Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona/New Mexico - I-40 Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm been thinking about driving my MS home from the Factory when my order is processed (probably later in the year).

One of my potential routes home (at least part of the way) is via Route 66; which closely follows I-40 thorough AZ & NM (all the way to Oklahoma City).

At first glance, it appears that charging in Arizona & New Mexico (except in ABQ) SMS to be very limited.

Does anyone live or drive along I-40 and can let me know what you use or simply what's around (or even what's on the horizon)? I know that SuperChargers are a potential... just not there (or even if any will be this year) m

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I took 40 from Barstow out to Santa Rosa before turning south to Clovis. I charged up at RV parks during the day, and either hotels drier outlets or 1772's (very slow...) overnight, (in Albuquerque). I take it that you are getting an 85kWh? It's very doable, it just will take some time to make the trip without superchargers out past Barstow.

Peter

Thanks Pete... I've had similar thoughts on charging; except doing the overnight charging at a RV park (or KOA) and staying at a close hotel.
I wasn't sure how accessible the dryer outlets would be (those are 14-50 also, right?)

Do you remember where you charges/stayed at on your trip?
For me, I would go from Santa Monica to Barstow, do a full charge at the SC, and then go to Needles. At that point, I would need to do a charge and the either spend the night there or be able to continue to Kingman (either going through Oatman or directly via the interstate).

I may be underestimating what the range could be; I'm using either the 2/3 rules or that 1.25 rated miles=1 actual mile.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete... I've had similar thoughts on charging; except doing the overnight charging at a RV park (or KOA) and staying at a close hotel.
I wasn't sure how accessible the dryer outlets would be (those are 14-50 also, right?)

Do you remember where you charges/stayed at on your trip?
For me, I would go from Santa Monica to Barstow, do a full charge at the SC, and then go to Needles. At that point, I would need to do a charge and the either spend the night there or be able to continue to Kingman (either going through Oatman or directly via the interstate).

I may be underestimating what the range could be; I'm using either the 2/3 rules or that 1.25 rated miles=1 actual mile.
I did the Barstow/Kingman on a range charge from Barstow with no problem. Stayed at the Kingman KOA, which has nice cabins (or Kabins as they say.)