning. C'mon. Let's just call it what it is - a cut corner? a way to keep costs down? a Czech supplier who couldn't get it done in time? It doesn't really matter to me why it happened, just acknowledging that this was a miss is important. And it's sort of funny that in a car where storage is such a selling point, Tesla missed one of the most important, habitually-used storage elements. Quick grab items - Glasses, cups, mints, pens, notes, nick nacks, whatever - they go where exactly? It's a fun novelty to be able to put a bag or purse in this big, open space every now and then, but honestly, the floor in front of any of the passenger seats has worked just fine for me for years - it really didn't need to be re-invented. And practically speaking, you can't give a car breakneck acceleration and equip it with an open space like this. It is a big fat miss.

Anyway, I really like the look of this console. Also, agree with some of the other commenters - it comes down to fit and finish, particularly of those sliding dividers. Hoping for the best, b/c this is really my only gripe - which is absolutely amazing, considering all of the moonshots that the designers of this car have taken and landed.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I really like the look of the Tesla center console, and the modular functionality is great, too. But I really love having that empty space to put my bag. The cubby and glove compartment provide just enough hidden storage. I just wish the open console had a more finished look like the mock-ups that were posted months ago. The carpet just doesn't cut it, and I would actually pay to have it replaced with trim matching the rest of the dash.

I always thought Tesla left the center empty to show how roomy the car is without a transmission.

Also can anyone point me to a thread with the other CCI people are talking about?

Edit: saw the other CCI, and it's not bad either

Last edited: